Quantcast

Trojans with iPods; looking for your back door

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nothing new

Its already well known Apple approves of illegal labor practices in their iPod factories, has poor environmental standards, and well documented history of product launch/quality control problems (issue above).

I scanned my 5.5 yesterday and it was not affected - if it was, it would be the first infected computer/device I personally owned - way to go for Apple quality control either way.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Nothing new

Its already well known Apple approves of illegal labor practices in their iPod factories, has poor environmental standards, and well documented history of product launch/quality control problems (issue above).

I scanned my 5.5 yesterday and it was not effected - if it was, it would be the first infected computer/device I personally owned - way to go for Apple quality control either way.
how did you scan it? Did you just plug it in and direct norton to the drive? I guess that is sort of obvious...Just got an 80 gb and i want to make sure my baby is clean.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can turn off the auto launch option in itunes and it mounts as a UMS drive the next time you mount it instead of auto launching Itunes and auto disconnecting after you close Itunes. As a UMS drive, you can use your antivirus software to scan your iPod drive like a portable HDD (it should have an assigned drive letter).

If you are infected, you must scan all other UMS (ie flash memory, USB drives, etc) you've mounted since you've connected your iPod according the Apple KB article.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
You can turn off the auto launch option in itunes and it mounts as a UMS drive the next time you mount it instead of launching itunes and auto disconnecting after you close itunes. As a UMS drive, you can use your antivirus software to scan your iPod drive like a portable HDD (it should have an assigned drive letter).

If you are infected, you must scan all other UMS (ie flash memory, USB drives, etc) you've mounted since you've connected your iPod according the Apple KB article.
yeah i guess that is what i mean, navigating to the ipod as a drive under my computer in windows...God i need to pony up and get a mac...:banghead:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That has to do with iTunes, its too "dumbed down" to find those options easily as they don't make it obvious where to find such option (like preferences), instead you have to open you iPod in itunes and uncheck the first option (checked by default). Close iTunes, disconnect your ipPd, and reconnect it and it should mount as a UMS (you don't need to check the option enable disc use).

With no options checked, your iPod will mount initially as a UMS drive with a drive letter without auto launching iTunes. You can still open iTunes and manage your iPod if its setup this way. After you close iTunes, your iPod will auto disconnect. If you connect your iPod for charging (or disc only access) without launch iTunes, you'll have to use XP's "Safely Remove Hardware" option in the taskbar to disconnect the iPod.

Here is that screen to set the option:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Way to go for a Windows machine being so vulnerable that it infected an entire production line!
1% of those produced at that short time period. They produced what, hundreds of million virus free without virus protection before then?

With that logic, I can see you as a kid playing ball in the street :bonk:

"I swear it's not my fault for breaking the window, it's the window company's fault for not making it strong enough!"

Also, are you going to blame Orange if you smash your head open riding their bike without a helmet, it must be faulty design if you get injured :bonk:

You must be the kind of person who sues the park system for breaking themselves on the trail due to their own actions, way to go :rant:

Apple's quality control record speaks for itself - its notoriously bad in first or second generation products. At least this is some what minor and only less than 1% of units according to Apple.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sure thing, sparky! You keep on raging against the Apple machine! We'll keep laughing at you.
Yeah illegal labor practices, polluting the environment, bad first generation product and botch product launches and the resulting numerous class action suits consumer have filed are all BS. Those are all minor problems.

Keep on going with your cognitive dissonance, but those are still significant problems any way you look at it...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah illegal labor practices, polluting the environment, bad first generation product and botch product launches and the resulting numerous class action suits consumer have filed are all BS. Those are all minor problems.

Keep on going with your cognitive dissonance, but those are still significant problems any way you look at it...
I wish I knew why the fvck you cared so much...Does it really even remotely matter to you?

:ban:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Macs are ghey, Windows machines are ghey, Linux machines are ultra ghey.

