Quantcast

Troy Lee Designs / Shock Doctor gear review (ride and crash tested)

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
A friend got the pads last year and kept getting rashes from the material they used. Wonder if anyone else had this problem, and if other material was sourced.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the feedback hncreature.

I have been running the pads every ride since I wrote the review. I have yet to notice any stretching yet. The knee pads really do stay put. I could not be happier with them.

I hadn't seen that full upper body one yet, but I did hear about it. It looks like the full elbow/forearm pads are built into the sleeves. It also looks like there is a little more padding on the shoulders and back/spine. It looks pretty cool.

atrokz, I can't say I have had any trouble like that. Your buddies skin might be allergic to the materials. That sounds pretty weak. Has he had trouble with other pads in the past?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
No, just the TLD ones. She got POCs now and has zero issues. Of note, they also had stiching come loose inside which would scratch and cause abbrasion. Maybe they are better now.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That 7855 full upper body suit looks interesting- the only low profile full upper body suit that's actually neck brace compatible that I've seen.

Heckler: any way you can get your hands on one and post up some pics?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
That 7855 full upper body suit looks interesting- the only low profile full upper body suit that's actually neck brace compatible that I've seen.

Heckler: any way you can get your hands on one and post up some pics?
I will check and see if I can (wont be until next week though).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I can say I'm in love with my TLD Combat Guards. They are not beautiful, but if you order them in the "Short" length, they fit fantastic, breathe, are really light and cover everything with a great pad.

I for one am glad he posted fit pics more than anything. Seeing real life photos of how stuff goes on and what the materials look like on the inside, the strap system, etc is useful.

So while TH may be posting what he rides and getting a bro deal on it, he's still contributing his time and effort to show RM users a better view and more detail than a product page offers.

And in fairness to him, a bro-deal ain't free and he isn't getting paid.

When I post my dw-DHR "review", I will be sure to preface it by saying "I didn't pay retail...but..."

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I can say I'm in love with my TLD Combat Guards. They are not beautiful, but if you order them in the "Short" length, they fit fantastic, breathe, are really light and cover everything with a great pad.

I for one am glad he posted fit pics more than anything. Seeing real life photos of how stuff goes on and what the materials look like on the inside, the strap system, etc is useful.

So while TH may be posting what he rides and getting a bro deal on it, he's still contributing his time and effort to show RM users a better view and more detail than a product page offers.

And in fairness to him, a bro-deal ain't free and he isn't getting paid.

When I post my dw-DHR "review", I will be sure to preface it by saying "I didn't pay retail...but..."
Thanks man. Nobody asked me to do these reviews, I am just sharing new products with you guys! I appreciate the acknowledgment.

Keep an eye out for a featured more in depth review on the chest protector on Vital in the next couple days. And more reviews of other new products in the future too.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I will check and see if I can (wont be until next week though).
Thanks. Your pics of the rest of the new TLD stuff have been very useful showing what the stuff really looks like, instead of the useless graphics that TLD has on their site.

hncreature

Chimp
Dec 10, 2010
San Diego
Thanks. Your pics of the rest of the new TLD stuff have been very useful showing what the stuff really looks like, instead of the useless graphics that TLD has on their site.
They're horrible aren't they? Like I mentioned the body armor looked leather! No thanks! No photos of the backs of the suits - Then they wonder why it isn't selling - The pic of the full body suit is from the latest TLD armor catalog...just a few pages and only protection...not even a helmet in it - The full suit is the best picture that TLD has posted and looks true to what it is

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
They're horrible aren't they? Like I mentioned the body armor looked leather! No thanks! No photos of the backs of the suits - Then they wonder why it isn't selling - The pic of the full body suit is from the latest TLD armor catalog...just a few pages and only protection...not even a helmet in it - The full suit is the best picture that TLD has posted and looks true to what it is
No joke, you'd think they would take some decent pics of stuff they're trying to sell.

hncreature

Chimp
Dec 10, 2010
San Diego
Ride update...

Took the knee / shins out for a mostly pedal ride and I'll tell you I got ZERO complaints - No rubbing...no pinching...they didn't feel hot...stayed in place...weren't restrictive - Really really like these pads!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Bump!

I have been riding with the knee pads on every ride since I posted the review. I totally agree with hncreature... same experience here.

