Quantcast

Truck bed extender and bikes

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Useless thread, but it's on my mind. Anybody see, use or make a setup to allow you to tailgate haul DH bikes on a bed extender:

It's the only thing I've not seen someone come up with a work around for. Seems you could make a rail that comes up out of the outside bars to hang bikes across so you could still haul gear and riders in the back of short bed pickups. Thoughts or pics?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Bed extenders are the most pointless things. I had one in my truck for a while (only because it was free) and all I did was move it out of the way of everything. The bikes wouldn't fit with it flipped in the bed. I took it out and it sat in my garage for six months before I got tired of tripping over it and sold it. I would never buy one.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
A collapsing extender (like the Insta-Gate model for the 1st-Gen Tundras or the new F150 OEM extender) is awesome. I used mine all the time when I had that truck and it never really got in the way. The 1 piece units suck.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I have a Frontier and tried it once with 3 DH bikes. I wasn't real comfortable with it actually. It just didn't feel anywhere near as stable as when the tailgate is up. Even with tie downs it felt loose when you shook it. Maybe worthwhile for short distances at less than highway speeds.

I only use the bed extender for furniture, appliances, building supplies, etc.