Quantcast

Troy Lee D2 helmet help.. I'm confused

mtnbikfrut

Chimp
Nov 13, 2001
Santa Barbara
Hey all,

it's been some time since I've been on the board and racing DH. It seems that Troy Lee has come out with a plethora of new D2 helmets. back in my day, the d2 carbon was it and now there's the flash, bomber, etc.

can anyone break this down for me and give me the low down in plain english.

I'd love to get a d2, I always dreamed of one, but it costs major $$
Does anyone know if a good site to get one from for a good price?

do their helmet sizings run large ?

-garrett

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is a question i have as well...I saw some guys at snowshoe that had what looked to be the newish d2's on and those things were HUUUUUUUUUGE, which one is the super low profile minimalist one?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
what color were the D2s you saw at Snowshoe?

Troy Lee makes the D2 Composite and D2 Carbon. The carbon always has the trick flame paintjobs and costs around $425. The Composite model comes in MANY different paint schemes and models. For example, last year they offered the Hardtop (red or black solid),Flash (red or blue star), and some other one, Bomber maybe? There are always a few different model paintjobs with a couple color options for each model. Every helmet (composite or carbon) is the EXACT same mold,just different materials.

TLD also offers a DOT-approved moto helmet which you'll see Rennie sporting quite often on faster courses (Worlds).It's called the SE. It usually has a few different paintjobs and signature schemes. Wardy has his own,the camo lid,and there are a couple other moto legends with their own. There is only one 'model' of the SE, but quite a few paint choices.

Hope this helped!

manhattanprjkt83 - you coming to race this weekend?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
These guys with the big helmets had the new black/pink graphics...the graphics looked cool as sh1t, but the helmet is just huge. I usually rock a protec with goggles down there...but i am looking for a really lightweight helmet prob the carbon for next year, so the composite and carbon are really the same shape and size, it is the se that makes you look like a bobble head...

I dont know if i will be down this weekend, i havent raced all season (just rode a ton) I sold my dh bike last year when i was still in college and have just been borrowing my bros session freeride bike for the summer so that i can ride...so to make a long story short if I am there it will not be to race rather just ride...