Quantcast

Trek Session 8 2008

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I found the prices off the whole session line up for this year.

Session 8 $2,499.99
Session 88 $3,499.99
Session 88 Frame $1,499.99
Session 10 Frame $2,499.99
Session 10 $4,499.99

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
this bike is far far far from the 10's hight pivot with roller.

it will feel nothing like it, guaranteed.
With out the CTE device this bike will have lot's off brake jack and chain growth i think.

Oct 9, 2006
Much better design, too bad trek stole it and is marketing it like crap (Active braking)
Just out of curiosity...how do you figure Trek "stole" the design....from what I heard it was an idea from inside Trek's design team...but from an engineer in a department not connected with frame development who happened to walking by the brainstorming group who was trying to figure out a way to make a better more active suspension design.

This could be a flim flam of a story but this is what I was told by Trek people in Whistler last August....however any answers to the questions about the new frame(Session 8) that I kept seeing on the mountain for about a week went unanswered with a hush hush gonna be out sometime if you are lucky kind of delivery.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Wow, everyone is still hating on Trek eh?

I bet if it said "sunday", or "socom" or some **** people would be jerkin' off all over the place right?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... let them hate. Then the dipshyts will keep selling session 77s to me for a thousand bucks apiece. :D

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I found the prices off the whole session line up for this year.

Session 8 $2,499.99
Session 88 $3,499.99
Session 88 Frame $1,499.99
Session 10 Frame $2,499.99
Session 10 $4,499.99

Wow.... if the Session 88 is speced anything like the one in the picture I think that may be my new ride next year. Seems like a lot of bike for that money. Finally looks like working at a Trek shop will pay off.

As for everyone hating on Trek.... I used to care, but now I don't. Their resale value isn't good on anything but the very top of the line because "everyone has one". Since "everyone has one" Trek has a lot of money to play with in their engineering budget. I'm just glad they put it towards a DH rig finally after redesigning the madone, fuel, and remedy.

Also.... anyone know when the Decline mag hits stores? I ran by the bookstore and it wasn't on the shelves yet.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Just curious does anyone know when these are supposed to be available. I wanted to get back into racing, and I'm affiliated with a local shop that sells Trek so I could get one at a good deal. But will they be out for this season.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just out of curiosity...how do you figure Trek "stole" the design....from what I heard it was an idea from inside Trek's design team...but from an engineer in a department not connected with frame development who happened to walking by the brainstorming group who was trying to figure out a way to make a better more active suspension design.

This could be a flim flam of a story but this is what I was told by Trek people in Whistler last August....however any answers to the questions about the new frame(Session 8) that I kept seeing on the mountain for about a week went unanswered with a hush hush gonna be out sometime if you are lucky kind of delivery.
Yeah they started work on this design in 05. You also have to wonder - Trek has had production bikes since May 31, 2007 with general dealer availability in summer 07 - which competitor had production bikes earlier than that or even prototypes earlier than Trek had prototypes?

http://www.trekbikes.com/fuelex/the_story/

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
That bike looks very good. The Fuel EX line is said to be an amazing working bike: very active under braking, good pedaling and bump absorbtion. The Session 8 shares their new design, and hopefully the characteristics that go with it. As long as they get the geometry right it should be a winner. For all the people who say it looks like a Kona, you need to study bicycle design as the method in which the shock is driven does not determine what design it is. Horst link bikes, Virtual bikes, single pivot bikes and this new axle pivot can all use the same rocker to drive the shock.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
For all the people who say it looks like a Kona, you need to study bicycle design as the method in which the shock is driven does not determine what design it is. Horst link bikes, Virtual bikes, single pivot bikes and this new axle pivot can all use the same rocker to drive the shock.
I think most people commenting on how it looks like a Stab are merely saying the seat tower/top tube configuration looks similar - nothing to do with the suspension.

Oct 9, 2006
This bike does have the ABP but it does not have the floating lower shock mount like the Fuels....the pivot for the rear chainstays is the same as it was on the Session 77s.

CA_Descender

Chimp
Nov 18, 2007
Simi, CA
It must be an ugly bike 'cause I like it. Almost makes me want to wait before getting my next bike so I can try this one out.

I think most people commenting on how it looks like a Stab are merely saying the seat tower/top tube configuration looks similar - nothing to do with the suspension.

Thats what I was thinking. After riding Stabs for the last 5yrs the first thing I thought of was a Kona when I saw the top tube/seat tower

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This bike does have the ABP but it does not have the floating lower shock mount like the Fuels....the pivot for the rear chainstays is the same as it was on the Session 77s.
Decline clearly says full floater and ABP in the last sentence of their article. Full floater must mean the shock mount style otherwise that would be like saying it has a floating brake and a floating brake:

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/session-8-2.jpg

Oct 9, 2006
I stand corrected then...the prototype I saw did not have it...but other than standing next to it in the lift line I didnt get a great look at it. Tried to ask one of the guys who was riding it and he was very uninformative in his answer.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
The full floater is when both the upper and lower shock mounting points pivot but on different leverage ratios. It is supposed to be felt most near the end of the stroke when it is more of a soft bottom than a very hars ramp up. Its a design I had always thought of in full sus. bikes but haven't really seen it until this design. (Though I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere??)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The full floater is when both the upper and lower shock mounting points pivot but on different leverage ratios. It is supposed to be felt most near the end of the stroke when it is more of a soft bottom than a very hars ramp up. Its a design I had always thought of in full sus. bikes but haven't really seen it until this design. (Though I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere??)
Floating shock mount is nothing new for MTBs...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know there are floating designs, I just thought they were designed differently than this one. I have always been a hardtail/standard 4-bar guy until recently when I started seriously looking into a new DH rig. :thumb:
Other than on the DW-link, floating shock mounts just offer a clean look with shock rate tuning vs. frame mount but aren't really that special. Motorcycles have been using them for longer than MTBs.

For MTB 4-bars there is a Dirtworks prototype DH bike (it was yellow, long time ago - forget its name), DW-link IF Tungsten, Nicolai Lambda (never seen the floating version myself but supposedly they made one), various FSR Fusion Bikes models, and others prior to Trek.

reminiscent of the bruiser series as far as aesthetics, lets hope the performance is a little less GAY (yes I mean gay)
I talked with the guys when they were in Whistler testing the bikes. These are prototype bikes, and as such may not look exactly like produciton bikes. The only specific thing I can remember them saying they would like to change is the sharp angle of the tube extending out of the top of the bb.

In response to session 10 haters, I rode one all of last season and was very impressed with the bike as a whole. Obviously, like everyone else, I wished it was lighter. And I wasn't a fan of the auto squeaking rear brake. The geometry on the bike was great in my opinion for racing. I used the low bb position and found the bike to corner really well and it had a balanced feel to it, even with 2 more inches of travel in the rear.

I can't wait to get on the 8 late this summer. I hope it has similar geometry to the 10.