Quantcast

Trouble with installing new hardware w/win 98

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just got a used modem for my old laptop, however when I install it recognizes new hardware, but it doesn't have the drivers to download. So I went and retrieved the drivers on line and they seem to download properly, however it's still not recognizing the new modem.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What do you do after you download the drivers? Is there an install file, or do you just unzip them to a directory?

We can get you all set up, I'm sure, just let me know which you've got :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I install them, but then it still doesn't recognize the modem. It's weird. I've even tried to unzip earlier versions of the software and install/setup, but still nothing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
After you've installed the drivers, go to Control Panel, then double click on System, and click on the Device Manager tab. Locate your modem and delete it - there may be more than one device, delete them all.

Then reboot, see if that works. After it reboots, it'll try to find the drivers again and hopefully it'll recognize the installed ones.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I had a sound card that was really difficult to install in windows 98, it seems like what you had to do was let windows detect the device tell it you don't have a disk and let it search for its own drivers, then tell it you do have a disk and point it toward the location of the drivers. Or maybe you had to let windows install bogus drivers then go into the control panel and update the driver with the correct one. I can't remember how it went, it was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me switch to windows XP. FWIW I'll never buy another sound card with a Yamaha chipset.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Okay, got the modem installed however it still won't work. It says it can't install the PCI serial controler. The drivers aren't there:confused: I tried searching for them too.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Maybe you might have luck finding the driver, it's for a Toshiba satellite 335CDS. It's my OLD work computer that I leave at my place in Tahoe to have internet access.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yo brian, dig up some of that spare change between the seats of your denali that luc was talking about and buy an ibook :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Brian HCM#1 said:
Nah, I'm too cheap too. Plus all we have is dial up.
but you have no problem dropping $$,$$$$ on a boat.. :rolleyes:

heck...the money spend for gas during one weekend of boating is probably enough to buy you 5 new laptops... ;)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Acadian said:

heck...the money spend for gas during one weekend of boating is probably enough to buy you 5 new laptops... ;)
Dude, is your post count going backwards? If so, 4 more and you can bust your cherry all over again :D

Brian, keep an eye out on www.bensbargains.net. Last week Dell had a 45% off of any lappy over $999. I priced out a STUPID sick lappy that would have cost like $3k for like $17 or $1800.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:

Hey Mr., you too good to return my call from this week?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Rent out your place in Tahoe for two weeks as a vacation rental. BAM! You just covered the cost of a new laptop.

And out of curiosity what finally worked? (It's been ages since I futzed with Win 98)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
AnotherMike said:
Rent out your place in Tahoe for two weeks as a vacation rental. BAM! You just covered the cost of a new laptop.

And out of curiosity what finally worked? (It's been ages since I futzed with Win 98)
I do have it as rental property, so BAM with no renters in the "dead season" Sept-Nov, Dec & mid April-June. It"s costs about $3500-$4000 a month out of pocket..........BAM, my bank account is empty!!!!!

I went into the network portion and switch it to the new modem.