Quantcast

Troy Lee Lopes Knee Guards

HEM3

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Hello guys,

I'm sick and tired of getting my Race Face knee guards sliding down when I hit the ground. I'm gonna buy another one. I was thinking about this new Troy Lee one but I'm a little afraid of the velcros. Has anybody anybody tried it? Can you tell me if these velcros really stay attached?

Thanks in advance!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'd be tempted to buy Padlocks if they didn't have that gigantic logo on them. I just won a set of Troy Lee Combat knee guards just in time since my old ones are toast.

But I was going to buy the Lopes model just b/c I like white or dainese ceramic grey for pad colors. Not much on charcoal or black as armor color. But having looked at them closer, I'm curious to see how the back of the neoprene segment might rub the crease of the knee?

Neoprene isn't the softest or thinnest material...but...

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
I'd be tempted to buy Padlocks if they didn't have that gigantic logo on them. I just won a set of Troy Lee Combat knee guards just in time since my old ones are toast.

But I was going to buy the Lopes model just b/c I like white or dainese ceramic grey for pad colors. Not much on charcoal or black as armor color. But having looked at them closer, I'm curious to see how the back of the neoprene segment might rub the crease of the knee?

Neoprene isn't the softest or thinnest material...but...
You could always turn them insideout, I think.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how much do they heat up your leg? they must be called leg warmers for a reason..? i have some older 661s that totally suck because they slide down if you think about crashing, but it would be neat if they could be re-used with these. Do they heat up your knee considerably?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
how much do they heat up your leg? they must be called leg warmers for a reason..? i have some older 661s that totally suck because they slide down if you think about crashing, but it would be neat if they could be re-used with these. Do they heat up your knee considerably?
They don't heat up so's you'd notice. I wore them for a full 8-hour endurance downhill race and never really knew they were there.

They're the only thing that kept my RaceLites in place. I've since gone to the Race guards, which stay up by themselves without the help. The Padlocks did what they were supposed to do

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
They don't heat up so's you'd notice. I wore them for a full 8-hour endurance downhill race and never really knew they were there.
8 hour endurance DH race.....where was that, how did it run..?
is that really an RST fork.......?.....

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
8 hour endurance DH race.....where was that, how did it run..?
is that really an RST fork.......?.....
Two summers ago at Silver Mountain, Idaho. One event in the weekend-long SilveRoxx MTB Festival.

It was as many runs of their about-15-minute-long race course as you could complete in 8 hours. LeMans start, ride to the bottom of the mountain, hop on the gondola for the 20-minute ride back to the top and bomb down again. 5-6 runs is considered a good day's riding at Silver. Four of us on the podium got in 11 laps; guy who won squeezed in 12 :eek: My legs were toast at the end.

Yes, that's an RST fork - - prototype predecessor to the current R1; R1 will go on my new Gran Mal when I get it put together.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, I already did a thread on these, but never followed up on them.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176653&highlight=tld
First off, Not terrible. BUT, my complaints are as follows: ANYTHING that makes you take your shoes off to put on while standing in a muddy parking lot in the rain to put on is NOT WORTH ANY MONEY! That got old after about the 3rd time. Second, I have this funny little clear spot on my legs and then cuts and bruises all around this little spot. The shin pad itself, like the other TLD pads, is too small. Leaves that nice, very tender spot right above your shoe and below your pad exposed. And the final breath for these things for me was I SOMEHOW got a pretty decent injury right through the pad. It's a mix of a bruise, a cut, a scrape, and a punture all in one. Possibly a shrp rock or a stick got in the vent hole, then just moved the pad where ever it wanted, damaging my leg.
I say they werren't terrible as I may have just had a string of bad luck, but even so, i'd rather be over protected when bad luck hits. Going back to Roach FR pads.

And you said that your pads are sliding down? My guess is you have too large of a size on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
too large? Unless it's side to side slip, i'd say it's too small. I got roach/RF gaurds because my 661s slipped so much. The new pads are so big that it's physically impossible for them to slip down without taking off my shoe/foot. They are comfortable but huge...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
After they're broken in, RF/Roach pads do have enough slack to kinda fold up a little between the knee cup and the shin pad. Just kinda pushes the knee cup down. Also, the top straps on those damn things are soooo freaking long, it's hard to get them tight at the thigh.

Also, he's talking about when he hits the ground, not just pedaling around and they fall down. I don't know of too many pads that will stay in place after a crash. They did their job, readjust and get back on the pedals! I know I've had to readjust the TLD pads more than my old RF pads.

Oct 24, 2006
I just bought the Lopes, I haven't ridden in them yet, but they seem like the velcro will stay on without any problem.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
You could always turn them insideout, I think.
The padlocks I used yesterday would not have done well inside out. They're kind of fuzzy-ish inside, and they've got a bit of material at either end to help grip your leg/pad.

