Quantcast

troubles with tubeless

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i know, i'm probably doing it wrong.

after getting lots of flats, even running 35-40 psi, i decided to bite the bullet and go tubeless. i'm running DT FR600s and Maxxis 2 ply DH tires. they seem to get on the bead fine, but they won't stop weeping sealant like an emo kid who just watched his fixed gear get stolen. when it sits for more than an hour, little poo brown puddles show up under my tires from it seeping around the bead. i pump them up to 35-40, go ride and they drop down to 20 right quick but don't drop any lower and don't burp air. and they grip like a mo fo at 20 psi

i used a stans kit with the rim strip and a lot of tape. couldn't get the ghetto tubeless method to work on these (gotten it to work before on other rims)

whats the solution, TL-ready/UST tires? UST rims? I'm not really happy with the DTs anyway, they dent too easily for my taste and i hate how hard it is to get a tire on them.

Aug 4, 2008
Don't know about DT rims (I use EX823), but I guess it should work the same.

To stop leaking sealant, you need to apply a bit more of a pressure when mounting the tires. I usually pump to 60psi (to let the beads slip into place), then spin and turn wheels around a bit so that sealant seals the little gaps still present.

But the stuff that won't seal at 40 PSI - usually does at 60 PSI. If possible you should let your tire inflated for a while, so the sealant dries.

Another smart option (which I don't need to do as it works well pretty much everytime) is to apply some sealant on to the bead the day before mounting and let it dry.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
you have to hear a loud, scary sound when the tires have seated properly while you are inflating them, this is the sign you have them properly seated in the rim

Aug 4, 2008
@banrider: Not necessary true, sometimes tires simple seat in right away. Don't overinflate the tire or it will explode. DH tires are not meant to be inflated to 160PSI.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If the new DTs hold tires as bad as the old 6.1s than the problem is your rims. It was a very bad idea to go tubeless on 6.1s and even with tubes they were rims that made it very easy to blow your tire off your rim, even going quite slow. It happened to me once on a jump lip and Ive seen it happen many times on friends bikes.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you using Stan's fluid or something else? A bunch of my buddies make their own goo and all their rigs weep fluid. I use Stan's only and that never happens w/ me.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
stans. don't know how high they inflated to, but i guess i'll go try the 60psi thing with the floor pump and see if that makes it stop. i only did it friday afternoon so i guess i'm still within the 1-2 week break in period haha

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW Suspect Device had a good tip with using tubular glue on one side of the tire. Search for it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
one thing, i did use the thinner rim strip (for AM type rims), should i try the fatter DH ones?
It could be a good bet. I had problems with caffee latex strips which are also made for am if I'm not wrong.

btw. How easy is it to put a tire on your rim? A good rim for setting tubeless should be VERY hard to put a tire on. A good rule of thumb is - if you can put it on your wheel with your fingers (without much stress) than it's not a good rim for tubeless.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
after troubleshooting a customer's trouble-ful tubeless, i found that the rim tape had gotten some stans underneath it, and was causing the tape to not seal properly. could be work checking. also, im under the impression that ghetto tubeless can actually provide a better seal due to the fact that there is a layer of rubber being compressed between the tire and the rim.

side note: the stans under the tape made the powdercoat flake off the rim, too.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i found out what i did wrong.

my rim strips had more holes in them than bonnie and clydes model a. cut thru the yellow tape in a couple places too. redid everything and was much gentler with the tire lever this time. i think that answers the question of if these tires are hard to mount. considering that i could get the same tires on and off my mavic 729s with my bare hands, these DT wheels are gnarly and hold a bead like no other.

i'm wondering if i even need the rim strip? the wheels came from Santa Cruz, and they glue on their rim strips which is really nice. i'm wondering if just the yellow tape and a UST valve stem are all i'd need?