Quantcast

Trials Chat

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Rode for hours last weekend and was able to pedal kick 3+ feet for the first few times. Also starting to get the feel for pedal ups. I'm traveling this week but it's probably a good thing as I ripped a hole in my thumb and need to stay off the bike anyway.

DGM have you contacted biketrialseller to see if he can get those parts for cheap? And is that you riding in the snow? Too cold for me man.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
that's cool about the pedal kicks, and getting comfy with pedal ups. Pedal ups seem very useful, but the setup for me is very different than how I used to just bunny hop onto/over objects.

That was me in the snow, I was just feeling cold as the pallet pile flipped from under me. Then I wasn't too worried about it anymore, other things on my mind, mini paingasm. I usually throw a big strap around the whole pile, but the snow/cold made me skip it. Not wise.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Got the bike out for the first time today since in the snow. I'll definitely be out again tomorrow.

Still working on my stock build, I was hoping to have the OTN classifieds to shop through though. I might have to scrape up some more money and put some more new parts on this bike than I planned to.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Did you check with biketrialseller bout them parts? Great prices if you need several items. Just have to wait for shipping from HK. I need to order some cranks and a new bb from him soon.

Finally back home after traveling. Lovely weather here and I'm going out riding in a little while.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Yeah, Hong Kong. I guess he sells mostly to the American Expansion Pack. It's not a problem as you can send whatever currency you want with PP. An 2008 Echo Control frame is like $200 shipped. Echo cranks and echo bb was $100 shipped.

I bent the **** out of my rear wheel yesterday. Need to bring it to the shop. Wheel truing is the only service I pay for. I never trued enough wheels to get good at it.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I just sent him a list of parts to get a price quote. Then just an order from Webcyclery, and maybe some LGM pads from trialspads.com and I should be ready to ride. The weather has been pretty frigid here, so I"ve just been staying inside and going to work. Speaking of work, I need to be there in about 20 minutes, gotta go.

Are there any other trials forums in the US besides this one? I checked out trialsin.com and it looks shut down.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
that would be cool, There needs to be something out there for us. This forum has been here a while, but we're apparently the only two people here. I guess everyone else is out riding their bikes or something.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I took my bike to the bike shop by my work and ended up spending 30 mins there geeking out with the shop guys. They sell and work on comfort bikes all day so my whip is exotic as hell. I also got moved to the front of the repair queue so I'll be done by noon today. LOL

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm a trials rider with no trials bike at the moment. Actually I have not had a trials bike since 2002 other than a Giant STP which blows for trials. My buddy still has a bike which I ride once or twice a year to make sure I still have my mad skills.

I would love to get a Sinister WTF if I start making some coin again.

Pedal ups are a good skill to master especially if you are going to compete since most comps do not give you enough room or smooth ground for a momentum up.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
That sinister is sweet. Too expensive for me though.

The timing on pedal ups is tough. Gonna take a while.

Getting off early today and going riding. Need to dial my rear brake in after the wheel truing, but it only takes a minute. The shop did a really good job for $5.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
gotta love the $5 fix. Next time take your mechanic a $5 six pack, and you'll get $15 worth of work.

I just put a longer hose on my rear brake, and a plazmatic stainless crossover line. Partly for bling, and hoping to reduce the spongy feel of the whole system for relatively cheap. I'm not sure if it's properly bled yet though. I basically bled it like an AVID Juicy disc brake. Fill bottom syringe, use suction to remove bubbles at the lower end, then force fluid up to the top syringe at the lever. then use some suction to make sure it was all fluid at that end. I ran this process a few times and the brake felt a little worse than before the new hose.

Every time I remove a syringe and go to replace it with the bolt/setscrew I loose a few drips, but it doesn't seem like enough to cause the level of spongy-ness I'm getting.

Any pointers?

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
more attempts to bleed with no success. I re-read the Magura directions and followed them to a T, this time the brake had zero resistance vs. a spongy feel. As though there were no fluid at all in the MC. So I cleaned the whole thing out and did a 50/50 water antifreeze mix. I was feeling confident that all air was evacuated, and reinstalled the brake. To my dismay a leak occurred around the bleed port screw at the slave end. Time to figure that out now.

In the meantime I put my old HS-11 on and went for a ride in the driveway. Only to hear a loud pop and have my right hand covered in fluid.

I'm seriously considering setting up some v's. I think I have a parallel push XT laying around somewhere, which might be a better option that all this nonsense.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
what a no-brainer

I just finished fixing the brake and taking it for a ride. All I did was remove the nearly brand new slave cylinder and replace it with a much older worn and beat slave from a busted hs-11. Bled in a water/coolant mix, cleaned it up and installed it, works perfectly! This is the braking performance I was looking for all along.

Part of the reason I went for a complete hs-33 instead of trying out an Echo sl or TR lever was to get some new slaves. But they turned out to be **** anyways.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I've already gone over budget for the stock I'm building, and don't even have all the necessary parts yet. Usually I wouldn't care for a bike build and just keep spending, but I'm trying to move in a few months, so this may have to wait.