HEM3

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
After they're broken in, RF/Roach pads do have enough slack to kinda fold up a little between the knee cup and the shin pad. Just kinda pushes the knee cup down. Also, the top straps on those damn things are soooo freaking long, it's hard to get them tight at the thigh.

Also, he's talking about when he hits the ground, not just pedaling around and they fall down. I don't know of too many pads that will stay in place after a crash. They did their job, readjust and get back on the pedals! I know I've had to readjust the TLD pads more than my old RF pads.
Yeah! That's it.
I used to run a skate style knee protection and they used to be great. They never slide down. Not even when I hit the ground. I still have them and I got using them again since I'm tired of the Race Face. I crash, they absorb the impact and then slide down and my knees are exposed to hurt. The top straps are really long. I'm 187cm tall and I got a L size.
I'll keep using my old skate style protection till I find something really reliable.

Thanks again guys! If anything to add, please post it!

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I think everybody's knees are a little different, so there is no one-perfect-pad. But, I think most of us have experienced pad slip at the worst moments.

I've used padlockers/knee warmers and had good success minimizing slippage, however they do tear easily and wear out after a few crashes.

What I've found to work best, is to wear bmx race pants trimmed to 3/4 length, or just below the lower part of the kneepad with leg bent. This is becoming more common on the race seen and teams are even incorporating 3/4 length pants into their kits. The material that bmx pants use for the knee area is usually double thick and durable. Also bmx stuff is is just as nice as DH stuff and significantly cheaper. I vote for Fly Racing 303 pants.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I think everybody's knees are a little different, so there is no one-perfect-pad. But, I think most of us have experienced pad slip at the worst moments.

I've used padlockers/knee warmers and had good success minimizing slippage, however they do tear easily and wear out after a few crashes.

What I've found to work best, is to wear bmx race pants trimmed to 3/4 length, or just below the lower part of the kneepad with leg bent. This is becoming more common on the race seen and teams are even incorporating 3/4 length pants into their kits. The material that bmx pants use for the knee area is usually double thick and durable. Also bmx stuff is is just as nice as DH stuff and significantly cheaper. I vote for Fly Racing 303 pants.
You mean motocross pants?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
You mean motocross pants?
Well, they're similar (Bicycle-Moto-Cross), but without the inner-thigh/inner-knee leather to stop tank rub. It's true that they are often used interchangeably these days. They are more like full length DH shorts. Same materials and construction as a nice pair of DH shorts, just longer.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Well, they're similar (Bicycle-Moto-Cross), but without the inner-thigh/inner-knee leather to stop tank rub. It's true that they are often used interchangeably these days. They are more like full length DH shorts. Same materials and construction as a nice pair of DH shorts, just longer.
What I mean is they ARE motocross pants. Look on Fly's website for the 303 and see if you find the word BMX. BMXers use motocross pants. Always have. :D I don't use motocross gear though..I rum "moto" gear...:imstupid:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
What I mean is they ARE motocross pants. Look on Fly's website for the 303 and see if you find the word BMX. BMXers use motocross pants. Always have. :D I don't use motocross gear though..I rum "moto" gear...:imstupid:
Yep, they sure are motocross pants. Thanks to Palmer it's what we use for DH too.

...you really do rum moto gear?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just wanted to update, I got a set of these pads in today to try and and went for a quick ride right away. Not a single slip, comfortable, good looking. Yeah! I am going to wait for them to stretch some to see if they start to slip, but so far so good. We shall see if i get weird bruises from them though. Also, these are the slightly updated ones, they made a runnign change. Slightly larger wings on the sides of the knees etc.

As for needing to take off your shoes, pads that don't slip are worth the effort. Period.

HEM3

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Thank you Transcend. I'm still using my old skate style ones. Keep us updated (this is for anyone) or send me a PM please.
PS.: Maybe you could crash for purpose :D

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Just wanted to update, I got a set of these pads in today to try and and went for a quick ride right away. Not a single slip, comfortable, good looking. Yeah! I am going to wait for them to stretch some to see if they start to slip, but so far so good. We shall see if i get weird bruises from them though. Also, these are the slightly updated ones, they made a runnign change. Slightly larger wings on the sides of the knees etc.

As for needing to take off your shoes, pads that don't slip are worth the effort. Period.
looking forward to the review

im in need of new knee/shin pads, and dont think i will be comforable with knee only pads ie tbones or such. I like my shins

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

I just bought a set a few weeks ago, and they seem to work well so far.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Mine slipped down a bit while doing northstar, but like lopes told me when I gave him grief "Well whatdya expect? we do not make kids sizes" (Eluding to my incredibly small/skinny leg).
BUT....was the first knee guard I have ever worn that did fit well and stayed up more than ever.