Quantcast

Troy Lee Designs / Shock Doctor gear review (ride and crash tested)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So it seems the sizing on the shock doctor stuff runs VERY large. I normally wear a size s/m knee pad (lopes and others). In the shock doctor stuff I need an XS!

A buddy who would normally wear a medium top needs a small in the shock doctor stuff Just a heads up.

I'm 5'10", 156#, 39" chest. I bought the medium (TLD spec'ed at 36-38" chest) 7850 vest and it fits perfectly: not too tight, but definitely not loose.

I found that the sizing of the elbow/forearm (5550) and knee/shin (5450) runs big, however. I've always worn small or medium legs and medium arms in other brands; in the TLD's I'm running XS knee/shin (5450) and S elbow/forearm (5550). The fit is snug, but not constricting. I intentionally wanted the TLD's to be more "form-fitting", given their design. It was the right choice.

I rode in Moab last weekend wearing the 5550's and 5450's, 80+ degree temps, and only noticed I was wearing the pads - in a good way - when I went down on some nice unforgiving slickrock. Pads didn't move; skin and blunt-force protection was excellent. The fabric held up well, too; very little damage to the pads themselves.

I've tried a LOT of armor over the years. The TLD ShockDoc stuff is, by far, the best designed and implemented bits I've come across so far. Good stuff. :thumb:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
sorry this maybe a stupid question, but does the BP 7850-HW Shirt include a "real" spine protector? its really hard to tell from the pictures

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I am 6'5" and weigh 240 and purchased a XL. It should be here Friday. I hope it is not too big. I am usually an XL or XXL is other things.
Will let everyone know

May 15, 2011
Hi Heckler,

It is a good review about TLD protections. By far, the best I’ve ever seen. I’ve read all the questions and answers and I still have some doubts. Can you or someone help me out?
I ride motocross and the last time I rode, I had a little crash. I was wearing the FOX Raceframe chest protection that didn’t work very well. I hurt my shoulder and my ribs and the shell is all broken now. I wasn’t at high speed or landing from a big jump. Said that, I am now looking for more shoulder protection.

1- Think about the shoulder, what is the better, the BP 7850-HW Shirt or the CP 5955? One friend of mine told me to try the CP 5955 over (together) the BP 7850. Do you think it would work or be too much? Too much weight? Too much restrictive? Too much hot? And if I remove all the pads and leave just the shoulder and arm pads, do you think with this configuration the CP with the BP should still be too much?

2- Do you have some photo with someone wearing the BP 7850-HW Shirt? I would like to see how it fits. The picture with the BP 5850 is very nice; I couldn’t see any collar bone pads and it (BP 5850) has a low profile. But the BP 7850 is a little thicker, so, how it fits?

3- Cleaning. Is the BP design to be use directly over the skin? With the sweat, does it need to be washed after every ride? If yes, does it need to be hand washed or can I throw it with all my gears in the wash machine?

Att,

Rodrigo Celes.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi Heckler,

It is a good review about TLD protections. By far, the best I’ve ever seen. I’ve read all the questions and answers and I still have some doubts. Can you or someone help me out?
I ride motocross and the last time I rode, I had a little crash. I was wearing the FOX Raceframe chest protection that didn’t work very well. I hurt my shoulder and my ribs and the shell is all broken now. I wasn’t at high speed or landing from a big jump. Said that, I am now looking for more shoulder protection.

1- Think about the shoulder, what is the better, the BP 7850-HW Shirt or the CP 5955? One friend of mine told me to try the CP 5955 over (together) the BP 7850. Do you think it would work or be too much? Too much weight? Too much restrictive? Too much hot? And if I remove all the pads and leave just the shoulder and arm pads, do you think with this configuration the CP with the BP should still be too much?

2- Do you have some photo with someone wearing the BP 7850-HW Shirt? I would like to see how it fits. The picture with the BP 5850 is very nice; I couldn’t see any collar bone pads and it (BP 5850) has a low profile. But the BP 7850 is a little thicker, so, how it fits?

3- Cleaning. Is the BP design to be use directly over the skin? With the sweat, does it need to be washed after every ride? If yes, does it need to be hand washed or can I throw it with all my gears in the wash machine?

Att,

Rodrigo Celes.
Sorry to hear about the crash and glad you are ok. I have had 3 shoulder surgeries so I feel you on wanting good shoulder protection. I am very happy with the protection from this gear to say the least.

1 - It really depends what works best for you. Since you ride moto, it seems like the CP 5955 is probably your best bet (that way you can use it for both riding moto and DH). I think layering the two would probably feel bulky (unfortunately I do not have both anymore to try this). I think if you removed some of the removable pads from the BP 7850-HW and ran it under the chest protector, it could work, but I just don't know. Personally, I think it might be a little too restrictive for me.

2 - Here are the only photos I have of the BP 7850-HW shirt:

And yes, the BP 7850's pads are a bit thicker, but I do not have any hands on experience with that model so I cannot tell you for sure.

3 - Yes, the shirt is designed to be on your skin (first layer). I would say its really up to you how often you want to wash it and probably depends on how much you sweat in it. I wash mine every couple rides. Gentle machine wash with cold water, very little detergent, and air dry (do not machine dry).

Hope this helps! Be sure to check out my review of the CP 5900 on Vital:
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Tested-TLD-Shock-Doctor-Chest-Protector,30

Last edited:

jaydubmah

Chimp
May 16, 2011
Hi Heckler,

Thanks so much for the pics and info on the TLD stuff - super informative.

Like Rodrigo, I'm working with some shoulder stuff too.

My big question is for the CP-5900 as it seems to offer more protection than the BP-7850.

Would it be possible to wear the CP-5900 under the jersey and the Leatt outside the jersey? It's a real hassle to have to cut jerseys to make a slot for the Leatt to slide in and tuck under the upper plates of the spine protector. I do that with my Dainese and it's not much fun.

On your review in vitalmtb, you mentioned that the whole back plate can be taken off. Would this possibly work?

Any pictures, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Really liking the idea of wearing low-profile armor under the jersey and Leatt's on the outside. Clean, simple, and actually protected.

Cheers!

jeff

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi Heckler,

Thanks so much for the pics and info on the TLD stuff - super informative.

Like Rodrigo, I'm working with some shoulder stuff too.

My big question is for the CP-5900 as it seems to offer more protection than the BP-7850.

Would it be possible to wear the CP-5900 under the jersey and the Leatt outside the jersey? It's a real hassle to have to cut jerseys to make a slot for the Leatt to slide in and tuck under the upper plates of the spine protector. I do that with my Dainese and it's not much fun.

On your review in vitalmtb, you mentioned that the whole back plate can be taken off. Would this possibly work?

Any pictures, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Really liking the idea of wearing low-profile armor under the jersey and Leatt's on the outside. Clean, simple, and actually protected.

Cheers!

jeff
No problem man. I am glad to help.

Yes, the CP-5900 does offer more protection (hard plastic rather than foam padding).

Unfortunately I do not have the chest protector in my possession anymore so I am going to do my best to explain how you can run it under a jersey and still use a leatt brace above the jersey. You can remove the plastic piece that the leatt spine fits/slides into, that way you can have the chest protector on and your leatt will just rest normally over your jersey without needing to cut a hole in it.

Check out the video on this link. It shows it in the configuration at 35 seconds. You can see the plastic piece that the leatt spine usually fits in is removed.
http://www.troyleedesigns.com/product.php?cat=98&id=17427

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

jaydubmah

Chimp
May 16, 2011
Hi Heckler,

Thanks so much for the info and the video clip! Totally clear view of what's going on, and yup, a leatt can be worn over the jersey.

Take care!

jeff

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
Been running the 5850 a while now for MX and I am super satisfied. 6.2" 198lb and wear a large. Perfect fit. Can't even feel it's there. Removed Leatt and shoulder pads.
Only downside might be that the spine protection is a bit short so if you want protection all the way down you might want to try something else.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
6'5" and weight 240 and the XL 7855 Fits perfect.
As for the padding it will take the edge off when you crash but I think I still will be wearing my Flakjacket at rocky places for the better spine protection.
The pads remove so the Leatt fits great.

jimsandler

Chimp
Jun 22, 2011
Got a third degree shoulder separation 12 days while riding and won't be back for awhile but am starting to look into protection for when I get back. Right now I am leaning toward the TLD 7850 because I don't want sleeves and don't really want to look like a robot out there. Found a video online that shows the features better than any pictures I've been able to find yet here:

rborelli

Chimp
Mar 22, 2012
MA
Based on the medium that I tried on in the store, yeah, you're probably best in a small.
So is the size thing hight or chest size. I'm 5'7" 160 with a 39 1/2 chest. Should I be a small or will the chest be too tight? I don't have the opportunity to try any on.

Bob

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So is the size thing hight or chest size. I'm 5'7" 160 with a 39 1/2 chest. Should I be a small or will the chest be too tight? I don't have the opportunity to try any on.

Bob
I'm not sure on that. Your chest is about the same size as mine, and I remember wanting to size down. But, that was based on trying it on in store; I don't own one of those and haven't ridden with one. I'd recommend maybe ordering two sizes and returning the one that doesn't fit as well.

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
Have the 7850 and love it. One of the best ive had, BUT anyone got any tricks getting the damn thing off without ripping it? Takes me about 2 minutes of stuggling so i dont rip it. Some kind of zip down the front would be a big improvement.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I've tried swearing - that doesnt help either. Cant imagine how you would ever get a longsleeve suit off.

meepmeep

Chimp
May 23, 2011
Yeah that's my main complaint. My suit is ripped in several places because the webbing material is so fragile. I managed to tear the fabric from just taking the suit off.

jimsandler

Chimp
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, I've had mine for about 7 months and am always worried about tearing it when I take it off. But since I got it because of a shoulder separation injury and it took me two minutes to get it off in the beginning anyway just because of my condition, I've continued to be really careful while taking it off very slowly now, trying to slide out of it instead of just pulling it off. So far, so good, no tears.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I need an input on the BP7855:
Due to a newly bought Leatt brace I'm in for a new pressure suite. So my question:
I am 190cm (6,23 ft) and my weight is about 181 (81kg).
I have relatively long arms to my upperbody.
Question: Should I go M or L?

Ohh chest diameter is 96cm (37,8 inches). According to their size chart I should go the M route...

Last edited:

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Guys,

Someone mentioned on mtbr that wearing a compression t-shirt under the 7850 (or similar) makes it super easy to get off. I've not tried it, but I know like mentioned it's a huge PITA to get off wearing nothing under it.

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
Guys,

Someone mentioned on mtbr that wearing a compression t-shirt under the 7850 (or similar) makes it super easy to get off. I've not tried it, but I know like mentioned it's a huge PITA to get off wearing nothing under it.
I separated my shoulder so was dreading getting off my tld 7850.

I had always pulled it over my head with difficulty and couldn't see doing that with a sore/limited mobilty shoulder. What I found was that if you pull on the armpit opening and slide your elbow back up into it, you can easily get your arm out of the sleve. Then you slide the same arm down your torso inside the 7850 through the same armpit opening and simply lift the whole shirt over your head. It is easier than it sounds and much easier than pulling it over your head from the back like I was doing. My top is short sleve though so I do'nt think it'll be so easy on a long sleve unit.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
(Sorry about necro'ing this thread, but it made more sense to bump this one than to start a new thread on a similar topic.)

I've read some comments elsewhere about the coxis (tailbone) not being covered by the spine protection on the 7850 (and 7855, i.e. long sleeved model). Does this extend to the lower back above the coxis as well, or is it only the coxis that isn't covered?

I see three options depending on the answer to the above question:
  1. Cover the coxis with padded underwear (I need to pick up a pair anyhow).
  2. Buy a Thor Sector Belt (or similar model) to cover any gap in the lower back between the TLD and padded underwear.
  3. Wear a traditional full back protector that covers all the way down (including the coxis) on top of the TLD.
I'm rather sensitive in that part of the back from previous injuries which is why I've worn traditional hard-shell back protection that covers all the way down. At this point, I would like to go for a 7850/55 for the added protection elsewhere, however. I would ideally like to stay away from having to wear one of my old back protectors on top of the 7850/55. I stronly suspect that would feel too cumbersome for me, and my present separate back protectors don't play well with my neck brace anyhow.

Any feedback to this is much appreciated.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
The TLD armour discussed in this thread, is decent enough and very light.

It is however far from comprehensive protection and only really for the minor scuffs. I found the Leatt Airfit or Airfit vest vastly superior, while still not overly heavy.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Thanks. Any experience with how well the lower back was covered by the spine protection (compared with the rest of the back)?

Edit: And by thanks I ofc meant that I will definitely consider the Leatt, particularly as I see it has the same CE ratings as their hard shell body armor.

Edit2: In case anyone else is interested, I have just spoken with Leatt and they actually recommend a kidney/lower back protection belt with the AirFit to get comparable protection to their Adventure hard shell. I think I can deduce that the same is then going to be needed from the TLD armor.

Last edited: