Quantcast

Trek Session FR to DH

howe0193

Chimp
Aug 21, 2010
Wayland, MA
So I am in in the process of converting my 2009 Trek Session 88 FR to a 88 DH I am going to buy a Boxxer since the Boxxer's steerer is 1 1/8th and my current fork which is the Totem which is tapered 1.5 to 1 1/8th, what Cane Creek adapter do I need? the current headset is a ZS-3 I am wondering if I can just replace the lower bearing and what race will I need? I can't find any info on Cane Creeks webpage or any other articles.

Thanks, Greg

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I am not completely positive, but I believe all you need to install the boxxer is a 1.5">1 1/8 reducer for the lower race. You will have to order through your LBS though as I do not think this part is going to be normally stocked.

Give them this info and confirm with them that it will fit your headset before your purchase.

BTI SKU: DC-2006
Cane Creek : HD1406

Good luck and welcome to Ridemonkey!

bryantaber

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Actually, I just went thru this myself. If you have the stock headset that came with the bike, Cane creek, , they have a special reducer race to use a 1 1/8 steerer. just call Cane Creek. 828 684 3551 They have a couple of different races that solve your problem. They will ask you if your headset has an XX on one of the bearings to hone in on which headset you have. If you are going to put on a Boxxer with a 1 1/8 steerer , They will send you a 1/8 reducer race . You can just keep the old race right on the swapped out totem. It cost me 15.00 w/ shipping and deliverd in 4 days. Easy beans. You don have to change any bearings or reducer cups. Best thing is, you can keep the original race right on the Totem and swap out the Boxxer easily if needed. Dont go thru the LBS. My LBS gave me the wrong info right out the gate and told me I needed a whole new HS . Cane creek gets a dozen of these calls a week since they are the Stock headset for the Session FR. Good Luck

Last edited: