Quantcast

Troy Lee SE-2 Helmet - Moto helmets in general for DH

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I just found a RIDICULOUSLY good deal on a Troy Lee Designs SE-2 helmet, and I couldn't pass it up. I've always worn a mtb specific helmet, so this is a change for me. I also generally wear a Leatt brace, but I haven't tried the new helmet and the brace together yet.

I know quite a few of you guys wear moto helmets for riding downhill, and I know that they are obviously safer; do you guys generally like your moto helmets? Any other input? (I haven't worn the SE-2 yet, so I can still return it).

Thanks guys,
Tryon

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I would much rather smash my head into the ground wearing a moto helmet than my D2...but i'm trying to grow out of my "smashing head into ground" stage this year.

I say go for it if you've got a good deal and you ride rowdy terrain. You won't know the difference once you get used to the extra weight and bulk. You'll thank yourself later if you take a real digger.

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
That's my thinking exactly. Once I'm used to it, it won't make a bit of difference, (plus it's a pretty comfortable helmet). And, although I really try to keep my head out of the dirt, it does happen from time to time! Now that I'm being forced to become an adult, it would be nice to have my head function, even after a nasty spill.

Thanks for the input.

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Good stuff!

I guess shops are getting rid of their SE-2 inventory to stock the new SE-3. Works for me! I didn't ever think I'd have a frickin' $500 helmet!!

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
The chin Mouth Guard area on the SE2 is so weak that it only lasted one crash on my moto bike. I was not impressed especially after dropping all that coin. It wasnt even that bad of a crash. There are alot better moto helmets out there if thats what you want.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I wear a 661 moto helmet and love it, the biggest problem for me was getting used to the weight difference, but after you do its great, also helps to build up neck and shoulder strength as well, a almost more balanced feel

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Awesome, thanks guys.

I wore the SE-2 this morning on a 4wheeler ride, and aside from it being a little heavier, it was great. It's a really comfortable helmet.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
The chin Mouth Guard area on the SE2 is so weak that it only lasted one crash on my moto bike. I was not impressed especially after dropping all that coin. It wasnt even that bad of a crash. There are alot better moto helmets out there if thats what you want.
That sucks, but that's the price you pay for a light helmet. Anyway, they're designed to deform under the impact of a crash rather than transmit all the energy into your face.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
mine deformed so much I broke 4 teeth. Good luck with the helmet hope it works better for you than it did for me