Tree monkies (GFF?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
More suburban white people problems.

So this tree in my back yard. It suffered a little in the last wins storm. It's a maple with 5 separate trunks. The middle one broke. But the tree is just a bunch of tangled nonsense. I'm thinking of just taking down 3 of the 5 trunks. They are all kind of intertwined....and it would let it a bunch more sunlight to my yard anyway....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Make sure to leave a nice strong branch to which you can tie a tire swing (or noose, once you realize how hopeless it all is)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
face all three trunks the direction you want them to fall, then back cut them so they all fall together. its the only way you will get that broken one out of the mix without climbing.
Yeah I was kind of counting on having to do some climbing. There are some limbs that might damage an adjacent tree on the way down if I don't.

I'm really going to have to invest in my own chain saw one of these days....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Get one of your helicopter buds to rip them out by the roots. Tie a big chain to the bottom and fly away. Or Napalm, either way....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Get one of your helicopter buds to rip them out by the roots. Tie a big chain to the bottom and fly away. Or Napalm, either way....
I'd need a permit for that

Actually truth be told, I would need a permit to do what i'm planning. Town requires a permit for anything over 4" in dia. We like our trees here.

But this is in the back yard....and I can dry this stuff an burn it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Just pay somebody.
I fought for years precariously climbing my pin oak trying to keep it a normal size. I finally said F it and paid $900 to get rid of it. Got over $100 for the firewood to offset the cost. Plus, I save about 20 hrs a year not raking leaves. At this point, I'm actually making money.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Isn't it a federal law in Canada that you have to play hockey and behold the storied Maple tree. Can you atleast make some syrup first? Will the Westboro Baptist church picket your house if you get caught cutting it down? As I suspect that you may be unaware that God Hates Fags and Lumberjacks.....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I started going at this yesterday. Took down some branches. Need to go steal my dad's ladder. It's taller than mine. Two more branches i think....then I can go for the trunk. It's been quite a puzzle to cut the pieces off without them falling on me...

stupid trees...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Success!! I managed to drop the offending trunk with surgical precision. I'm impressed with myself. It took some time but I got it to fall straight down and land right beside the fence.

And I drew no blood, I didn't fall off the ladder.

Qualifies as successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.