Quantcast

trek

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
I was thinking of getting a Trek Remedy 7 when I have enough money. Do you think the bike would hold up to the trails at Diablo. I was also looking at the 07 Fuel Ex 7. I also do alot of trail rides and jumping. I'm 5 foot 8 and 115 pounds.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Unless you ride with straight legs, you can ride anything at your weight. Ride on!

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
I was looking at the 6 point and 7 point bikes to or even a specialized bighit. What is better. Correact me if I'm wrong but at my weight I dont need to ride a bike that has like 6 inches of travel.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
don't rule out the Marin Quake line of bikes. I have ridden mine on trail rides, done dirt jumping, and raced downhill on it. It is relatively light for a freeride bike (mine is 36 lbs) has a great stable platform for riding and has adjustable geometry to be adapted to whatever riding you are doing. Check em out. If that is too much travel they also offer 5 @ 6 inch travel quad link bikes. I have dirtjumped my wife's 5" Marin Rift Zone and it was very predictable in the air, just make sure if you went that way that you would want to lean towards an XS or Small size if aggressive riding was on your list. The Fox suspension really sucks anything up you throw at it and I weigh 180 lbs. I have not ridden the new wolf ridge but if it performs as well as the rift zone and the quake it should be an awesome ride.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
I was looking at the 6 point and 7 point bikes to or even a specialized bighit. What is better. Correact me if I'm wrong but at my weight I dont need to ride a bike that has like 6 inches of travel.

well last season i was 110 and i rode a giant faith.

you should look at the giant reign if you really dont want that much travel.

but the big hit is nice also, are you planning on raceing?

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
The Remedy 7 with a 67 degree head angle and a 160mm Lyric fork would be fine at Diablo. That's a nice compromise bike if you're looking for one bike for both trail riding and Diablo duty.

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
well last season i was 110 and i rode a giant faith.

you should look at the giant reign if you really dont want that much travel.

but the big hit is nice also, are you planning on raceing?
Yeah I'm going to start racing this year or next year. I was talking to my dad about what bike he thought I should get and he said Specialized isnt that good. Hes a cop and they used to ride specialized(now trek)bikes. He said the bikes they got broke easily and they were pretty sh*tty. Is that true about Specialized because I always thought they made good bikes.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Yeah I'm going to start racing this year or next year. I was talking to my dad about what bike he thought I should get and he said Specialized isnt that good. Hes a cop and they used to ride specialized(now trek)bikes. He said the bikes they got broke easily and they were pretty sh*tty. Is that true about Specialized because I always thought they made good bikes.
That is not true, Specialized bikes are amazing. You can't really base a companies stuff on their low end bikes. I would go for a Big Hit if I was you.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I have seen a lot of specialized last years. but check this out first www.marinbikes.com The Quake is definitely the "ONE" bike, that can be raced DH, SuperD, Dual Slalom and mountaincross, as well as serve as a trail bike.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj

well the cops dont ride HIGH end bikes, and it really depends what bike you want from each company. Specialized it pretty kick ass same with ironhorse, but treck ehh

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I have seen a lot of specialized last years. but check this out first www.marinbikes.com The Quake is definitely the "ONE" bike, that can be raced DH, SuperD, Dual Slalom and mountaincross, as well as serve as a trail bike.
Not to sound like the rest of the tool kids on here but if Marin can make a bike (the Quake) that can race all those disciplines... what's the point of them developing the rest of their model mountain bikes?

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
we are talking about someone looking to do a little bit of everything, not someone wanting to be top pro in any one catagory, that is where bikes like the Santa Cruz Nomad, Scott Ransom and Marin Quake shine. Yes both the Nomad and Quake have numerous downhill championships under their belts (2 x masters world champion aboard the quake) but they can also both be used if you would like to dirt jump, 4x, and yes I have ridden the quake on all day adventures. As a matter a fact it is my bike of preference when going out on rides with small groups for "casual trail rides". But yes Marin does make bikes that are better suited for these types of rides. But just putting my two cents in because the original statement was made that he was looking for a bike that could handle diablo yet still be ridden on trails and such. This is an OPINION nothing more and nothing less. And like all opinions the information should go through your eyes into your brain, take out and use any usefull information, and dispose of the rest. by the way if you would like to test ride a few of the Marin models including the quake before buying let me know. I will not be making trips that way for a month or so but I could get a couple of the models down there to be ridden. Thank for processing my information. Now let the slamming begin:imstupid:

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
I'm going to have to agree on the Quake being the best all around bike ever. I road one for 2 weeks before it came out and I was amazed. I road North Star on it, shells(dirt jumps), road up Mt Tam on it, road down Mt Tam, and road DS and 4x at Sandhill. And I didn't have a single complaint about the bike. Get a Quake.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
we are talking about someone looking to do a little bit of everything, not someone wanting to be top pro in any one catagory, that is where bikes like the Santa Cruz Nomad, Scott Ransom and Marin Quake shine. Yes both the Nomad and Quake have numerous downhill championships under their belts (2 x masters world champion aboard the quake) but they can also both be used if you would like to dirt jump, 4x, and yes I have ridden the quake on all day adventures. As a matter a fact it is my bike of preference when going out on rides with small groups for "casual trail rides". But yes Marin does make bikes that are better suited for these types of rides. But just putting my two cents in because the original statement was made that he was looking for a bike that could handle diablo yet still be ridden on trails and such. This is an OPINION nothing more and nothing less. And like all opinions the information should go through your eyes into your brain, take out and use any usefull information, and dispose of the rest. by the way if you would like to test ride a few of the Marin models including the quake before buying let me know. I will not be making trips that way for a month or so but I could get a couple of the models down there to be ridden. Thank for processing my information. Now let the slamming begin:imstupid:

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe i'll have to "demo" one of these Quake machines.