Thanks for posted a ride update hncreature.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I tried on the TLD/Shock Doctor "shirt" (the same one Heckler has pics of on the first page), and it does seem like a good option- almost makes most pressure suits obsolete. My one gripe was that it seemed a little bulky, but maybe sizing down a size would fix that.
I'm about 5'11", 170-175 lbs, and the size medium wasn't as form fitting as I'd like. Of course, like mentioned before, every pad is removable, so removing which ever ones were annoying is a great option.
But, Heckler: when/if you get your hands on the full sleeve version, post up some pics.

hncreature

Chimp
Dec 10, 2010
San Diego
I tried on the TLD/Shock Doctor "shirt" (the same one Heckler has pics of on the first page), and it does seem like a good option- almost makes most pressure suits obsolete. My one gripe was that it seemed a little bulky, but maybe sizing down a size would fix that.
I'm about 5'11", 170-175 lbs, and the size medium wasn't as form fitting as I'd like. Of course, like mentioned before, every pad is removable, so removing which ever ones were annoying is a great option.
But, Heckler: when/if you get your hands on the full sleeve version, post up some pics.
I went with the higher version...the 7850...with additional abdomen padding...and will agree that it is bulkier than what TH's 5850 version looked like in the pictures - But after trying on many a body armor I don't mind so much because of the weight...LIGHT!...and breathability...COOL!

Thanks for posted a ride update hncreature.
:thumb:

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
and what about protection? how it can be compared with "standard" body armors??
I went with the higher version...the 7850...with additional abdomen padding...and will agree that it is bulkier than what TH's 5850 version looked like in the pictures - But after trying on many a body armor I don't mind so much because of the weight...LIGHT!...and breathability...COOL!

:thumb:

hncreature

Chimp
Dec 10, 2010
San Diego
and what about protection? how it can be compared with "standard" body armors??
With the 7850 you are padded from collar bone to abdomen and shoulder to lower back - You are literally padded around your whole torso unlike the 661s that offer mainly chest and back - The more important areas of protection like the chest...spine...and shoulder utilize a high density foam pad with a thin harder cap on top of it...see picture earlier in this thread...where as other areas are just the high density foam

UPDATE...I did mention this before but ALL pads in the 7850 are removable so the choice is yours on how much or how little you want to use - The 5850 doesn't come with the lower torso padding so you don't have a choice

...Also, does the 7850 breathe less because of the thicker pads?
The pads may be thicker but are holier and lets the air flow right through...literally - After a Hike-a-Bike I felt like I was wearing another layer...warm for sure...but on the way down...cool!

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Can't wait to get myself the shirt and elbows, not avail in the UK till March :(

Last edited:

cryion

Chimp
Jan 18, 2011
My one gripe was that it seemed a little bulky, but maybe sizing down a size would fix that.
i was going to ask about sizing on the undershirts, but i guess this should answer it.
im pretty much as tall as you but i only weigh around 140lbs. S should be my definite choice, right?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
i was going to ask about sizing on the undershirts, but i guess this should answer it.
im pretty much as tall as you but i only weigh around 140lbs. S should be my definite choice, right?
Based on the medium that I tried on in the store, yeah, you're probably best in a small.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
i have a 661 core saver but the shoulders have no protection at all.
That's why I went to the Prodigy this year. I wanted the real shoulder caps that a hard-shell has. The ones on every race suit I've seen/used are mere 'tree-brush' cups.

From the back (with the extra piece removed to fit the Leatt):
I like the extension they attached for the lower back.

That is the one thing that is lacking from the Prodigy that would make it the 100% package, IMO. Everything esle about it is great and fits around the Leatt perfectly without having to remove any pieces.

Last edited:

cryion

Chimp
Jan 18, 2011
btw is there already a name for the new chest protector? cant find it anywhere on the tld website. is it not up yet?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Anybody tried out the KG 5450?

Having that extra shin protection would seem like a nice addition.

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=807_881_901&products_id=2869

Are these line of pads similar to the 661 kyle straits? More protection? Less protection? How rigid are they in comparison?
Unfortunately I haven't seen those in person yet. Assuming they are similar to the knee pad only version, they would be pretty lightweight and comfortable. I also haven't used the kyle starights before, but I think the shin portion would be a bit more rigid while the knee part would be the light protection like the knee only pads.

Anybody tried out the KG 5450?

Having that extra shin protection would seem like a nice addition.

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=807_881_901&products_id=2869

Are these line of pads similar to the 661 kyle straits? More protection? Less protection? How rigid are they in comparison?
Been on the 5450 for two month now coming from kyle straits.

5450's are crazy comfortable, after a while you don't know you have them on. Pedaling, seated and standing is so nice. The KS's had those big elastic straps that would dig into the back of your knee's when you pedal, it was annoying.
The biggest thing for me was the Breathability of the 5450, super cool and dry. The KS were like wearing wool sponges and over time would gain a fair amount of weight which caused them to fall down a lot. The 5450's have no straps and they do slip a little(5hr practice day I have to adjust twice) but its a little sacrifice for the comfort.

They are more ridged then the KS's they just lack the flimsy foam side protection that never were needed by me but some how always ripped on both pair of KS's I owned.

