Quantcast

Trek/Sam Hill????

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Introverted people can sometimes be mistaken for jerks because they don't talk much. Have you ever seen Sam Hill's interviews before? The dude barely says anything and when he does it's so quiet you have to strain to listen, and that's to reporters and regulars on the WC. I don't think it's because he thinks he's too good to talk to people, it's probably because he's uncomfortable talking to people.
Yes, Sam is an introvert and incrediably shy. He's never going to be a showman for the cameras or some loudmouth. And he's critised for that.

To the vandalism bs, I'm not sure who you're referring to, but joking around in the pits isn't something I'm going to call out as trying to be tough and crucify them for it. If it came down to it, I'd rather hang out with guy's like JD and Matti who actually have some inkling of personality.
No, you're don't know what I was referring to. Someone (or maybe two) messing with a one-off custom paint job and cutting all the brake lines... I call vandalism. I wont name names, because one of these fellows at least apologised, and I think people would be horrified to know who they were.

Last edited:

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
No, you're don't know what I was referring to, and what I called vandalism, was true vandalism. Someone (or maybe two) messing with a one-off custom paint job and cutting all the brake lines... I call vandalism. I wont name names, because one of these fellows at least apologised, and I think people would be horrified to know who they were.
Quite honestly I don't care what you're talking about. I've been more excited about the racing scene this year than in a long time thanks to the amazing amount of news and information that's been available lately. I don't care what goes on behind the curtains and it's exactly the sort of name dropping and "insider information" crap that annoys the hell out of people who are just fans rather than fanboys. Let the best rider win and he can work out his personal problems and interpersonal conflicts on his own.

I know people want their favorite rider(s) to be this fountain of personality that they can relate to but isn't it more important to enjoy the riding they do? (And then be inspired to go ride yourself?)

x

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
No, you're don't know what I was referring to. Someone (or maybe two) messing with a one-off custom paint job and cutting all the brake lines... I call vandalism. I wont name names, because one of these fellows at least apologised, and I think people would be horrified to know who they were.

I thought it was well known that peat and rennie did this for joke?

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Quite honestly I don't care what you're talking about.
You upset me. I really REALLY care what you're talking about.

I've been more excited about the racing scene this year than in a long time thanks to the amazing amount of news and information that's been available lately.
I couldn't agree more. The racing has been fantastic, whoever has been winning. But the quality of racing wasn't being discussed. If you want to discuss racing, I would suggest a thread on that, not sponsorship.

I don't care what goes on behind the curtains and it's exactly the sort of name dropping and "insider information" crap that annoys the hell out of people who are just fans rather than fanboys. Let the best rider win and he can work out his personal problems and interpersonal conflicts on his own.
And had I not quoted Sam, Dan Wask's response would have been "BS!" just as it was about the other matters. How else do you go about challenging a statement unless you can back up your claim? Granted, the validity of the words of a rep against mine, is no great challenge, but I doubt it would have convinced Dan his statement was wrong.

I know people want their favorite rider(s) to be this fountain of personality that they can relate to but isn't it more important to enjoy the riding they do? (And then be inspired to go ride yourself?)
??? I just said he was a shy kid. Where's your gripe?

Dan Wask got pissed because he made a big statement that was wrong, so he then had to bag Sam for it. It's his opinion sure, and he's entitled to it, but he's made one mistake already. I just suggest he may have made another.
I'm a little confused why you're getting your knickers in a twist over it.

Last edited:

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm not in a twist about any of this but I just find it weird that people want to air behind the scenes dirty laundry on a message board. I'd much rather talk about how good the racing has been this season than who did what to whom and who didn't shake hands with who after the race was over. By all means carry on your conversation and I'll go back to my normal comment free existence. Sorry.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I thought it was well known that peat and rennie did this for joke?
it's certainly no secret, but as far as joking around goes i'd draw the line well before the point of snipping a competitor's brake lines and spokes. the fact they did it while Hill's bike was on display at the SRAM tent right after he won 07 Worlds wasn't too classy either. SRAM and Syndicate share a pit and apparently the boys didn't like looking at the bike that just beat them. pretty lame really.:plthumbsdown:

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
the gist of it

poor sam!

My signature will get changed end of year:plthumbsdown:

you guys do realize theres probley a rebuttle to that descent post saying he's going to trek using a ridemonkey thread pic.......

id love to count how many times this has been said "i personally know (insert: sam hill, trek/specialized marketing director, trek/specialized rep, trek/specialized janitor, my and sams moms unborn child...) and they said sam is going to there company 100% for sure" theres a millions posts on every forum. and when he ends up riding for commecial we will all have a good laugh.........:rimshot::banana:

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
you guys do realize theres probley a rebuttle to that descent post saying he's going to trek using a ridemonkey thread pic.......

id love to count how many times this has been said "i personally know (insert: sam hill, trek/specialized marketing director, trek/specialized rep, trek/specialized janitor, my and sams moms unborn child...) and they said sam is going to there company 100% for sure" theres a millions posts on every forum. and when he ends up riding for Sunn we will all have a good laugh.........:rimshot::banana:
fixed it for ya;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
it's certainly no secret, but as far as joking around goes i'd draw the line well before the point of snipping a competitor's brake lines and spokes. the fact they did it while Hill's bike was on display at the SRAM tent right after he won 07 Worlds wasn't too classy either. SRAM and Syndicate share a pit and apparently the boys didn't like looking at the bike that just beat them. pretty lame really.:plthumbsdown:
I was going to cut your brake lines while in the lift line at the Open, but your arse was back at the tent spraying your precious helmet with PAM.:plthumbsdown:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I just love how little people need to believe something must be true. I don't care what is said and who says it, unless I hear it directly from Sam himself, until there is an official press release or announcement I won't believe anything I hear.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just love how little people need to believe something must be true. I don't care what is said and who says it, unless I hear it directly from Sam himself, until there is an official press release or announcement I won't believe anything I hear.
Sam's press releases only come via The OFCC (Official Forehead Caterpillar Communique)

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Dan Wask got pissed because he made a big statement that was wrong, so he then had to bag Sam for it. It's his opinion sure, and he's entitled to it, but he's made one mistake already. I just suggest he may have made another.
Whoa whoa whoa, who's angry? I'm hoping you didn't get upset over something I said, because I sure didn't cry over my mistake. I was just going by what my rep told me. If you look at my post, you'll see that in that same block o' text I bagged Sam for not having a personality, not after your response that he hasn't made a decision. So sure, I could totally be wrong, I'll admit that.

What the hell is going on in this thread?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
It isn't a joke when you are fighting for the overall and miss the entire first day of practice at finals because you have to have new wheels built and brake lines run.

It was after the race was it not?? It takes a whole day to run in new lines and build wheels?
Im not making excuses for them but for a pro mechanic surely thats 3 to 4 hours tops.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Yeah but Sam also likes to keep his winning bikes (so I've heard). The childish stunts he can probably get over, not so sure about the ruined paint though - wouldn't it kind of taint the memory?

It's kind of like bachelor parties, where blokes get up to childish stuff just because their mate is getting wed, but you have to realize this kind of stuff isn't everyones cup of tea. Sometimes people just don't appreciate being on the receiving end of a childish joke, probably the people that would never commit such childish jokes onto anyone else themselves.

The thing is people here seem to be saying, oh lets just talk about the glorious parts of racing, yes why not because if everything that goes on was publicized and widely known I'm sure that the sport would really struggle.

I don't think Sam should shave his eyebrows, but do you reckon he could go even faster if he did? Hmm but I tend to think even though they look like caterpillars they are probably still aerodynamic, like the anti drag coefficient to compensate for the helmet peak!

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
It was after the race was it not?? It takes a whole day to run in new lines and build wheels?
Im not making excuses for them but for a pro mechanic surely thats 3 to 4 hours tops.
and besides, they have fully built up spare wheel sets and every other part you can think of breaking ready to go incase he destroys a wheel or fork or frame or what ever on the way down, hardly going to be 20minutes to switch brakes and wheels, i know i can do it in less time and im no pro mechanic. i'd have been pissed if someone did that to my bike, but in time i think i'd calm down and see the funny side of it and i think it would add to the memory. 90% of those top 10 riders are great guys and are always looking for fun(sometimes in the form of a harmless practical joke). take it in the spirit of things and chill out, its not like sam even paid for the repairs either.

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Yes it was after the '07 Champs in FW. No, DH is not like road racing where they have a whole bunch of ready-to-go bikes on hand. And that is really beside the point. It was a stupid prank.

The team had six days before the Maribor race. They had to break camp at FW, drive to Maribor and then set up camp again. The mechanic's job is to do a lot of this ground work. By the time the bike could be fixed, a day of practice had been lost.

When Peaty saw how the prank had impacted into Sam's training time, he apologised for having done it. He knew he'd be totally pissed had it happened to him.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bike was traveling in the SRAM truck as planned and was a day behind the team, setup, driving for 2-3 days etc. At this point they did not know what had happened yet.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Steve Peat seemed like a good guy.

