Quantcast

Trouble setting up 5ghz extender

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Just upgraded my internet and my new wireless router/modem gives dual band 2.4g and 5g (also gives two wireless networks in those bands). All my devices like phones and computers connect to 5g no problem... Except my PS4, which only accepts 2.4g.

I picked up a repeater or extender that's dual band thinking I could connect to the 5g wireless network and hard wire the PS4 into it, making it think it's hard wired into a 5g Lan.
The problem is the repeater won't pick up my 5g network. By default it only picks up the 2.4g. What's shittier is when I scan for networks through the repeater's website, I can see other people's 5g networks. Not sure why it's not seeing mine.

Anyone see something like this before?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What repeater is it?

I had a couple Asus wireless products. I usually like Asus stuff, but these Wi-Fi cards wouldn't pick up 5 GHz channels that were higher than 40.

You could try changing the 5 GHz channel.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The other question is, do you really need 5 GHz? 2.4 GHz wireless N will support (IIRC) up to around 100 Mbps without any channel bonding or anything. Depending on your internet bandwidth and/or whatever else you're doing with your PS4, you may not actually need anything faster.

I mean, that's annoying and not what you paid for, but it might be an option.

You can also try disabling any "G" options on your access points if you have no "G" devices in your network.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Also 2.4 GHz range is about three times further than 5 GHz and penetrates obstructions more easily. The only real reason to use 5 GHz is if you're in populated/noisy area with tons of 2.4 GHz that might interfere with your AP.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The only real reason to use 5 GHz is if you're in populated/noisy area with tons of 2.4 GHz that might interfere with your AP.
Well that and the fact that 5 GHz is significantly faster, and channel bonding makes it even faster if the devices on both ends support it.

We are, after all, living in an age where some peoples' internet connections are faster than most Wi-Fi speeds.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well that and the fact that 5 GHz is significantly faster, and channel bonding makes it even faster if the devices on both ends support it.

We are, after all, living in an age where some peoples' internet connections are faster than most Wi-Fi speeds.
Right, there's various channel bonding schemes and most end-users won't see the benefit because their laptop/tablet/smartphone/etc isn't compatible and on wifi it only benefits download speeds, not upload speed (upload is also important for gaming since this is a PS4). It's just not worth the premium for mainstream use given how immature it is and most people aren't using the devices in the ideal environment (their router and device aren't in the same room, most MIMO schemes only benefit stationary devices, and/or they have problematic obstructions).

You might have SU-MIMO or MU-MIMO router or cellular AP, but sometimes even that doesn't matter on the device if you're lucky enough to have is an iPhone for example and your OEM doesn't even consistently use the same hardware:

http://cellularinsights.com/iphone7/

Which is why this is happening:

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/04/qualcomm-accuses-apple-of-intel-iphone-chip-gameplay/

Last edited: