Quantcast

Tricky tire choice question

Chimp
May 8, 2010
I've started riding my Tonic Fall Guy 24" "mtbmx" on some XC trails. Started solely for training for MX racing but it is getting to be pretty fun.

The bike has a K-rad urban style front tire and a old school BMX style rear tire right now.

I am trying to figure out what sort of tire combo would be best. Because of the style of bike, I am standing up 100% of the time, I imagine that takes a lot of weight off of the rear and puts it on the front. The trails I ride a handful of downill'ish sections I would guesstimate speeds get up to about 25-30mph. We do not ride when it is wet and at least 85% of the trails are hard pack single track. There are some short steep climbs and lots of roots.

Would love to hear ya'll thoughts on the best tire combos for my odd XC ride. Thanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
to be honest, i'm not sure how good of the selection of tires is going to be. You're running kind of an off tire/wheel size for this particular application.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Your selection is going to be very limited with 24" ( I assume that's both ends...?) I think you can get Kenda Small Block 8s in 24x2.1. That is a good hardpack xc tire. Maybe not the best for the front, but it will work way better than what you have.