Quantcast

trip to CA, AZ, UT, where r the places to go?

bscharfetter

Chimp
Sep 23, 2010
JO hello !
I'm from austria, just finished school and decided to spend a bit time in the states.
I'll arrive next month in san francisco, wanna buy a cheap 2nd hand minivan(or so) and make a roadtrip till the end of january, ..so far the plan :thumb:

I found that one thread, where u guys list up all the lift and shuttle supported ridingspots (great idea by the way), but my question is if i can ride there as well in the wintermonths, or where r good places for dh, also where i have to push up, cause i won't have enough money for riding just with a liftticket the whole time.
and how is the weather in CA, UT, AZ, CO, NM in the wintermonth? do u get snow ? cause i will also sleep in the car.
yah I've a IH sunday by the way, and ride downhill :)

I hope u can help me a bit, .. cheers benni

All the lifts will be closed or nearing that time.
Shuttle service in Downieville ,Ca might be an option at soon as you arrive.
You can ride southern Utah , ie st.george and virgin.
South Mtn, Phoenix,AZ
Bootleg canyon outside Las vegas
Central and southern california
If you brought a burly trailbike instead you would have alot more options that time of year.

bscharfetter

Chimp
Sep 23, 2010
yoo thx for that fast reply.,. I don't have a trailbike , just a my downhiller and 4xer .. but thats fine cause i also feel fine with my horse, if i have to pedal :)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
yoo thx for that fast reply.,. I don't have a trailbike , just a my downhiller and 4xer .. but thats fine cause i also feel fine with my horse, if i have to pedal :)
If U are gonna be in SF there are downhill trails in Pacifica, Marin, and Santa Cruz. You can ride year around. No SNOW in any of those places. May get into the high 30's not too cold. If you go further south like Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo there are a decent number of places to ride.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
DO NOT GO TO PHOENIX. If you go to Arizona, go to Flagstaff. Go into Absolute Bikes. They will sort you out. Phoenix is a waste.

I should preface this by assuming you're getting here in October. You'll probably spend a lot of time in California in which case Flagstaff might be covered in snow. At that point, I'd say Phoenix is ok. We have some shuttles about an hour-30 North of Phoenix that are pretty good.

I'm sure I'll get crucified for this but the Arizona Board on MTBR has a good amount of downhillers (lots of hacks though) so make sure you check that out.

SCARY

Not long enough
DO NOT GO TO PHOENIX. If you go to Arizona, go to Flagstaff. Go into Absolute Bikes. They will sort you out. Phoenix is a waste.

I should preface this by assuming you're getting here in October. You'll probably spend a lot of time in California in which case Flagstaff might be covered in snow. At that point, I'd say Phoenix is ok. We have some shuttles about an hour-30 North of Phoenix that are pretty good.

I'm sure I'll get crucified for this but the Arizona Board on MTBR has a good amount of downhillers (lots of hacks though) so make sure you check that out.
This is what you get from a twenty year old,no nothing.
Alot of major bike companies do their product testing out here in the winter.It's very rough and tech and is/was home to several top dh racers^^^^this jackwad included.Come visit,and witness his crucifixion!Bring a small hammer and dull nails with you.

SCARY

Not long enough

This is what you get from a twenty year old,no nothing.
Alot of major bike companies do their product testing out here in the winter.It's very rough and tech and is/was home to several top dh racers^^^^this jackwad included.Come visit,and witness his crucifixion!Bring a small hammer and dull nails with you.