Quantcast

Tropical Storm Charley + an XC race

splat

Nam I am
Today I did the Hodges Dam XC race , Tropical Storm Charley also came through here today.

When I got today to go to the race it was raining BUCKETS!!! I almost didn't go, But heck I had Already Pre-regitered and paid , plus I pre-rode the course several times. so I went.

well the rain let up, and it was a Light rain when I got to the start.
When I got there I was informed that Charley had forced a Major course change , instead of 9 mile loops ( 1 in my case ) it would be 4.3 Mile loops ( now Have to do 2 ) . What happeend was the original course had a river crossing about 50 feet wide , 2 feet deep and a strong current , well today they said it was about 75 feet wide , and 4 feet deep and a raging current , and they felt this was not in the best interest of saftey.

SO , now my pre ride Knowledge goes right out the window . and there are lots of BIG mud puddles , slick roots and and slippery rocks. overall the course was alot of fun.

Just as we were lining up for the start the rain stopped.
any way I was racing begginer old farts , and I did my usual slow start. , but after about 3/4 of a mile I kicked it in and started catching and passing people I was about 3/4 of the way through my first lap, I had moved into 3rd postions and could see the guy in 2nd, when On a fast downhill, My rear tire got caught up on an off camber root and down I went hard! Knowing the conditions were slick I decided to wear Knee and Eldow pads. thank good ness I did, I came down full weight on my Elbow and slide down the hill. Got a wicked case of road rash from above my Knee pad right up to the back of my Butt check. I also knocked the wind out of my self . As I got my self up a couple of guys behind me passed me.

I got pedaling again, But I Just couldn't get my legs back . it took till about 1/2 way through my 2nd lap I started to feel strong again. I was able to catch and pass 2 ofthe people again , and finished 4th.

then I went to medical and let the paramedic clean me up a Bit, ---- ow that stung!!!

and anyone who was racing was covered in Mud !

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I always (the three times I've raced in it :D ) feel like such a putz racing in mud. Your bike is heavier, your balance is all off, and you go soooo slow!

Nice job Splat.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think i would have shattered alot of kneecaps and elbows had it not been for pads.

i think my affinity for mud has already been well established. :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Splat my man.... Here hoping that you get some good weather for atleast one race this year. Heads up brother......jdcamb

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Congrats dude!

I like it when it rains in fact i cant think of one race in the last 2 years that hasnt been affected by rain in some way. The bad part of the rain is when it stops though cuz things start to dry out and harden so it either needs not to rain or it needs to rain the whole way through.