I was wrong. Really retarded feeling for practical jokes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I heard that while Sam Hill was wrestling a bear, Fabien Barel and Brian Lopes snuck up and gave the bear PCP and an axe. Sam Hill still won, but it was sketchy at best. FB and BL are pretty lame if you ask me.

who gives a crap? do you guys ACTUALLY care about what you're talking about? This is like getting involved in the kobe shaq controversy.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
who gives a crap? do you guys ACTUALLY care about what you're talking about? This is like getting involved in the kobe shaq controversy.
May I ask why you care about us caring? You posting in this thread tells me that you give a crap about us talking about the subject at hand. Seems to me you of all people are the one who needs to stop posting here.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
you're right, I really don't care enough to do anything other then interject my judgement and bail!

:banana:

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
The reason I say enough with the Sam Hill snipes and lame jokes, is because of just that, they are all now lame and very old. It has been going on for months, even years, and none of it is original any more.

For Sam's family, friends, and dare I suggest even fans, this stuff is now tastless and boring. We've got sick of reading it.

If you have a genuine reason to pick fault in something Sam has done or said, then your opinion is valid and we have no gripe. But if you've heard a whisper of a rumour of something someone's best mate brother said, just let it be. Don't go adding more nastiness to the manure heap out there, just because it feels good to belittle someone. You can keep your anonimity here in the forums but Sam is known and these things can impact on his life and on the people who care about him. I'm just asking for a little bit of human decency and consideration.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The reason I say enough with the Sam Hill snipes and lame jokes, is because of just that, they are all now lame and very old. It has been going on for months, even years, and none of it is original any more.

For Sam's family, friends, and dare I suggest even fans, this stuff is now tastless and boring. We've got sick of reading it.

If you have a genuine reason to pick fault in something Sam has done or said, then your opinion is valid and we have no gripe. But if you've heard a whisper of a rumour of something someone's best mate brother said, just let it be. Don't go adding more nastiness to the manure heap out there, just because it feels good to belittle someone. You can keep your anonimity here in the forums but Sam is known and these things can impact on his life and on the people who care about him. I'm just asking for a little bit of human decency and consideration.

besides, i'd rather have bushy eyebrows any day over the flabby bellies and cankles that many of you have. :cheers:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
holy crap, I can't believe we're actually discussing professional athletes and prospective teams that they'll be riding/playing for. it's almost like we're a real sport...

ok, not really based on some of the comments here, but wishful thinking.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Sam going to Trek seems like a great move for him. Good bikes, lots of money...what's wrong with that? It seems that the Ironhorse fans have forgotten where Ironhorse was before Sam started winning on them, or Rennie for that matter. Trek is a lot better off than they were then or even now. I really like what they have done with their rigs this year. They need a big name to take them to the next step and they have the cash and the resources...I say it would be good.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sam going to Trek seems like a great move for him. Good bikes, lots of money...what's wrong with that? It seems that the Ironhorse fans have forgotten where Ironhorse was before Sam started winning on them, or Rennie for that matter. Trek is a lot better off than they were then or even now. I really like what they have done with their rigs this year. They need a big name to take them to the next step and they have the cash and the resources...I say it would be good.

Sam isn't actually going anywhere, he's still riding for the Monster Energy team only they will be on different frames in '09. why is this still so hard for people to understand.:crazy:

as for the actual Trek team, it's being run by Martin Whitely and 23 Degrees so there's a pretty good chance it will be made up of at least a few riders he already represents: Blekinsop, Lehikoinen, Leov, Strait, Strobel, Vasquez, Minnaar, Fairclough. sure a few of them already have contracts but that's not much of an issue in the ultra high-stakes world of DH mtb racing.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I don't believe they are in contract with IH for the next year are they? That's what is confusing, that being said...with IH losing the coveted DW link I believe they have a claim at changing frame sponsors and that is where the speculation comes in...no secret and not hard to understand. You just need to have all the facts sorted out to get any ideas going and since no one has the facts sorted, to my knowledge, there will be speculation.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Sam isn't actually going anywhere, he's still riding for the Monster Energy team only they will be on different frames in '09. why is this still so hard for people to understand.:crazy:

as for the actual Trek team, it's being run by Martin Whitely and 23 Degrees so there's a pretty good chance it will be made up of at least a few riders he already represents: Blekinsop, Lehikoinen, Leov, Strait, Strobel, Vasquez, Minnaar, Fairclough. sure a few of them already have contracts but that's not much of an issue in the ultra high-stakes world of DH mtb racing.
so Sam will follow the DW Link. Fine for him - please close this thread now, it's August 2008 and we are only talking about 2009 line ups

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

I have strong loyalty to Monster Energy, in the same way I supported Bill Stapleton and Tailwind Sports during their seven TdF victories.

People care about bike sponsors more than team owners because they might actually buy one.