Quantcast

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
Congratulations to James Colegrove, Dylan Howes and Jose Gonzales of Trek on being granted the spilt pivot patent in October and receiving their patent number in November.

After a long discussion with the patent examiner and many official letters from the designers about the conception and production of split pivot samples, the guys proved they designed, made and even test rode split pivot frames before Dave Weagle was able to file his patent. The Session 77 and a Patty Fatty test bikes have proven more valueable than just initial concept test bikes but through emails and other internal official documents from James, Dylan and Andrew Shandro, they have been started before Dave.

Trek looks to continue strong now that the patent office has finally concluded an extensively long look into prior art, historical data and personal interviews with the many guys involved with this from the start.

Congratulations to all.

Attachments

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Bro, is dw & split pivot the only things you have to post here? Very suspect.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so how exactly does this affect patent 7,717,212 (awarded May 18 2010, filed August 25, 2006)?

After a long discussion with the patent examiner and many official letters from the designers about the conception and production of split pivot samples, the guys proved they designed, made and even test rode split pivot frames before Dave Weagle was able to file his patent.
When did Trek file their patent for ABP?

Based on the above statement (assuming its all true, not that I'm trying to refute it), and assuming Trek filed their patent AFTER dw did, from an IP perspective all this means is that DW can't go after Trek for patent infringement.

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
he just suggested we all read the file wrapper for the patents which log every comminucation between the patent office and the inventor. It holds the history to how a patent comes to be if granted.

Reading both the Trek and Weagle applications file publicly available in PAIR has been interesting because all the rumors on the internet can be answered in their files of who did what and when and maybe even why there never was anyone licensing an idea from the other waiting for these to come to an out come.

Good luck and congratulations to all for this different solution that dates back to 1890 for vibration contol on velocipeds.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Congratulations to James Colegrove, Dylan Howes and Jose Gonzales of Trek on being granted the spilt pivot patent in October and receiving their patent number in November.

After a long discussion with the patent examiner and many official letters from the designers about the conception and production of split pivot samples, the guys proved they designed, made and even test rode split pivot frames before Dave Weagle was able to file his patent. The Session 77 and a Patty Fatty test bikes have proven more valueable than just initial concept test bikes but through emails and other internal official documents from James, Dylan and Andrew Shandro, they have been started before Dave.

Trek looks to continue strong now that the patent office has finally concluded an extensively long look into prior art, historical data and personal interviews with the many guys involved with this from the start.

Congratulations to all.
You mean the "have-the-floating-brake-arm-drive-the-shock-or-make-the-floating-arm-more-structural-and-all-parties-involved-with-this-patent-wreak-of-patent-trolling-pivot" ????

Seriously, these increasingly common, vaguely written suspension patents are super lame. Especially the ones that wreak of patent trolling such as SP/ABP and that new Santa Cruz one.

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
so how exactly does this affect patent 7,717,212 (awarded May 18 2010, filed August 25, 2006)?

When did Trek file their patent for ABP?

Based on the above statement (assuming its all true, not that I'm trying to refute it), and assuming Trek filed their patent AFTER dw did, from an IP perspective all this means is that DW can't go after Trek for patent infringement.
Not sure what is next but after many declarations from Trek and an interview with the patent examiner, Trek was able to prove right to prior so Dave's prior date was not held against them as prior art meaning they should be seen as first.

From here it all gets messy. Best of luck to all. At the end of the day bikes should be fun to ride.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not sure what is next but after many affidavids from Trek and interview with the patent examiner Trek was able to prove right to prior so Dave's prior date was not held against them as prior art meaning they should be seen as first.

From here it all gets messy. Best of luck to all. At the end of the day bikes should be fun to ride.
having prior artwork doesn't change the filing dates on the patents. All it can possibly prove is that they developed the same idea independently and earlier, and the only outcome of this is that it means that they cannot be found liable for patent infringement in the event that dw would go after them for it.

Trek however WAS first to market, but again, does not change the filing dates on the patents.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
having prior artwork doesn't change the filing dates on the patents. All it can possibly prove is that they developed the same idea independently and earlier, and the only outcome of this is that it means that they cannot be found liable for patent infringement in the event that dw would go after them for it.

Trek however WAS first to market, but again, does not change the filing dates on the patents.
and I believe this is also why Chumba racing is allowed to sell bikes that use the FSR (Horst Link) design for which Specialized owns the patent. Chumba did not patent this design, but they were able to provide prior artwork that they designed it independently and before FSR was patented, so Specialized cannot touch them, and they can continue to sell their bikes with that suspension.

(if this info isn't accurate, please feel free to correct it)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so from that little jpeg you attached this patent hasn't technically been issued yet (November 23rd 2010?) lol.

Also, looking up the application, Trek filed AFTER dw. So them having prior artwork isn't enough to nullify dw's patent. All it means is that they are free and clear to produce bikes with ABP without fear that dw will go after them for patent infringement.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Seriously - i care about this why?

Because it affects who gets the $15 licensing fee?

I know this places is a little DW-centric at times, but you are coming across as too spiteful and biased for me.

Edit: I really did mentally check the date when i read the first post. It's November Brad, not April. What a waste of a rad prank this is.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wow, work for Trek much? Or do you just hate Dave? Pretty funny that your entire post history consists of bashing dave, or split pivot.
My thoughts exactly. No real info but a lot of trek adverstising and damage control after they lost some rep with the whole patent battle. Smells of Trekkies for me ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My thoughts exactly. No real info but a lot of trek adverstising and damage control after they lost some rep with the whole patent battle. Smells of Trekkies for me ;)
Not to mention how he obtained that memo... seeing as how the patent hasn't officially been released/published yet. A letter of that kind from the Patent Office would generally only be sent to the applicants or legal department of the company they work for :clue:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not to mention how he obtained that memo... seeing as how the patent hasn't officially been released/published yet. A letter of that kind from the Patent Office would generally only be sent to the applicants or legal department of the company they work for :clue:
maybe he knows some people that know some people that robbed some people.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
:van rolls up: my boss ordered them and they sent us some extras :rofl:
We actually got an extra pallet of very expensive fixtures for one of our projects at work last week (4 pallets were delivered instead of three with no bill of landing either). You need some T5HO 8' 6 bulb fixtures? Our electrical contract suggested eBay when we figured it out.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I honestly doubt Trek would employ someone lacking enough professional common sense to make a post like this on the internet. But way to point fingers?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I honestly doubt Trek would employ someone lacking enough professional common sense to make a post like this on the internet. But way to point fingers?
Professional common sense contrary to popular belief is not so common in big companies. Hell anywhere. I work as a translator and I can assure you I end up translating some really blunt PR stuff.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Professional common sense contrary to popular belief is not so common in big companies. Hell anywhere. I work as a translator and I can assure you I end up translating some really blunt PR stuff.
It goes without saying that if this thread were in any way affiliated with Trek, that it would have been removed many hours ago. I think people on here are a bit too quick to think that this is anything more than some douche with a grudge slinging mud on the tubes.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
You guys would be amazed by the amount of times people have come up to me like that as I'm going through a best buy parking lot... :rofl:
I can get you anything you want from Home Depot. No affiliation of course, but the guys will actually take orders.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

Congratulations to all.