Quantcast

Trials on BMX

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Just about everything, seriously. First off you'd have a hard time fitting a mod tire in the rear. You have to run a bmx crankset unless you have a newer frame with a euro BB and if thats the case why didn't you just buy a mod? With the right frame (one that accepts a mod tire) it could be done. If it is all the you can afford, go for it. Otherwise save up and buy a real trials frame, there is a huge difference.

Revolver

Chimp
Sep 16, 2003
Orlando, FL
What's a "mod" tire and how would that be better than a bmx tire? What's wrong with bmx crankset? Aren't they super strong?
The frame geometry of a BMX seems somewhat similar to a trials specific bike.....please, learn me some more:-)

Oct 28, 2003
Mod bikes have longer wheel bases,a gear ratio thats almost 1:1 (i think...), often have hydro brakes, often have no seat, have a really low standover, and are liteweight. the wide tires alow a lower psi which improves traction and controle. you can ride trials on a BMX, provided it has front and back breaks...

peace, Mike

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Originally posted by Revolver
What's a "mod" tire and how would that be better than a bmx tire? What's wrong with bmx crankset? Aren't they super strong?
The frame geometry of a BMX seems somewhat similar to a trials specific bike.....please, learn me some more:-)
Mod tire, as in a mod trials bike tire. They are a lot wider than a BMX tire so you can run lower psi and have a wider grip.

Yes bmx cranks are super strong and if you can get an azonic spider you could bolt a small chainring on it.

The biggest problem you will see is the lack of tire clearance. Everything else you could work around until you can afford a real trials bike.

JHusk

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
It would suck ass for trials.

Length of the bike is the main issue. There are many other small issues too.

You'd be MUCH MUCH better off learning trials on a mountain bike with decent brakes.