I also have been on the TL T-bone guards for three months and they are Burly. They have some of the same discomforts I experienced while riding in the KS's but the things are made with way,way better materials but because of this they have the cooling issues associated with the KS's. On the up side they don't have that crappy mesh materials that soak up sweat and add weight which for me was a deciding factor on my KS's vs TL T-Bone guards. I was going to buy my 3rd set of KS's until I found these.

Once the T-bones are on they are on. No pulling them up when your off the bike. The hard shell covers more area then the KS's and seems thicker. They have side protection which is covered in a much more durable material. Check um out if you want a longer lasting knee guard.

Hope this helps.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I'd agree with pretty much everything mentioned above. I've had the 5450's for a few rides and there are an excellent pad for pedaling, for trialbike situations, maybe DH too, they certainly don't offer max protection of full coverage pads. If you do crash square on the knee cup the protection will probably be great- i haven't crashed in them yet. The plastic pad is on the narrow side, so no padding around the sides of the knee.

The extra length is perfect i think, it will cover any part of the shin that hits the ground in a crash.

No straps, i bought them on the small side and theyre' tight, but they stay in place, probably because of the light weight, and the rubber gripper stuff on th knee cap which has serious tenacity.

After T bones, KS, and Evo with d30 i'd say there's no comparison in the all day comfort department. Thyre on par or better in the straight on knee protection department too (i assume), the plastic is solid, there's some foam under it, and the kevlar should be durable.

Personal preferance here but i think they look really good on too, the d30's i have used for pedal pads the last 2 years feel and look like knee diapers in comparison.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah I have been using my knee pads for XC, All Mountain, and DH. Amazing pads and the Kevlar is VERY durable. When I stacked and broke my wrist, I also landed on rocks with my knee and they stayed in place and also looked just fine after the crash. No torn holes or anything.

Yeah I have been using my knee pads for XC, All Mountain, and DH. Amazing pads and the Kevlar is VERY durable. When I stacked and broke my wrist, I also landed on rocks with my knee and they stayed in place and also looked just fine after the crash. No torn holes or anything.
TL is definitely on to some thing with this Shock DR stuff. Im getting my elbow/forearms and Im having the team manager order me the protective shirt and short.

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
Hi, I have a sizing question that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I want to buy the BP 7850 torso protector and the BP 7605 shorts aswell as some EG 5550 elbow guards and KN 5450 knee guards. but I am just not sure what size to get.
I can't try a set on because no local shops can get them let alone have them in stock.

I am 165lbs and 6.2" tall with long skinny arms and legs and a short torso with a 40"chest.
I am not sure if I should buy Medium or Large? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ari

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
Bought:
Troy Lee Designs Shirt BP 7850-HW Upper Body Armor
I wear a 42R jacket, Large shirt and the pads are ROOOMY!
Next time a Medium. But comfy like an Under armour Tee shirt.
So light. You will forget they are on.
Removed Leatt placed removable pads.
The 7850 has all pads removable for custom pad placement. Very nice touch.
Left them all but the pads below the Leatt. More pads than I've ever had, but you know if you take them out that's where the rock will ping you.
Tested:
I haven't wrecked big in a long while. Then proceeded to crash and even cough up a monster rolling endo in said body protection. Stupid adjustable suspension...
Not even a bruise. Left shoulder is a little sore, but generally from the impact.
The pads are dope. Best I've ever used. Fits flawlessly under my Leatt and I wear the collar w/o any straps. Just stays put.
Also super cool when I rode last Thursday. And it was 95 out.
Air just pours through it. Other guys were taking off their 661's and I never even thought about it.
This Shock Doctor stuff is the new benchmark in body armor.
And I paid full retail... almost.

my TLD 5850 shirt review...

Rode with it for the first time this past weekend. I am 6'2",185lbs and opted for the MEDIUM size. It fits well in the neck and chest but alittle roomy at the shoulders and biceps. I would like to try the small but likely the shirt would be too short for my long torso. I took out the pads for Leatt use, and it fits great. I used straps, but will try strapless the next time. The 5850 is far more comfortable than my dianese suit, less restrictive and bulky. It doesn't look like you have any armor on at all. Protection is slightly less than the dainese due to the lack of any hard plastic, but still reassuring. I had a few high side offs during the ride, but nothing worse for wear, the shirt handle it with ease.

it's priced well, the thin mesh on the non-armored surfaces looks to be alittle fragile, but time will tell about how well the material and stitching hold up. Even if the armor only lasted for one season of hard riding, I'd probably buy it again. Whereas, i've had my dianese suit since 2004.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Rode with it for the first time this past weekend. I am 6'2",185lbs and opted for the MEDIUM size. It fits well in the neck and chest but alittle roomy at the shoulders and biceps
Woah. I'm usually a large or an xl guy at 6'4", 210, but it kinda sounds like a medium would work. Crazy..