Quantcast

Triple Crown Fork question....

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Is there a minimum amount of fork tube you must have showing on top of upper clamp on a triple crown fork?

I am new to DH but have been riding Moto for a long time. I don't race anymore with moto but I like to jump ramps a lot. I set my fork tubes on my moto flush with the upper triple clamp for jumping.

I had my fork tube on my Demo 9 with about 1" showing. Tonight I put it flush and was going to test it out tomorrow. I am sure both moto and DH settings are similar. For moto more tube showing up top equal quicker turns. Less tube showing equals more stability at higher speeds..

Thanks for any help or suggestions....

Dave

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Is there a minimum amount of fork tube you must have showing on top of upper clamp on a triple crown fork?

I am new to DH but have been riding Moto for a long time. I don't race anymore with moto but I like to jump ramps a lot. I set my fork tubes on my moto flush with the upper triple clamp for jumping.

I had my fork tube on my Demo 9 with about 1" showing. Tonight I put it flush and was going to test it out tomorrow. I am sure both moto and DH settings are similar. For moto more tube showing up top equal quicker turns. Less tube showing equals more stability at higher speeds..

Thanks for any help or suggestions....

Dave
Basically, you have to have enough room below the bottom crown so that the fork has enough room to compress without bottoming out on the crown. For modern forks with 203mm of travel, this means having about 205mm of exposed stanchion tube.

The thing that really effects handling is where the fork sits relative to the bottom crown - you can use spacers to alter where the top crown sits, and some bikes have longer headtubes, so that isn't always a sure-fire method to determining fork length.

Most people run their forks low to get the front end and bottom bracket lower for cornering. That does steepen it up a bit though, so depending on the bike/course, you may want to run it up a bit. You can run the tubes all the way down in the crowns though with most setups if you want to.

If you dropped the stanchions 1" in the crowns, you will see ~1 degree slacker head angle, a taller front end, and a higher BB.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Thanks for the info guys........ I will do some testing to see what feels best..... I purchased a Northstar pass and this will be my first season on my Demo.. So I will have to ride Live Wire a few times with different setups to figure out what feels best.....

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey guys,

Resurrecting an old thread. I think I've found the answer to my question, but I just want to make sure.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my new-to-me 2008 Demo 8. I have a 40 RC2 on there, and I want to lower the fork crowns a bit, but the Fox manual says to not move the lower crown. Based on what I'm reading here, as long as the brace doesn't contact the lower crown I'm ok? I've basically got it so that 1" of stanchion is showing above the the top crown.

thanks

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Erm, yes, you can. In fact just about every single double crown fork is a triple clamp. Look at your upper crown. 2 stanchions, 1 steer tube with bolts for each...triple clamp.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
i've got my 40 crown set at 8.125" inches..
it almost looks like the lowers will nick the headtube.. no? I have a 1.5" headtube

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ok, thanks for the lesson in semantics, but can we get back to the original question? how far can you drop the bottom crown on my 40?! :D
It isn't the brace you normally have to worry about, it's the crown bottoming on the top of the lowers and dust wipers. As long as you have no contact anywhere, you should be fine.

Pull out spring, compress, verify.