Quantcast

Trek Bicycles Sponsors Motorcycle Riders

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
<i>From Bicycleretailer.com</i>

MARCH 22, 2004 -- WATERLOO, WI (BRAIN)--Zapata Espinoza wasted no time exerting a little influence at Trek. The company recently signed on as sponsor of three big motorbike names.

The trio includes: Ty Davis, WORCS national champion; motocross rider Ryan Hughes; and Mat Mladin, four-time AMA Superbike champion and 2003 Cycle News Rider of the Year.

"With Lance Armstrong as our inspiration, we wanted to align ourselves with athletes who stood out for their sense of courage, dedication and physical prowess," said Espinoza, Trek's brand manager. "Among motorcycle racers today, Mat, Ty and Ryan reflect those standards better than anyone."

Trek is sponsoring Mladin and Hughes individually and the entire Ty Davis off-road team, which includes Nathan Woods, Ryan McIntyre and Andy Jefferson.

Mladin and Hughes are cross-training on Trek's Madone 5.9 road bikes, and Davis is riding a Liquid 35 trail bike and an aluminum/OCLV 2300 road bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
This seems like a pretty silly move to me when so many good MTB riders are in need of sponsorship. Comments?
Seems silly at first but it looks like they are trying to pull non bikers into biking. Sponsoring a cyclist will get cyclists to buy Treks. Sponsoring non cyclists might get not cyclists to buy bikes. Looks like they are trying to boost the market instead of just boosting their market share.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
what's next? The Trek halftime show at the superbowl? The Trek open Golf Tournament? Maybe sponser a Hockey team, or Softball or something? Seems like an ok idea on it's face, but maybe the money would be better spent with helping NORBA give some prize money to pro's so our National series will have more prestige than a neighborhood race in tijuana....... Zap is a j'a$$ anyway, why should I care?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Most likely this is just Zap stroking is own ego. Didn't he babble about motorcycles all the time when he was a magazine editor too?

Once Trek realizes they've been had, and Zap just spent a bunch of their money on basically a personal hobby of his, they will most likely do the same thing the magazine did: put him in the unemployment line.

Not too many people get a second chance like he's getting right now, kinda sad to watch him blow it.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Trek apparently brought Zap in to be a "different" thinker. His moto-leanings are not exactly recent or unknown...

Sponsoring more bike racers might be good for the bikers, but would that be good for Trek as far selling more bikes? Maybe. Maybe not.

Putting the Trek name out in front of new audiences, however, is generally considered a good idea. Not to mention the Trek name emblazed on rider's leathers may very well get Trek more TV exposure (for what it's worth) than sponsoring any number of biker racers. They already sponsor the biggest bike racer in America and how many bikes has it sold for them?

Either way, the proof will be in the sales.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
A local shop gives a hook up to a NASCAR race team. Specifically hooked up the driver and owner with a bike and cuts deals to the employees of that particular team. The idea being was that all of these NASCAR guys hang and ride together. In the end it was pretty big boon for the shop's business across many of the teams. Now they could have given those bikes to someone more "deserving" but what makes more sense from a business perspective.

Businesses have to be creative especially when the economy is tight. Specialized did this long before Trek and Zap did this. These companies are doing anything they can to sell more bikes. Finding new markets and consumers is not a stupid idea. Adding one more XC or DH racer to an already substanial racing program isn't really going to help that out. Finding new sponsorship opportunities in other areas will.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It actually sounds like a really good marketing plan. Why? It is about demographics... Who rides MotorBikes? Who rides mountain bikes? Probably a very similar demographic.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
It actually sounds like a really good marketing plan. Why? It is about demographics... Who rides MotorBikes? Who rides mountain bikes? Probably a very similar demographic.
Maybe if they were going after the downhiller demographic. But they don't even make a downhill bike, or have a downhill race team. :confused:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Echo
Maybe if they were going after the downhiller demographic. But they don't even make a downhill bike, or have a downhill race team. :confused:
Exactly what I was thinking.

The whole moto concept worked out well for Cannondale, didn't it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Crap, when I first read it I did not realize Zap was involved. I figured a bunch of market research went into this, now it just sounds like the rantings of that freak. What is Trek thinking, he just ran a cycling publication into the ground, let's see what he can do for us.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I think you are under estimating the demographic for both MX and MTB. They are advertising to the people watching the sport, not just participating.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
trek just bought Zap a very expensive pit pass. Could he not afford to buy one on his own? Seems like he just needs a better excuse to go do what he really wants. Guess there was not an editor position available at Motocross magazine?

I hate Zap....

okay, got that out of the way.

I do think that cross marketing to mx is a good thing. Those guys use stationary bikes, or bikes on a trainer to warm up before races, mx and sx and the off-road racers too. They all need enormous amount of talent but also a tn of cardio too. Therefor most of them cross train on road bikes or mountian bikes.
But I doubt that Treks thinking is to get the moto guys themselves buying Treks, I think their true motivation is to get the bikes in the pits where they are seen by thousands of crazed moto-heads scanning through the pit area more frenzied than YetiDHer at Sea Otter pits.:D

It's all about exposure. Some dude, that just bought a CRF450x because Ricky chose to dump the 250 this year, see's that Ricky is still at the races hanging in the pits rolling on his bicycle, guess what, come monday morning that dude is checking out bicycle at the local shop.

