Quantcast

Tricks on gettting saddle rails back in the plastic?

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I crashed and popped one of the rails out of the moulded plastic on my seat. I really really like this seat and there isnt anything wrong with it. So anybody got tricks for popping rails back in?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Get the saddle clamped in a bench vice.

Then, insert a large slot-head screwdriver into the plastic rail receiver. Use the flat plane of the screwdriver to to lever the saddle rail.

You'll have to put a lot of pressure on the saddle rail, but the rail and saddle will deform then snap back together.

JohnnyH

Chimp
Sep 1, 2011
If you don't have a bench vise handy you could also take a second seatpost (if you have one around), clamp one post tight to each rail, and use the two posts to lever the rail back into the saddle. I've managed to make it work a couple of times.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Don't try to pop a rail in. You'll just wallow the hole out that it seats in. pull the rails completely out of both holes and the nose. Then put the rail posts back into the rear.

Now take a large flat blade and insert into the nose slot on the front of the saddle (just barely so you don't booger the plastic).

Leverage the nose of the rails into the nose of the saddle. You have a wider piece of metal to get hold of. Way easier than the above.:thumb:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Don't try to pop a rail in. You'll just wallow the hole out that it seats in. pull the rails completely out of both holes and the nose. Then put the rail posts back into the rear.

Now take a large flat blade and insert into the nose slot on the front of the saddle (just barely so you don't booger the plastic).

Leverage the nose of the rails into the nose of the saddle. You have a wider piece of metal to get hold of. Way easier than the above.:thumb:

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.