Quantcast

Tripods for lighting

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have a Manfrotto for my camera, but I want 2x small lightweight tripods for my flashes. I have gone through 4 cheap tripods, which do the trick, but don't last very long.

Any decent tripods that can stand the test of time's abuse? It needs to be fairly compact to strap to my backpack, lightweight (my camera bag is already heavy enough) and can extend up to around the 6ft mark (ish). They don't have to be super sturdy, but I'm sick of the cheap ones breaking heads, levers and pivots.

Price is always a factor, but I know the old adage "Cheap. Lightweight. Strong - Pick two".

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you are gonna be shooting in the woods, consider a clamp for the flash.

i use some manfrotto small folding lightstands which were recommended by the Strobist site. they are about $60 a piece and small, decently sturdy.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
if you are gonna be shooting in the woods, consider a clamp for the flash.

i use some manfrotto small folding lightstands which were recommended by the Strobist site. they are about $60 a piece and small, decently sturdy.
I can't say that any better myself. I'll get a couple of shots of my homemade clamps. $3 a piece.

The bogen tripod from the strobist site is the best small, folding tripod that I have used for anything other than studio work.

They also fit perfectly on each side of that F-stop bag that you are sporting now, ask me how I know. :)