Quantcast

trials tires

ryan

Chimp
May 22, 2002
charlottetown pei
hey guys what would a good trial tires be for urban, somthin hard compound, i had Maxxis mobsters but they were gone in a few months, im thinkin 2.35 cujo's any other suggestions?

Apr 1, 2002
NY
yo string cheese, u know im startin too, i have a el gato on the rear and a conti duel compound xc tire on the front. id have to say i like um but im still doing flat land stuff. cya man, dave:cool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think that a mobster or kujo might be a bit heavy, unless you find yourself pinchflatting a lot. i've got an el gato which seems to be pretty good. other people like the tioga 2.3" DH, or the panaracer DH (and even some like the michies, but they are kinda heavy too).

for the front, i've got a geax sedona which is a high volume, low weight tire. pretty good, but flexy sidewalls.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've been using the 2.2 Michiellin 24.1.. Its got a really good tread pattern for trials and it hooks up great. I used to use the El Gato but the sidewalls weren't stiff enough when you went down in air pressure. You could also try the Maxxis Highrollers...but run them opposite to the way they are normally meant to roll.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
kujo's stand up to urban/street very well, at least my 2.65 does. Kinda sucks in loose dirt, but you're not asking about that...

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
Kujo's work well for dirt and will work ok on street but they are pretty heavy. I have heard good things about the El Gatos.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by Acadian
I don't know if it will be released, but Michelin has a 2.5 Hot S tire...very, very nice!! Our team got some at Sea Otter.

ISn't that the 24.1 Dh tire? or is it the xc tire just in a 2.5 size?...For a trials app though I don't think the side wall would be stiff enough in the rear if it is the xc tire.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
I run an IRC El Gato - pretty nice tire, decent pinch resistance, 2.25, very grippy on natural (though might not matter for you yet) and good weight at 850g. I am a weight weenie somewhat, and a good tire for a weight weenie who still wants a decent rear tire would be the Michelin Hot S 2.1 - freeride tire with good squish for a 2.1, some pinch resistance, and only weighs... 630g or something I think

But running DH tires is a good idea until smoothness is acheived of course!

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
The cool part about Kujo's and Maxxis DH tires is that you can still run regular light tubes for weight savings and less rolling mass and not flat because of the thick casing. I like em a lot.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by ryan
hey guys what would a good trial tires be for urban, somthin hard compound, i had Maxxis mobsters but they were gone in a few months, im thinkin 2.35 cujo's any other suggestions?
I practically ride nothing but street trials, and almost every local rider uses a Tioga 2.3 DH in the rear. I will never use another tire again. I've tried Highrollers, El Gatos, Kudjos.....no thank you. The Highroller 50 duro was excellent till it started to wear. A tad on the heavier side too being steel bead. Tiogas are hard to beat. Excellent pinch resistance too. I've only pinchflatted my rear with a Tioga once on a lousy 5 foot drop to edge.

For the front, I absolutely love my Huchinson Python Airlight. That is my tire combo and probably will remain that way unless I come across a better front tire, but I'm MORE than happy with the airlight. Has worn well too. Also, I've smashed the front wheel so many times that I've said to myself "well, there goes my tube", and had no pinchflat. Luck or a good tire?

Things to condiser:

Rims used-

Front: Planet X ReetArd (similar to a Sun 0-Degree)
Rear: Planet X BMF (same thing as an Alex DX32)

Been riding for a year and 1/2 now too. So level smoothness my be a factor also.

Zee tires: