Quantcast

Trouble with a loose 1.5" headset.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I'm running a 1.5" Pig FSA headset, 1.5" Totem, and a 1.5" Thomson 4x stem, and three 5mm interlocking spacers (one below the stem, two on top).

After nearly every run down the mountain there is a little play in the headset.

Yes, I crank down the top cap before tightening the stem bolts. Yes, there is a gap between the top cap and the stem (actually headset spacer that I'm running on top)....What I'm I missing?

I'm gonna pull the headset apart later, but everything was installed correctly.

An ovalized headtube doesn't seem possible yet, but I'll measure it with a pair of calipers.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Check your star nut. I had one come loose on a fork with a 1.5 steerer and it had the same symptoms.

Then check your bearings. If they are not spinning right they can transfer a whole lot of movement to the bolt holding everything in place.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
How should I go about checking the star nut? If it is indeed slipping it would only be a couple millimeters. Should I push it in a little bit more?

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Make SURE that the O.D. of the steerer and the I.D. of the expansion wedge/ring inside the upper cup is devoid of any grease. This is what made my double crown loosen up on my DH bike before.

Or maybe the star fangled nut IS slipping/the threaded insert portion of it is slowly pulling out of the star portion of it.