All of you STFU and type your love letters to Hitler on your ghey little boxes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I wish I knew why the fvck you cared so much...Does it really even remotely matter to you?
Yeah it does and it should matter to more people. I've walked or biked to work at my former and current full-time jobs - thats about 2 years I didn't drive my car and I was not given any incentive whatsoever to do so. I buy the cleaner option if there is a reasonable competitive choice available (not too expensive or relatively easy to obtain - compact fluorescent bulbs for all the sockets in my house, RoHS complaint electronics, 80 Plus PSUs, use energy saving modes (enable CPU throttling, sleep, etc), using the stairs at work instead of the elevator, etc). Whats wrong with be proactive and responsible? These things add up and do make a difference.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sh1t...and they call ME the hippy.
Its good for you, your wallet, and the environment. Even big business have figured this out too - like Dell - cleanest electronics company in Greenpeace's survey and do it producing over ten times as many PC as Apple. Various companies, cities, and countries have programs, its not really too hard to comprehend these days. Even extremist Christian groups get global warming today:bonk: How many years does it take until people realize you have to fruity like N8 to think otherwise?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How many years does it take until you realize you haven't be N8 to think otherwise?
:think:

WTF are you on about?

You take yourself WAY too seriously, AND you're preaching to the converted.

I use PSU's w/ active PFC, Cool n Quiet AMD procs, I even print w/ water based ink in my screen printed business to keep down on the petro chemicals.

You really need to re-think your approach if you want others to make the same changes, because your attitude is the kind of holier-than-thou sh!t that turns off most people.

Macs are great tools to the people that use them. Your not going to get people to stop, so why not try to work WITH people?

(geez - listen to me, I sound like a total idiot)

Nevermind - blow up your sh!t and go home.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This is an BIKING Internet forum, how many people center their lives around this or give a sh*t? This is entertainment to pass the time for most people. How many people do you know that have the same persona on and offline? Face to face is completely different ball game.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yeah it does and it should matter to more people. I've walked or biked to work at my former and current full-time jobs - thats about 2 years I didn't drive my car and I was not given any incentive whatsoever to do so. I buy the cleaner option if there is a reasonable competitive choice available (not too expensive or relatively easy to obtain - compact fluorescent bulbs for all the sockets in my house, RoHS complaint electronics, 80 Plus PSUs, use energy saving modes (enable CPU throttling, sleep, etc), using the stairs at work instead of the elevator, etc). Whats wrong with be proactive and responsible? These things add up and do make a difference.
Dibs on the gas you ain't using!!! I needs it for my suv!

Oh... BTW... fluorescent bulbs are bad for the enviroment... unless you have them crushed before disposal.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I buy the cleaner option if there is a reasonable competitive choice available (not too expensive or relatively easy to obtain - compact fluorescent bulbs for all the sockets in my house, RoHS complaint electronics, 80 Plus PSUs, use energy saving modes (enable CPU throttling, sleep, etc), using the stairs at work instead of the elevator, etc). Whats wrong with be proactive and responsible?
But didn't you say that you owned an iPod? So than the iPod must be the cleanest most enviromentaly freindly product, or you're a hypocrit.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Its good for you, your wallet, and the environment. Even big business have figured this out too - like Dell - cleanest electronics company in Greenpeace's survey and do it producing over ten times as many PC as Apple. Various companies, cities, and countries have programs, its not really too hard to comprehend these days. Even extremist Christian groups get global warming today:bonk: How many years does it take until people realize you have to fruity like N8 to think otherwise?
Do you do all of your shopping at Wild Oats in a backpacking pack, too?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But didn't you say that you owned an iPod? So than the iPod must be the cleanest most enviromentaly freindly product, or you're a hypocrit.
No that means there is a monopoly on the market and there were no current viable alternatives that meet my all my ideals. I owned other product that were superior in prior generations - ie Rio Karma. I liked the newer archos mini 20GB and it was discontinued.

Apple owns 70-80% of the overall mp3 player market and about 93-97% of the hard drive mp3 player. If that not a monopoly, what is?

Apple in PCs, well 15% in 1985, maybe 5% today. I didn't buy a Mac for my last computer, no monopoly.

People's ideals balance with reality. Change takes time. Burning fossil fuels is bad, but everyone has to live with present technology. People aren't hypocrites for doing it, there is no viable option in some situations. Sometimes your only option is to push for ideals on the road to change.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Dibs on the gas you ain't using!!! I needs it for my suv!

Oh... BTW... fluorescent bulbs are bad for the enviroment... unless you have them crushed before disposal.
You could buy low mercury fluorescent bulbs from Philips Alto back in the mid nineties (about the time my father switched over 100s of T12s to T8s at his business). Even companies switching from T12 to T8 bulbs with normal levels of mercury far offset that with the amount of pollution they prevent with the much lower power usage. T8 w/electronic ballast not only save power but last longer, make less heat, extend bulb life, smaller size(less packaging and materials), make less noise, don't flicker, and have better CRI (better color - seems more natural looking). In homes even bigger 1/4 the power on incadescents and last 4-16X longer.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You could buy low mercury fluorescent bulbs from Philips Alto back in the mid nineties (about the time my father switched over 100s of T12s to T8s at his business). Even companies switching from T12 to T8 bulbs with normal levels of mercury far offset that with the amount of pollution they prevent with the much lower power usage. T8 w/electronic ballast not only save power but last longer, make less heat, extend bulb life, smaller size(less packaging and materials), make less noise, don't flicker, and have better CRI (better color - seems more natural looking). In homes even bigger 1/4 the power on incadescents and last 4-16X longer.
Meh... T8's are soooo Y2K.

I'm spec'ing T5's these days mostly.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Meh... T8's are soooo Y2K.
Thats about the time I built the special fixture for my birds. I can't recall since its been over 7 years, but maybe once I replaced bulb(s)? They run 14 hours a dayx7x365. They are special Altos with 98 CRI.

T5 and T8 have similiar system efficacy and the advantages aren't quite enough to scrap your whole system to upgrade.

RPI has a good article on them they put out a few years ago.

RPI does some cutting edge research on light. It was either earlier this year or last year they broke some records with LEDs. We should see more and more auto and home applications of LED - those are even more of a breakthough for the environment.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
No that means there is a monopoly on the market and there were no current viable alternatives that meet my all my ideals. I owned other product that were superior in prior generations - ie Rio Karma. I liked the newer archos mini 20GB and it was discontinued.

Apple owns 70-80% of the overall mp3 player market and about 93-97% of the hard drive mp3 player. If that not a monopoly, what is?

Apple in PCs, well 15% in 1985, maybe 5% today. I didn't buy a Mac for my last computer, no monopoly.

People's ideals balance with reality. Change takes time. Burning fossil fuels is bad, but everyone has to live with present technology. People aren't hypocrites for doing it, there is no viable option in some situations. Sometimes your only option is to push for ideals on the road to change.
So you are only pro-enviroment/human rights as long as taking a stand doesn't inconveinance you? If Apple is such a horrid company, yet owns 70-80% of the mp3 player market, then there are still alternatives that make up that 20-30% Apple doesn't hold. So if you really do care about the earth and beleive your own anti Apple verbal diahrea, buy one of the alternatives, or STFU

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I scanned my 5.5 yesterday and it was not affected - if it was, it would be the first infected computer/device I personally owned - way to go for Apple quality control either way.
Um, isn't that that newest one? Like, a month or two ago new? For someone who hates Apples so much, it seems like you sure don't mind taking one from the tree... It doesn't prove you wrong, but it makes one wonder.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So you are only pro-enviroment/human rights as long as taking a stand doesn't inconveinance you? If Apple so such a horrid company, yet owns 70-80% of the mp3 player market, then there are still alternatives that make up that 20-30% Apple doesn't hold. So if you really do care about the earth and beleive your own anti Apple verbal diahrea, buy one of the alternatives, or STFU
Thats not the case. I needed a HDD player, last stats for HDD players I saw showed them at 92% of that market in 2004:

Cnet Oct 12 2004 said:
Research company The NPD Group said in a report released Tuesday that various versions of the iPod accounted for 92.1 percent of the market for hard drive-based music players, up from 82.2 percent a year ago. Players from Creative Technology and Digital Networks North America's Rio were a distant second and third, with 3.7 percent and 3.2 percent of the market, respectively.
Rio exited in summer of 2005 and Apple share isn't shrinking, plus there are less HDD players and even less high capacity units. There are very few high capacity portable music centric players (ie not a huge and IMHO useless PVP) over 30GB which I needed in the minimum for my music collection (X5 comes mind being the other in 60GB) and as of now the iPod is the only gapless which was one of the features I liked a lot in my Rio for some albums and the built in fade features it enables. Accessories and integration for other players is severely lacking when you have a player that less than 1% market uses. The iPod as it is still could be better, but its the only viable option right now. A monopoly cannot be any more clear cut than that.

Apple practices still need to be frowned upon, there is no excuse for them. Just everyone including environmentalists directly or indirectly use fossil fuels, that doesn't mean they can't speak out against using them.

A monopoly and established infrastructure leaves you no viable choices for overnight changes.

Many people hate oil and/or automakers, but they still drive gas, diesel, or hybrid cars. In a monopoly you don't have practical viable choice. That doesn't make them hypocrites.

On the other hand, blindly approving of Apple, no matter what they do would be incredibly stupid. Do you support Apple's illegal labor and environmental record? Do you think it is honestly a good thing.? If not, STFU, they are horrible practices that should be highlighted as publicly as possible so Apple will do as they claim and "think different" in their business practices. There is no excuse for being behind in these categories especially when you market yourself otherwise.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
On the other hand, blindly approving of Apple, no matter what they do would be incredibly stupid. Do you support Apple's illegal labor and environmental record? Do you think it is honestly a good thing.? If not, STFU, they are horrible practices that should be highlighted as publicly as possible so Apple will do as they claim and "think different" in their business practices. There is no excuse for being behind in these categories especially when you market yourself otherwise.
For being such an egalitarian hippy, you sure have an axe to grind against Apple.

I honestly could care less, because there are far more important things to worry about.

You're akin to the BF Animal Shelter in Kanab that spent a bunch of money to fly a few hundred animals out of Lebanon during the war instead of helping people there or animals in the US.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
syadasti, your horse is so goddamn high you need to be dropped on the saddle by helicopter.

You know what I do?

I say "Fvck you Apple". I don't own a mac, or an iPod, or any of their overpriced bullsh!t.

I don't even run Quicktime if I can help it, and that's free.

Make a sacrifice and dump the iPod or STFU. If you abhor their practices, DON'T BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS, PERIOD.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
For being such an egalitarian hippy, you sure have an axe to grind against Apple.

I honestly could care less, because there are far more important things to worry about.
I don't need to think of what you think of yourself. I'm not the one spewing cognitive dissonance. Not long ago before you got your iMac :busted:

blue said:
I agree with Syadasti...Apple's stuff doesn't suck, just their corporate policies and neo-liberal hipster propaganda. I just wish I could stab their marketing dept for making people believe Apple is counter-culture and "different".

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
hehehehe, i just watched a southpark chapter that suits this thread just perfect ....go to www.allsp.com check out the second episode of the ninth season entitled "die hippie, die" and the second episode of the tenth season entitled "alert"....cheers!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No that means there is a monopoly on the market and there were no current viable alternatives that meet my all my ideals.
So, what you're really saying here is that you want to tell everyone else that they should be (and that you are) - how did you put it? - "proactive and responsible" yet you are unwilling to make a small sacrifice in your frivolous tech toys to do the same.

Kinda sad, really, that you think you can lecture everyone on these ideals, rant and rave about Apple's poor environmental practices, and then turn around and buy their product simply because there was this-or-that petty feature you were unwilling to give up. One of two things is happening here. Either you have totally lost all perspective on how important a stupid MP3 player is in the scheme of things, or you are just a sad, sad man who needs to lecture others with a do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do mentality.

Either way, you need to stop it. Nobody can even post about Macs or iPods any more without you ruining the threads because you're completely out of control with your argumentative nature. If someone says one stinking thing that you disagree with, you will scream until you're blue in the face instead of having a few back-and-forth posts and forgetting about it like a normal person.