It's all about the bling-bling

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Internal14
I do think that cross marketing to mx is a good thing. Those guys use stationary bikes, or bikes on a trainer to warm up before races, mx and sx and the off-road racers too. They all need enormous amount of talent but also a tn of cardio too. Therefor most of them cross train on road bikes or mountian bikes.
But I doubt that Treks thinking is to get the moto guys themselves buying Treks, I think their true motivation is to get the bikes in the pits where they are seen by thousands of crazed moto-heads scanning through the pit area more frenzied than YetiDHer at Sea Otter pits.:D

It's all about exposure. Some dude, that just bought a CRF450x because Ricky chose to dump the 250 this year, see's that Ricky is still at the races hanging in the pits rolling on his bicycle, guess what, come monday morning that dude is checking out bicycle at the local shop.

It's all about the bling-bling [/B]
Thats what I meant :cool:

Marketing isn't always about who the product is good for, but more for who is watching the event. I mean come on think about it if that was the case it would be the High Times or Graphix rampage, not RedBull. :devil:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Seems like a silly move to me, but what the hell do I know?

Maybe if they brought some chi chi DH bikes to races, if they had them.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Until Mr. Moto realizes that a new Madrone is a downpayment on a new pickup, that is.

Zap is actually stupider than I thought. That surprises me :D

Mar 21, 2004
north carolina
we all ride the same mindwave (TKK)..if it wasn't bikes it would be moto, if it wasn't moto it would be sk8's, if not sk8's then snowboards..yada yada on adnauseum. Trek is looking for brand recognition across demographics. Sap (sic) is a vehicle. Once the destination is acheived..poor Zap will prob be looking for work.

I can tolerate the guy simply because he is passionate about bikes.

special O

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
I think its a good idea. I remember an article I read about Ricky Carmichael training on road bikes and getting tons faster at MX. I searched on google for a bit and saw this, I guess Trek isn’t the only one sponsoring MX racers:

-This past Friday, Feb. 6, Specialized staffers were treated to a rare visit by a champion of the other two-wheeled sport. Current AMA Supercross, Motocross champion, and Specialized sponsored rider, Ricky Carmichael stopped by the Specialized Design Center for the morning. After taking a tour of the design facility, Ricky inspired the group with details about his training regimen which includes as much as 3 hours per day aboard his S-Works E5 road bike or S-Works Epic.

After signing a few hundred autographs, he was off to San Francisco to watch his teammates compete in round 6 of the THQ Supercross race series. Ricky's 2004 season debut will be in May at the 2004 AMA Chevy Trucks U.S. Motocross Championship in Sacramento, CA. See you there.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909

Oh, that's right, they don't make the Diesel.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by MtnbikeMike
Oh, that's right, they don't make the Diesel.
When was the last time you saw one of those? Our Trek dealers don't carry it. They don't sell it as a complete bike. No pros race it. Sorry but that ain't a real DH bike to 99.9% of downhillers.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
When was the last time you saw one of those? Our Trek dealers don't carry it. They don't sell it as a complete bike. No pros race it. Sorry but that ain't a real DH bike to 99.9% of downhillers.
well i guess private joker is lucky to be in that tenth of a percentage point...he must not know what a *real* DH bike is, nah, how could he after owning a super 8, two nicolais and a brooklyn? well, aside from the super 8, those don't come as complete bikes either, so they must not be real DH bikes.

that diesel he's got must have been a mistake for a 222 or something...

btw, i've seen at least two different diesels over here in ireland. i will agree that 1) they are not too common and 2) they don't personally appeal to me.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Didn't mean to diss the man's bike :p

Sometimes I wonder if people are just trying to be contradictory. Must be the weather.

If someone wants to actually say that Trek is serious about DH, let me know so I can have a good laugh at your expense. Otherwise quit nitpicking details, because OF COURSE there's someone out there who bought the Diesel and is happy with it, but we all know Trek is the least DH/FR oriented of the big guys.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nitpicking is the backbone of internet discussion boards. either that, or mindless bickering like hope vs hayes, or zoke vs manitou/rockshox. or v brakes vs maguras, if yr an old-school trials guy.

btw, i *was* just being contradictory in this thread :D, but not in the zoke thread.

damn i tried to find some pics of PJ's diesel, but to no avail.

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
For everyone complaining that it's stupid when "so many good mountain bikers are without sponsors" remember that bike companies have been sponsoring motorcycle riders forever. Ever catch all of the Specialized logos on Pastrana's helmets? How about the yeti logos on Doug Henry? In fact there's hardly a top 20 MXer that doesn't have a bicycle sponsor. Besides getting the brand out to people that don't ride, all of the motorcycle racers are amazing bike riders. I've been on XC rides with Doug Henry and Ivan Tedesco (and tons of off-road guys you probably wouldn't know) and they would smoke most local Expert cross-country races. I think sponsoring them is actually far more valuable than giving bikes to some expert level riders that will just complain about them on the internet anyway.

