Quantcast

Troy Lee Designs XC Lite / OAKLEY ECHO shorts - quick feedback needed

Brooce

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Hi,

What length are these shorts (to the knee or longer?)?
They are called to be "xc" ones, will they be good in 4cross too?
Are the users glad of them?

And what is the difference between these and XC Air shorts?

Thanks for any info ;)
I really count on your quick reply!

Has anyone had a contact with Oakley ECHO shorts?
Or any other Oakley's - to tell me if the sizing is OK (will 32 fit 32 at my waist?)

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have a pair.
they are long. below de knee, but not as long as the moto, not as short as the sprint.

they are comfortamble, and the chamois is so-so.
the fabric, while very elastic and well designed (never gets caught in the seat) feels cheap, and they look 1000% better in the catalog than in person.
the pockets with zippers are greats, and the vents are really good. but stuff tends to fall from the side pockets (the ones without zippers).

i´d buy another pair if they were $70, but at $130 i think they are way overpriced.
the fox sargeant is a "better" short (although the sargent is too loose in the crotch, compared to the xc lite).

Brooce

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for an answer ;)

So, you say that they are a bit below the knee - and that may be the problem for me, as I am used to quite short shorts...

Maybe you can compare them (as far as "lightweight", ventilation is concerned) to sprint shorts? I thought about them too, but am afraid that they may be too warm in hot days...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
well, generally, TLD shorts are not short at all.
i tend to use shorts at the hip, and then, the moto fits me like capri pants.

the xc lite are VERY LIGHT, and thin (compared to every other DH shorts), and cannot be compared to the sprint.

the sprint (i also have them) are very tough. the small elastic patches on the side legs of the sprint feels like the a bit thicker version of fabric on the entire xc lite.

i´d say the fabric in the XC lite is like the fabric of pearl izumi lycra.... you can think of the xc lites as an oversized non-form-fitting lycra.

the sprint is heavy, and how well they breath depends on how fast you go. definately not made for pedalling.

the zippered vents in the xc lite work awesome. thats one of their best points. they vent like no other short i´ve tried. the outer shell is very cool, temperature wise, but the inner shell feels too plastic, compared the fox chamois, or pearl izumi (which is in another league actually).

Brooce

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Okay, thanks ;)

I guess that sprint shorts are not for me as I'd like to pedal a lot in them.

well, generally, TLD shorts are not short at all.
Yeah, but I also see that Nema's or Fox'es are not better...

I have found yet another very interesting shorts - Oakley Echo. Have you (or anybody else?) had any contact with them?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Okay, thanks ;)

I guess that sprint shorts are not for me as I'd like to pedal a lot in them.

Yeah, but I also see that Nema's or Fox'es are not better...

I have found yet another very interesting shorts - Oakley Echo. Have you (or anybody else?) had any contact with them?
no experience with oakley.

for pedalling shorts, tld xc lite are hard to beat, as a combo, although the chamois isnt as good a other brands, which sucks considering the price.
fox sargeant, more practical/pockets/everyday look and use.
for dh, sprint, very tough, almost invincible to road rash, and very easy to wash.

have you considered the pearl izumi versa short?

Brooce

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
for pedalling shorts, tld xc lite are hard to beat, as a combo, although the chamois isnt as good a other brands, which sucks considering the price.
I see them in http://www.motocrossgiant.com/ for $40 - I quess it's VERY cheap and I am quite a nerd if I don't take them. However, I see few drawbacks of these: a bit too long and are available only in black (it may sound stupid, but for me black clothes are a grind during sunny days - I even prefer something bit heavier, but in a bright colour)

These Oakleys look great (colour, length, one pocket only - simplicity), but cost $70 and I cannot find any review of them. I'll wait a day, maybe one will write sth.

have you considered the pearl izumi versa short?
I actually haven't ever heard about that brand, thanks ;) They look OK, but can't find any discount on them so they are a bit pricey (and in dark colours...).

Brooce

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Alright guys - thanks for advices. I've eventually decided on Oakley Echo shorts ;)

check out oakleyvault.com for discounted Oakley stuff
Nice site, although there are no shorts that I'm interested with (by now) ;)

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Alright guys - thanks for advices. I've eventually decided on Oakley Echo shorts ;)

Nice site, although there are no shorts that I'm interested with (by now) ;)
it's pretty weak now but keep checking back, they put up new stuff fairly frequently. sometimes pricepoint.com has deals too