Quantcast

Trek's new Helmet tech

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
You are aware that neurological damage from concussion injuries don't show up on any kind of imaging, right?
I don't know. What I know is that one of my buddies is a neurologist and head of the neurology department of a hospital close to me. He says my command unit is fine. I don't know what your professional knowledge in neurology is.

Also, there are critical comments on MIPS too https://helmets.org/mips.htm

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
while anything that does a better job of protecting you is generally good, I struggle with the big claims that these guys make. It's very easy to replicate a perfect situation in a lab, but nearly impossible to measure it in real life. That stuff looks like it will dramatically impede the flow of air to your dome...so if you're sweaty, hot, and want to die, you're more likely to crash (defeating the purpose of a fancy jellyfish sitting on your head). I know @StiHacka was bitching about his Smith helmet being too hot.

MIPS is a different story. I'm not convinced it's really as good as they say- that hair, sweat, pads, fit, and skin don't already replicate the rotating motion of MIPS, or that the value is really there over a traditional helmet. I guess I wouldn't -not- buy a helmet because it had MIPS, but it's not a selling feature for me.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
We have the helmets with wavecell in stock. Much better airflow than Koroyd. A bit heavier than a normal helmet.
Keep in mind this is more then just a slip liner. It absorbs forces better then normal foam.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
We have the helmets with wavecell in stock. Much better airflow than Koroyd. A bit heavier than a normal helmet.
Keep in mind this is more then just a slip liner. It absorbs forces better then normal foam.
I'd be super curious to see some independent testing verify that. It seems plausible to me, but I'd love to see something verify that other than the company trying to sell it to me.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I'd be super curious to see some independent testing verify that. It seems plausible to me, but I'd love to see something verify that other than the company trying to sell it to me.
Couldn't agree more. Check out Virginia tech. They test helmets independently. They get good ratings there even though they apparently use a test that that good be better.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I suppose I should have read the article.

Well if people (reviewers) actually like it, AND it does a better job, then I can get behind it. Styrofoam can probably be improved upon in a world viscoelastic materials and such.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't know. What I know is that one of my buddies is a neurologist and head of the neurology department of a hospital close to me. He says my command unit is fine. I don't know what your professional knowledge in neurology is.
i've had a few minor concussions myself. my wife is just getting over a significant one from a car accident a year ago. unless there's concern for more significant *physical* tissue damage, or internal bleeding, there's little value of imaging for a suspected concussion. the majority of concussion diagnoses are made through an evaluation of symptoms that are a direct result of it. things like balance, motor skill, cognitive function (critical thinking), short term memory loss, etc.

Also, there are critical comments on MIPS too https://helmets.org/mips.htm
the only valid complaints here concern a given company's implementation of the MIPS technology, NOT MIPS itself. the fact remains that the snell test standard (and other helmet test standards) doesn't evaluate rotational (tangential) forces (or does so to a very minimal degree). this is something that has been touched on by *every* company that has developed helmet technology intended to reduce rotational forces upon impact. basically, the test methodology being used by snell, ASTM, etc, isn't appropriate to evaluate these kinds of impacts, so helmet makers have to resort to developing their own methodology (and is why test methods/results from MIPS will vary from what trek is putting out, and will vary from whatever other method has been cooked up internally by other helmet makers).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Styrofoam can probably be improved upon in a world viscoelastic materials and such.
i'm assuming you're referring to EPS (expanded polystyrene). styrofoam is a trademark name for a particular grade of XPS (extruded polystyrene) used for building material. XPS wouldn't be suitable for helmets. i'm a little surprised that EPP (expanded polypropylene) isn't getting more attention for helmets; it has some better material performance characteristics (and can generally withstand multiple impacts, unlike EPS), but it can be more difficult to work with, and also more expensive.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm assuming you're referring to EPS (expanded polystyrene). styrofoam is a trademark name for a particular grade of XPS (extruded polystyrene) used for building material. XPS wouldn't be suitable for helmets. i'm a little surprised that EPP (expanded polypropylene) isn't getting more attention for helmets; it has some better material performance characteristics (and can generally withstand multiple impacts, unlike EPS), but it can be more difficult to work with, and also more expensive.

K

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Doesn't Poc use EPP in some of their helmets?