Quantcast

Tree bar-ends anyone?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Just curious if anyone else here is using or has used the Tree bar-ends?

Picked some up over the holidays and I really like them. Very nice quality, as always expected from Sam over at Tree, and very light too. Also easy to thread all your bars if you own or have access to a 20mm X 1.5mm pitch tap, making them ridiculously simple and easy to install.
I really don't like big plug bar-ends, and I absolutely hate the "cap" type ones that take up bar-space. Most out there seem to be unecessary complete overkill. These Tree ones just sit nicely at the end of the bar, very low profile, and match up with the grip end super smoothly and holds them in place no problem. They also match the Tree h10 hybrid headset cap/bolt I just threw on too (thanks for that tip Stoked, I dig it!).

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance, I've only got access to dial up internet right now and it is worthless for uploading pictures.

let's hear what you all think, or post up some pictures of the tree bar-ends if you've got some. :clapping:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
yeah, I use the cheap plastic bar ends with the expanding plug. I really don't like them and will prolly pick up some fly ones before too long.

the trees are made by super rat if I'm not mistaken. VERY good schtuff!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Satori - post some pics when you get a chance. I really dig Tree products - the few I have used seemed so dialed. BTW, where did you get the tap from? That's the one thing preventing me from getting a pair of them.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I just got the tree hot bars for $40 and they are SICK. Extremely light and are said to be extremely durable with a large radius bend making them less prone to snapping or bending. I too love the design of the bar ends and how they just screw directly into the bars, thus making them less likely to come out or take dirt samples on my next hard fall to the ground. Also, metal is less likely to shatter like the cheap plastic bar ends that usually come with grips. The only downside to the bar ends is the price.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Yeah, all great points. I know there are lighter ends out there, I have two sets of the kink lightest (as well as the fly plastic that comes with the grips...), which are both ligther than the tree, but the point of this thread is the thinking that went into, and the innovation behind these nice simple little bar-ends.
by the way, those eastern bar-ends are ridiculous, full of speed-holes (which I am typically obsessed about, haha) that will just pick up dirt everytime you lay it over.
Price for the trees isn't too bad, just another 5 spot on top of regular prices I've paid.
As for the tap, I've got drawers full of them in the ol' barn here, and I live just down the street from a few machine shops. It isn't something you'll find at home depop or ace, but you can find them online easily... 20 X 1.5mm... or have your LBS do it up if they are tree equipped.
And yeah, I agree Superrat is some cool stuff and Phil is a badmammajamma... but I gotta say, not sure if it's because they specialize in 99% only bmx stuff, but they did mess up a tree sprocket I sent in to have profiled for a 9spd chain. It doesn't fit.

I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance here...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i like how this looks. i wonder if it works and if it would sit at the beginning of the bar. guess you run the risk of getting a penny stuck in your bar. pretty cool though. swiped it off BG.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
haha, roughly reminds me of the SyCip seatstay caps they use on their frames.

still gonna shred your grips, as obvious in the pic, and like v-digit said too...

Is it legal to speed-hole a penny? or is that defacing currency or something, haha... I've heard the alloy the mint is using these days is a nice weight saver over the old copper models.

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
My mountain bike has alloy bars with some funky inside diameter; an empty 20 Gauge shotgun shell fits perfect. Redneck bar ends ftw!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Some quick pics.

bit o' speed holin' the pipe, and the tree bar-ends too...

same tree headset/bolt cap

My mountain bike has alloy bars with some funky inside diameter; an empty 20 Gauge shotgun shell fits perfect. Redneck bar ends ftw!

Rock & Roll. I'd like to see that one.

Sep 12, 2004
BikeSATORI: that is some pretty slick work you got going on your bike!

what type of stem is that by the way? - any other interesting mods you got going on your bike?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, stoked's got the news on the hs cap. I put one in both of my forks, so I can still easily swap back and forth between susp. and rigid...

BikeSATORI: that is some pretty slick work you got going on your bike!

what type of stem is that by the way? - any other interesting mods you got going on your bike?

Kink Relief stem.

Yeah, I've got a bookload of mods going on right now with the molly...

I'll start a new thread on it one of these days, but here are just a couple of rough early stage pictures just for fun...

took off about 3/8"+ from the dropout ends and rounded off... quick speed hole on each dropout. Might leave as is or dremel into a relief shape...

I just dremeled out the reliefs on this old odsy Mono-lever... but for christmas I did get a colony transformer from my GF... yeah, call me a hypocrite, haha, I was rippin' on that lever when it came out!
Dremeled my seatpost clamp too but no pics...

20mm X 110mm marmoset.

dremeled relief hole in Rebate dropout. (and you can see where I removed the rotor bolt holes from that old dimension hub a long time ago, and also ground off the disc tabs from the fork with and angle grinder too...)

9-spd profiled Tree (Lite & OG) 33t sprockets for my SplinterMX

Unlaced Marmoset 20mm on the Rebate 1420, waiting for a custom femaled 20mm axle to lose the 14mm nuts. Thanks to GMD big time! Gonna try to lace one up to the alienation duece quad...

quick pic of the irish lady before I tore her down yesterday to move onto the next stage...

Also hooked up a sweet Profile race bolt-on axle for my SS rear hub. Dropped a LOT of weight over my old chromo, even when it was cut down and with alu. nuts...

hahaha... anyway, as you can see, this winter business is makin' me all squirrelly, sitting in the barn just staring at my bike and some tools! Fun stuff though when you can't ride.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
That's the set up I got. It's VERY light. great upgrade! Does yours look like this?
no, actually mine does not look quite like that. Do you have ti bolts or something? I just have the chromo's that came with the axle. Yours is a bit more "flush" than mine though, I like it.

v-digit said:
good stuff bikesatori - dope mods!
when you do ride, what/where do you usualy ride? how often?

Thanks a lot man. More to come, always more to come. Some really cool stuff too, I'll post up when the time comes.

Anyway, long story short (or not), after graduating my university I was a planet hoppin' ramblin' man for awhile, riding anywhere I could take my bike, callin' no place home except my backpack and bike bag... Was the lead mechanic for an ALAW big ride accross america, biking from Seattle, WA, over to D.C.
Also lived in Osaka, Japan for awhile (my GF is Japanese)... I would shred street everyday, whether just commuting to work or just going out for a bite to eat, cities in Japan are endless! but then my father passed away recently and I was forced to return back to the states, throw out the boat-anchor and become a home-owner... So now here I am, payin' bills to the man, living out in the boondocks surrounded by nothing but forest and state land. No street riding to speak of here, but I do dig the woods, plenty of trails and a nice hidden spot where I'll begin resurrecting some old dj's once winter lays off of us... looking forward to that.
Anyway, one day soon I'll hit the road again once the business is taken care of...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
no, actually mine does not look quite like that. Do you have ti bolts or something? I just have the chromo's that came with the axle. Yours is a bit more "flush" than mine though, I like it.
The bolts are nothing more than counter sunk standard allens. they are rusting so they aren't ti. I was talking with beerz about it and he said it didn't look like a standard profile hop-up. I got the wheel from Castle that posts on here, maybe he can add something. I really do like it though. Since I never plan on running pegs, it's perfect for me...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Tiles

you're right it isn't the standard allen bolt kit. it looks like a custom spacer was made and he used bitchin bolts from profile cranks. i remember seeing that when castle was selling but i never asked. regardless its cool looking.

Satori

sorry to hear about your pops. where you calling home now?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Ti Axle and think of over grown bitchen bolts with the connacle washer but the washer has a lip on the back to step down (rest in the dropouts) the 14mm drops to 3/8's spacer, all one piece though. They were machined...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Ti Axle and think of over grown bitchen bolts with the connacle washer but the washer has a lip on the back to step down (rest in the dropouts) the 14mm drops to 3/8's spacer, all one piece though. They were machined...

That's really trick! I'd like to see/hear more about that axle. I'm all set with my alu. one, but I always like to see some one-off stuff. Just curious, where did you get the machining done?
And yeah, I've actually just got a very nice GMD axle to run a marmoset on my Rebate, and it bolts on with some bitchin' bolts (Same as g-sport 3/8 X 17mm bolts but cleaner. :clapping: no larger countersunk spacer though, don't see the need for one on the little rigid fork dropouts.