Quantcast

trials bike brakes

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
Hey guys, just wondering about the brakes on trials bikes. I see so many setups with a disk in front and U breaks or V breaks in the back. Why is that? I thought disk break were the best, why not all around?

_James_

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
oakland
magura hs33s are hte most popular....its easy to snag a disc on a rock or a ledge when doing side hops and the like...the front not so bad, but the back is where it happens most.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Hey guys, just wondering about the brakes on trials bikes. I see so many setups with a disk in front and U breaks or V breaks in the back. Why is that? I thought disk break were the best, why not all around?
Disc brakes offer stopping power and modulation. You don't want modulation in trials brakes - you want that brake to be ON or OFF.

The Maguras combined with machined rim surfaces offer incredible breaking power. The wheel is either moving, or locked - nothing in between.

welshy

Chimp
Jul 28, 2006
richmond,va
Not true...Id love to have a brake that modulates but the fact of the matter is that it has to be sacrificed to obtain maximum stopping power.
As for discs, up until recently trials frames havent been able to withstand the forces put on them, most snapping at the chainstay.
Plus as said they do tend to get bashed.
Denguras for the win!!!!!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
some discs (ie the code) will lock much better then even an hs-33 can but the problem is that stock wheels will still tend to flex about their axis from the torque put on the long spokes. that said my next rig will most likely be dual disc because they work better once they get wet and the pnw dishes out the wet. I guess I'll just have to learn how to sidehop properly

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Everytime I tried discs in the back the slight amount of pad movement would drive me crazy. I was always able to get my HS-33's to lock up as good as discs so I did not see the need to run discs.