Quantcast

trip plans, attn locals

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
A friend and I are graduating(Virginia Tech) in couple weeks, and would like to do a 'post-graduation' ride of the south. We have 6-7 days planned - May 18-24th.

1. NCSU + Chappel Hill
2. CP + Northwood(high point)
3. Dark Mtn
4. Pisgah(greenslick, daniels ridge,others)
4.5. I-9 pump track(if they let us:) )
5. Dupont(big rock, burnt mtn, others)
6. Windrock + Bigfoot - guide
7. back

We're looking to hook up with some locals, and ride with us. Specifcally, we would definately need someone to ride with for Dupont, Pisgah, Windrock, and maybe Dark Mtn(not sure how complex the trail system there).

I'm not sure who is available on weekdays, but the days are long. So if anyone can volunteer, and help us out, it would be much appreciated. Concerning Windrock, we do have a truck.

thanks in advance

-MV

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
mtnbiker66 said:
What day for Dupont? I live about 5 min from there and could help you out on an eve. ride.I can get you on Bigrock,Burnt and some other good stuff in a 2 hr ride.
you gonna bring the girlscout with ya?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
mtnbiker66 said:
If his fork ever gets back from Fox. They take forever!:mumble:
MikeT, how does Wed or thur sound. Let me know.
did you ever see this pic?

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
mtnbiker66 said:
If his fork ever gets back from Fox. They take forever!:mumble:
MikeT, how does Wed or thur sound. Let me know.
the 18th is thursday, and we'll be hitting up NCSU and Chappel Hill, and the 24th is a wed(but we were planning to head back that day)

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
just looking at the map and these locations we'd like to hit up, the ideal driving would be in order of the numbers. So ideally it would be:

1. NCSU + Chappel Hill..................................-thursday the 18th
2. CP + Northwood(high point)......................-friday the 19th
3. Dark Mtn..................................................-sat the 20th
4. Pisgah(greenslick, daniels ridge,others)......-sun the 21st
4.5. I-9 pump track(if they let us )................-mon the 22nd
5. Dupont(big rock, burnt mtn, others)..........-mon the 23rd
6. Windrock + Bigfoot ..................................-tues the 24th

but again it depends on whose available to ride with us on which days

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
profro said:
You will never get Windrock and Bigfoot in one day.

I'd try to get to WR on a Sunday.
hmm ok, so we should plan to hit up Windrock on sunday? we'll be able to ride with some locals?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
eliminate the pump track. thats silly. if ya want to jump jus thit up the dirt jumps 5 minutes east of asheville for a few hours instead of taking a whole day to ride around in a circle outside i-9. as for windrock go on a weekend when you can get the tour/lowdown.

ncsu/chapel hell can be skipped. there is some awesome street riding (i grew up riding street there 10 years ago) unless you have someone show you around you will miss everything that is good. if you do go there get a guide.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
biggins said:
eliminate the pump track. thats silly. if ya want to jump jus thit up the dirt jumps 5 minutes east of asheville for a few hours instead of taking a whole day to ride around in a circle outside i-9. as for windrock go on a weekend when you can get the tour/lowdown.

ncsu/chapel hell can be skipped. there is some awesome street riding (i grew up riding street there 10 years ago) unless you have someone show you around you will miss everything that is good. if you do go there get a guide.
well we weren't planning to do the pump-track thang the whole day - hence the 4.5#.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
MikeT said:
hmm ok, so we should plan to hit up Windrock on sunday? we'll be able to ride with some locals?
someone here will be more than happy to show you where all the different trailheads are.
and the rest will be up to you.

saturdays, sundays,both are cranking up around ten a.m.
hopefully we'll start getting it on around nine a.m. soon, to beat the heat.

wednesday afternoons also from about four p.m. till dark.

stay in touch by using the "fresh w.r.thread." or p.m.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
mtnbiker66 said:
I can do Mon the 23rd in the eve after work. Hope that helps ya make plans.Biggins.... I can't believe you posted that .:blah: Gosh,freakin idiot!
yea monday should work for Dupont

dhbuilder said:
someone here will be more than happy to show you where all the different trailheads are.
and the rest will be up to you.
Awsome, we'll do.

manimal said:
i should be able to show you around northwood
Much appreciated:)

some changes:

1. NCSU + Chappel Hill..................................-thursday the 18th........taken care of
2. CP + Northwood(high point)......................-friday the 19th - ..........manimal /TCP21
3. Dark Mtn............................................... ...-sat the 20th - .............TCP21
6. Windrock + Bigfoot ..................................-sun the 21st - ..............windrock crew
4.5. I-9 pump track(if they let us )................-mon the 22nd - ?
5. Dupont(big rock, burnt mtn, others)..........-mon the 22nd - ............mtnbiker66
4. Pisgah(greenslick, daniels ridge,others)......-tues the 23rd -?

still need someone to ride with for pisgah I guess, and any other riders who want to join us for any of those places :)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sounds like you guys will be completely worn out by the time you get back home.
dupont and pisgah should be interesting after riding the rock.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
MikeT said:
well we weren't planning to do the pump-track thang the whole day - hence the 4.5#.
the I'9 is not really a "pump track" like you see videos of. Someone really needs to post a video of it for you to understand it. I rode it two days last week after work. About an hour or two is all you can get in before you're done.

It is 4 rollers, then a step up double, step down double into a right hand #1 berm, followed by 3 rollers into a right hand #2 berm and then a l#3eft hander to #4 right hander to #5 left hander turn, 3 rollers and the #6 finish berm.

But it goes uphill from the end of berm #2 and you have to pedal all the way back up and to the rollers, so probably 55% of the track is pedaling, not pumping.

You can get in 2 laps, maybe 3 before you're cooked. Definitely not an all day ride yet

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
MikeT said:
just looking at the map and these locations we'd like to hit up, the ideal driving would be in order of the numbers. So ideally it would be:

1. NCSU + Chappel Hill..................................-thursday the 18th
2. CP + Northwood(high point)......................-friday the 19th
3. Dark Mtn..................................................-sat the 20th
4. Pisgah(greenslick, daniels ridge,others)......-sun the 21st
4.5. I-9 pump track(if they let us )................-mon the 22nd
5. Dupont(big rock, burnt mtn, others)..........-mon the 23rd
6. Windrock + Bigfoot ..................................-tues the 24th

but again it depends on whose available to ride with us on which days

go to dark mtn on sunday and i can meet you guys there. i can meet u guys at CP for a while on friday. wait is this in may or this month

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
After giving this some thought... I suggest going to only 2 maybe 3spots. Asheville, Windrock...

You can spend days riding Pisgah, Dupont, Swannanoa, I9, etc. Then a few more days riding at Windrock, Bigfoot, and all the singletrack around here.

It looks like a full day of fun could be had a CP, but I don't know anything about the other places you mentioned.

No disrepect to the Dark Mtn guys, but a whole day there might be a waste. I did the race there last year and I was full of it after a few short hours.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
After giving this some thought... I suggest going to only 2 maybe 3spots. Asheville, Windrock...

You can spend days riding Pisgah, Dupont, Swannanoa, I9, etc. Then a few more days riding at Windrock, Bigfoot, and all the singletrack around here.

It looks like a full day of fun could be had a CP, but I don't know anything about the other places you mentioned.

No disrepect to the Dark Mtn guys, but a whole day there might be a waste. I did the race there last year and I was full of it after a few short hours.
I have been told their regular XC trail system is on par with the fun factor of the mini-DH there.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bizutch said:
the I'9 is not really a "pump track" like you see videos of. Someone really needs to post a video of it for you to understand it. I rode it two days last week after work. About an hour or two is all you can get in before you're done.

It is 4 rollers, then a step up double, step down double into a right hand #1 berm, followed by 3 rollers into a right hand #2 berm and then a l#3eft hander to #4 right hander to #5 left hander turn, 3 rollers and the #6 finish berm.

But it goes uphill from the end of berm #2 and you have to pedal all the way back up and to the rollers, so probably 55% of the track is pedaling, not pumping.

You can get in 2 laps, maybe 3 before you're cooked. Definitely not an all day ride yet
oh word, my bad. didnt really know anything other than the pics i saw.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
bizutch said:

is there another 'pump track' in the area, that we might be able to hit up then?

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
profro said:

Hmm ok, so if we skip out on Dark Mtn for saturday, and go hit up 'Bigfoot, and all the singletrack around here.' someone would be able to show us around?

thanks again

-MV

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The trails at Bigfoot are pretty easy to find and navigate. Haw Ridge Park is less than 2 miles from Bigfoot and there are miles (30+) of trails there to explore.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
If you know how to pump the track at I-9 you dont have to pedal. There is room for pedaling but its not ness. There are also table tops to learn on if need be. Bizutch is right about the laps. 3 or 4 will wind you. Take a break and do 3 or 4 more and repeat!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
tomvan72 said:
If you know how to pump the track at I-9 you dont have to pedal. There is room for pedaling but its not ness. There are also table tops to learn on if need be. Bizutch is right about the laps. 3 or 4 will wind you. Take a break and do 3 or 4 more and repeat!
I'd pay 5 bucks to the guy who can pump that track 4 times without pedaling...

...because it would be NO fun.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
profro said:
The trails at Bigfoot are pretty easy to find and navigate. Haw Ridge Park is less than 2 miles from Bigfoot and there are miles (30+) of trails there to explore.
sounds pretty good.

revision #2

1. NCSU + Chappel Hill..................................-thursday the 18th........taken care of
2. CP + Northwood(high point)......................-friday the 19th - ..........manimal /TCP21
3. Bigfoot + Ridge Park...................................-sat the 20th - .............?
6. Windrock ..................................................-sun the 21st - ..............windrock crew
5. Dupont(big rock, burnt mtn, others)..........-mon the 22nd - ............mtnbiker66
4. Pisgah(greenslick, daniels ridge,others)......-tues the 23rd - ..............mtnbiker66

just need to find someone to ride on sat. I guess it's set for now, closer to the 18th we'll confirm the plans with everybody:)

Does anyone know of good camping spots around the above places?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Windrock is about 15 miles from Bigfoot/Haw Ridge. You can camp right in the parking lot at Windrock.

Depending on what you want to do, you can play around at Bigfoot on Saturday morning until after lunch time. Then grab some nearby lunch. If you want to ride some XC check out Haw Ridge. Otherwise I suggest heading out to Windrock Saturday afternoon and get in a few runs. Then hit it up all day Sunday. At both places you can find most all the trails yourself. However there are a few hidden gems at Windrock that we can show you on Sunday.

Another camping option is Frozen Head State Park. Its is just north of Oliver Springs (Windrock). Its also by one of the best singletrack trails around, Lone Mountain. It got wrecked several years ago by storms, but it used to be awesome. Keep in mind that the Windrock parking lot provides no services, but the Frozen Head is a state park with all the services and its real pretty there.

Check out this site...

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/index.html

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
ok thanks for the info everyone. Looks like it's a go - we'll be leaving thursday morning.

Schedule:

3. Bigfoot + Ridge Park...................................-sat the 20th - .............?
6. Windrock .................................................. -sun the 21st - ..............windrock crew
4. Pisgah(greenslick, daniels ridge,others)......-tues the 23rd - ..............mtnbiker66

If anyone else wants to hit up any of those places with us please let us know. I'll post my cell phone wed night/thurs morning

-MV