Quantcast

Trials bike shop in central NJ, or Boston MA

1winder

Chimp
Aug 31, 2009
A friend and myself are both interested in obtaining, or further exploring the idea of Trials riding. I have had serious difficulty discerning the location of any shops in the central NJ area that may sell and preferably stock a variety of trials bikes. I imagine there are probably some further north because its flat here.

I have been doing research for the last week and am interested in a 20" Mod bike to start out on preferably new but will consider used. My friend on the other hand has just became after I introduced him to the sport via internet videos. He is heading to Boston MA for a week or so. I would assume there is a better chance of finding a well stocked and knowledgeable shop up there.

Can anyone assist me in locating a bike shop that sells 20" mods around the central NJ area or even possibly in Manhattan, I go there every 3 months, or even in the Boston MA area; listed in order of importance.

We are just looking to mess around locally and don't want to travel often. As far as I know there probably are not many trials riders in this area because of the relatively flat terrain. If I knew any I could rely on them for advice but I don't.

I am kind of opposed to buying a bike sight unseen off the internet despite the likely hood of it being the easiest way to obtain a trials specific bike. I am still in the process of gathering as much info as possibly so that I am able to make an informed decision and fear I would regret the purchase of a used bike for one reason or another.

Thanks

We live in Sayreville NJ which is close to East Brunswick where Rutgers University is located.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not aware of any shops that stock trials bikes or parts. The only one I ever knew of that did was a shop in Baltimore that has since gone out of business. The only reason they stocked trials stuff is b/c the new owner of Trialsin.com was living in the apartment above the shop.

Buying online is pretty much your only bet here in the states. Head over to observedtrials.net, that's pretty much the best trials specific forum around, and I'm sure you'd be able to find some other riders in the area.

FWIW I live in Morristown and work down in Somerville. I have a slightly trials bike if you're interested in checking one out to see what it feels like to ride.

1winder

Chimp
Aug 31, 2009
Hey Jon,

It would be great if we could swing by sometime and get a ride in. I don't know where or how often you ride but I'm free for most of the next week before my college classes resume September 8th.

looks like it would be good to keep an eye on crags list too, that Ozonys looks like something I would be interested in.

What do you ride by the way?

Kevin

1winder@optonline.net

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jim Vreeland at High Gear Cyclery has/had a full-on trials bike and use to be really into it. I think he mostly does XC racing on 29ers these days though...