Quantcast

Tri-Cities area

haapf

Chimp
May 21, 2008
I will be finding out by this Saturday whether or not I will be relocating to the Tri-cities area. It is looking like that may be the case.

I have read through a few threads on this board and others relating to this area, but I can't find much new information. So, how is the riding?

A little on myself. I have been blessed to live in amazing riding locations for the last 10 or so years. I have been riding XC casually for most of my life. I picked up my Norco back in '05 and riding became more of an obsession. I hooked up with a group of great riders and really started progressing. I love the North Shore stuff, ladders, skinnies, drops, etc. I started getting into dirt jumping a few years ago, then broke my back. I am just now getting back into it. I have built, and helped build a number of local trails, both DH/FR and XC oriented. I love great flow more than anything.

So, there is a little about me. I am not holding my breath for the riding I am use to, but I am hoping there is something. Anybody have some info? Looks like I will be moving to either Pasco or Kennewick.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
tri-cities is pretty much a joke as far as challenging riding goes. there are definitely some decent sized, steep hills, but they are all covered in sage brush and become very sandy by summer. there is a trail system called state patrol that is fun every once in awhile, but certainly nothing that will push your riding. it is on a hill with several ravines, each with a trail or two going down them.

there have been some decent dirtjumps in the past, but there aren't really any right now i don't think. there is a really nice concrete park, a so-so ramp park, and a pretty week concrete park. there's a bmx track just outside richland, too.

the most fun riding I had in tri-cities was just building some twisty, jumpy trails on a hill near my house and just going ridiculously fast down them (you can really push yourself when there are no trees or rocks to hit). there is also a shuttleable dh trail in benton city (a few miles away from richland) that wasn't finished when i was there, but was kinda fun.

living in seattle now, though, I have sworn never to live in tri-cities again. both the general scene and the trails are on a whole nother level on the west side.

haapf

Chimp
May 21, 2008
That doesn't sound too promising. I may have to check out that area in Benton. If I were to get out there and start building, how likely is it that the stunts/jumps will get torn down?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
That doesn't sound too promising. I may have to check out that area in Benton. If I were to get out there and start building, how likely is it that the stunts/jumps will get torn down?
Rule of thumb. The more redneck an area is, the less the authorities care about bikers and the more they care about shooting...and people setting things on fire...and shooting the things on fire...and drugs...and shooting while taking drugs.

I've ridden in some canyon out there with a bud who lives in the tri cities. at the time there were a few bridges, gaps, djs, etc. The cops were out and about but could care less about what we were doing and more about the television that was on fire.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Rule of thumb. The more redneck an area is, the less the authorities care about bikers and the more they care about shooting...and people setting things on fire...and shooting the things on fire...and drugs...and shooting while taking drugs.

I've ridden in some canyon out there with a bud who lives in the tri cities. at the time there were a few bridges, gaps, djs, etc. The cops were out and about but could care less about what we were doing and more about the television that was on fire.
this is very true. its extremely unlikely that anything would get torn down. the guy who built them actually asked a cop if there would be a problem and he said no. the only lame thing is that it would be a helluva lot easier to get there if the guy who owns the land below the trail would allow us to use his road. as it stands you have to drive several miles on gravel roads (some of which are fairly rutted out) to get to the shuttle road. the guy to talk to would be krustydude, but i don't think he's been on here for awhile. sometimes if you go to state patrol (the trails) there will be people out there on freeride bikes that you might talk to as well.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Ah, I miss Eastern WA :cupidarrow:

haapf

Chimp
May 21, 2008
thanks for the info. I am a little scared, but if I have to move out there, I will make due.

haapf

Chimp
May 21, 2008
Don't be scared, the weather is awesome. Just get a lifted 4x4 truck, cowboy hat, and some Wranglers. You'll fit right in.
I already have the 4x4, I can't stand cowboy hats (they should be outlawed), and Wranglers just don't cut it (they too, should be outlawed). I may have a problem. :poster_oops:

I guess this just means I get to work on the old urban riding. A couple of stair cases and ledges should keep me occupied for a little bit, now if only I can get some clay imported...

haapf

Chimp
May 21, 2008
Well, looks like I am officially heading out that way. The wife starts work in the beginning of July. Time for me to start looking for a job. Anybody needs a computer analyst?

Anyways, hope I can find some land to build some dj's on. I have a feeling the fr bike won't be seeing much action. It will be fun to put my trailking to use though. If anyone wants to show someone around on a bike, I will be out there in a month or so.