Quantcast

Troy Lee D2 Peak Issue

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Just a small issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I recently took delivery of a new TLD D2. It's the first time I've owned one of these, so I was a bit surprised by how little adjustment you can make on the peak. There's enough adjustment in the middle slider to tip it back so it looks good, but it's held back by the bolts on the side so that I can't tip it further back than about 1/4 of the way and, well, you look like a muppet like that.

I'm wondering if this is some safety nonsense that the helmet has to conform to, but Troy Lee give you the adjustment to drill new side holes, as this is the only way the peak could tip back fully. Or, are there different sizes of peak and my M/L has been given a S/XS peak by accident?

I'm not overly chuffed about having to drill a brand new peak, and advice?

Cheers

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just take off the peak, better aerodynamics.

Seriously though, I've never had to drill any of mine to get it quite far up, but just drill or do whatever you need to do. It's just a D2.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the D2 is the most poorly built rubbish excuse for an FF helmet I have ever come across. I have owned a few (and still use one) but I don't think there should be any concern for reducing the safety of a helmet that is held together with a combination of hopes, dreams, and hot glue.

At least they look amazing, the D3 needs all the painted help it can get to even come close! :)

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
You don't think I bought a helmet based on safety or quality of construction do you? Damn right they look good. :-D

Looks like the spare peaks are sold one size fits all, so either its been drilled a bit off or they just dont want you to run it that high. But why give you so much adjustment in the slider then? Tbh it's not so bad, I'll wear it, get it muddy then I won't be that annoyed about drilling it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Style for miles!

Have you got a pic? I could use the full range of the slider in the last two I had, in fact I remember some people even extended the slider slot for extra style points. Sounds like it may be drilled a bit off, or perhaps the mounting points on the helmet are slightly different to the norm. Could also be some sort of running update.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Cant get a pic at the moment Im afraid. It's a weird one cos there's no obvious difference between mine and the ones Ive looked at on google images. Could be an update as you say. Does stiksandstones off here still work for Troy Lee? Be interesting to get his input.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just use a hot melt glue gun to glue it back in, it works fine - and if you use a little extra glue it'll last longer than stock, just be careful not to put glue where the soft liner needs to slide in. The hot glue doesn't damage the foam, but other adhesives may.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
On my D2 before, i remove the slider screw, and, glue a velcro strip under the slider and on the helmet side to tilt or tip back the lid farthest.

the lid is now held by a pair of zip ties, through the vent holes on top of the helmet and the holes on the lid. Lid slider broke off after a crash.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
It doesn't sound like it is impeading your vision, so just tape a sign on your jersey that reads, "I am cooler than I look". That should solve your issue.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Well I managed to get it nearly to the limit of adjustment with some flexing and tightening the screws down hard. Then I went and took a digger on my first day with it so the top looks like it's been attacked by a dremel. Sh!t happens.

Still, shouldn't really be having these issues but that's what you get choosing fashion over function.