Quantcast

Trico Iron case, do you remove your disk everytime?

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
We just ordered 2 Iron case and I wonder if I am going to have to remove my disks everytime I use it, I did it on my last trip but this time we are going to do a lot of packing/repacking.

kissthepink

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
Are you talking about Disc brake rotors?
I've travelled using my trico case and a bike with discs probably a dozen times, so probably 2 dozen "packed" trip "legs" for the bike. Airplane, Fedex, UPS; I've never had an issue. I let most of the air out of the tires, and overlap the wheels, letting the rotors rest against partially inflated tires and the foam padding on the other side. I face the cassette down towards the frame and place the rear tire so the cassette is postioned in the rear triangle, between the stays. No Issues.

Here's how I pack.
Pull the qr skewers and pedals, toss them under the 1st foam layer, Use my speedlink to take the chain apart and reconnect it, toss it under the foam as well. lay the frame down, If it's a tight fit lengthwise, I'll pull the rear Der. off and wrap it in a small towel and tuck it between the chainstays. Face the fork backwards (lower the travel of the fork before). Place the dropout spacers in the fork and rear dropouts. Wrap the bars with a towel, lay that bundle alongside the fork, then toss in anything else, hydration pack, shoes etc., another layer of foam, wheels, foam, then all the tools (pedal wrench, allens etc.) then the lid. Squeeze it shut, buckle and Go!

J

JRB

I think I would take them off just to be safe. Hate to have a ride messed up and there may not be some lame dude there to further screw them up for you. It's only 24 bolts for both bikes. Like 10 minutes max.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
kissthepink said:
Are you talking about Disc brake rotors?
I've travelled using my trico case and a bike with discs probably a dozen times, so probably 2 dozen "packed" trip "legs" for the bike. Airplane, Fedex, UPS; I've never had an issue. I let most of the air out of the tires, and overlap the wheels, letting the rotors rest against partially inflated tires and the foam padding on the other side. I face the cassette down towards the frame and place the rear tire so the cassette is postioned in the rear triangle, between the stays. No Issues.

Here's how I pack.
Pull the qr skewers and pedals, toss them under the 1st foam layer, Use my speedlink to take the chain apart and reconnect it, toss it under the foam as well. lay the frame down, If it's a tight fit lengthwise, I'll pull the rear Der. off and wrap it in a small towel and tuck it between the chainstays. Face the fork backwards (lower the travel of the fork before). Place the dropout spacers in the fork and rear dropouts. Wrap the bars with a towel, lay that bundle alongside the fork, then toss in anything else, hydration pack, shoes etc., another layer of foam, wheels, foam, then all the tools (pedal wrench, allens etc.) then the lid. Squeeze it shut, buckle and Go!
Thanks that is good info.

Reply to the others: I know it does not take long but keeping them on permits me to only bring a small torx key instead of a torx screwdriver. So I want to be safe but still as light as I can.

Thanks

kissthepink

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
Hey Deyv,
I agree w/you. Less complicated to leave 'em on. Personally I find that putting rotors on or off is one of the best ways to: 1. strip the head of the torx bolt; or 2. open up the back of your knuckles against the rotor when your hand slips.... :eviltongu
when I am working on my rotors, I use a ratchet with a Torx bit, just for that reason, and I don't like to carry stufff like that with me, I already have too much when I pack...

I travel with a group of riders at least once a year, we all use trico cases, (6 of us total) we all have discs, we never take 'em off, and none of us have ever bent one.- (during shipping...)

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Yep, two reasons

Just to be safe.

A while back my fork leaded oil into the foam.

So now they come off and go into a clean plastic bag and get sealed up. Pain yes, but then again who likes buying new brake pads?