Quantcast

Trek Dealer Show Updates

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Hey guys, a short one this morning, I'll post details and pics as I get time.

New things that are fun from Trek this year,

Fisher Ferrous 29er- Fun ride, moderatly priced for built in US, Nicely spec'd

Bontrager Race X Light Wheelset- DT 240 hubs, sub 500 gm rim, 1750 total weight, TUBELESS READY!!!!!, they are 28 hole again, which I debated with their head engineer for a while, He is going to send me their data sets compairing the 28's to 32-36 etc. He said that accourding to their testing, (which is huge,) 2 X 28 hole was the stiffest they tested.

Two actual tubeless tires from Bonty, these I'll keep mum for now, one is an existing tread, one brand new race tread that looks very promising, they are now listing XR's as tubeless compatable as well.

Manitou forks, Minute platform, I couldn't ride it, but looks nice, nice feel in the parking lot, MAYBE '07, but probably '08.

The Caliber line, fun to ride, super comfortable, fairly light weight, the downside- feels long and the rear end feels whippy around corners. The trails were really slick when I rode it, and my shoulder is not 100%, so this was a prelimiary test, but for an entry level rider looking for performance and comfort, this bike is going to rock. I would suggest that larger riders, (220 plus,) would look else where, as the flex will be very noticable. Little birds have told me that a new aluminum FS bike will be on the market from a smaller company that might work better, although at a higher price.

I have also heard rumour of a possible OCLV Trek for '08 and possibly a 5x5 from Fisher for '08 as well.

There it is, ready, go!!!

Here's to a new year! Cheers,
Ben

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Ben: I heard a rumor from the show that Rock Shox and Fox are in the proto type stages of developement on Genesis 2 compatible forks. Any chance that the excellent offsets these forks will have will ever show up on a 29"er fork? Seems like a no-brainer to help recover more investment on the companies part.

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I looked around for some specifics related to this. They werebeing rather tight lipped. Mostly what I got was a smile, nod and a "Just wait." One can only hope.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Hmm..........that sounds rather hopeful, but you never know! I just can not believe that it wouldn't happen. It makes way too much sense to me to turn this into 29"er forks and make some money while improving the handling and fit, especially for shorter riders, ya know?

When I interviewed Chris and Steve at Niner Bikes they hinted that there would be big news in the fork sector of 29"er parts. I'm hoping that this will be part of that!