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Anyone remember CART racer Paul Tracy running the Yeti logo on his helmet? I seem to recall him having a full suspension Yeti as his pit bike at the Vancouver races. I think I even saw a Yeti ad with him in it in some bike magazine years ago.

I've read that quite a few of the CART guys ride mountain bikes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Searched with google and found a pic of one of his bikes.

And a pic of him riding a Yeti.

Ricky's 2004 season debut will be in May at the 2004 AMA Chevy Trucks U.S. Motocross Championship in Sacramento, CA. See you there. [/B]

oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!! oh my god!!

I can't wait. Seeing Ricky's return in my backyard at Hangtown!! Look out K-Dub...Ricky's coming atcha. Yo Snake...get back under the rock before Ricky runs ova yo head!

Can't wait!!!

Feb 24, 2004
Greenville, SC
I was at Road Atlanta this year and saw a few guys on bit bikes...my favorite would have to be a Ferrari mechanic who was on a S-Works Epic.

And im hoping the person that thought the MX thing worked out for Cannondale was only kidding...?! Cuz last time I chekced that ran them into the red ink pretty fast.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Originally posted by Ctfphotos
For everyone complaining that it's stupid when "so many good mountain bikers are without sponsors" remember that bike companies have been sponsoring motorcycle riders forever. Ever catch all of the Specialized logos on Pastrana's helmets? How about the yeti logos on Doug Henry? In fact there's hardly a top 20 MXer that doesn't have a bicycle sponsor. Besides getting the brand out to people that don't ride, all of the motorcycle racers are amazing bike riders. I've been on XC rides with Doug Henry and Ivan Tedesco (and tons of off-road guys you probably wouldn't know) and they would smoke most local Expert cross-country races. I think sponsoring them is actually far more valuable than giving bikes to some expert level riders that will just complain about them on the internet anyway.
CTFphotos is on the right track here....many, many MX riders have bike sponsors and have for years. Most all of your top-level MX pros and amateurs all cross-train on bicycles.

As a bike-industry employee who just sponsored a major MX superstar, it's not what everyone thinks. No cyclists or member or a pro cycling team is being denied sponsorship because we sponsored a MXer...truth be told, most all these companies (including us) aren't paying these guys a dime....they get a couple bikes and we get logo placement on their helmets. Maybe we can use their likenesses in an ad...but that's it.

It's no big secret that the cycling industry is in a bit of a funk...cross-marketing is critcal and onlt helps to grow what's otherwise a rather finite market.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Yeah I think Robbie Gordon was into MTB back when he raced CART. He was a tool though.
care to elaborate? or is this another "fact" that you just made up out of boredom?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by punkassean
care to elaborate? or is this another "fact" that you just made up out of boredom?
It's an opinion. Sorry if you don't like it. Care to elaborate on why you think I make up facts?

One example of why I think he was a tool was in Cleveland (don't remember what year), after the race had ended and he got beaten by Michael Andretti (fair and square with no contact), on the cool down lap he deliberately caught up to Andretti and wrecked both of their million dollar cars (and risked injury to both of them) because he was mad that he lost.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
didn't you say trek doesn't make a DH bike earlier in this thread? They have a fairly strong campaign with Andrew Shandro and although the deisel is a fairly simple design, it actually performs well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Robbie Gordon is an innovator in the desert racing world and his trucks are still the best made period. My point was just that if you think he was a tool but are not sure it's better to keep your mouth shut. on the contrary if he did something in particular to you then let us know. sorry if it sounded harsh but I am a big fan of his and I don't know if monkeys know about his rep. in the desert world. or if they care for that matter.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by punkassean
Robbie Gordon is an innovator in the desert racing world and his trucks are still the best made period. My point was just that if you think he was a tool but are not sure it's better to keep your mouth shut. on the contrary if he did something in particular to you then let us know. sorry if it sounded harsh but I am a big fan of his and I don't know if monkeys know about his rep. in the desert world. or if they care for that matter.
Robby Gordon is a tool. A complete tool for that matter. He is an abrasive and angry person that seemingly has no appreciation for what he has and how he got it.

On numerous occassions I have seen him be a complete and utter jacka$$ to folks simply asking for an autograph. He dropped his bike (mentioned earlier) at a local shop. A 9 year old recognizing, went up to him and asked very very politely "Mr Gordon could I please have your autograph." Gordon looked at him like he threw sh!t on him and said "I don't have time to sign an autograph for you kid." And then roamed around the shop for the next 5 minutes. Around these parts its a completely unforgivable sin to do that especially when you are a NASCAR driver. I've seen him do that at least 2 other times, personally.

It makes it even worse that when in comparison, pretty much every other NASCAR driver goes completely and utterly out of their way to be as accessible as possible.