Quantcast

Truck or keep subaru

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
So, I drive a 2011 Subaru Impreza hatchback 5sp with 140K miles. I've had it since new. Since buying a house I've been considering buying a pickup truck for house projects and yard work. Also, a truck bed would be helpful for dirty/wet gear and bikes. I have a roof rack for the Subaru with two trays for bikes.

Lately I've been considering looking for a used Nissan Frontier crew cab (4x4, 6sp, short bed) and sealing my Subaru to my dad. Has anyone gone from a Subaru to a truck?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

I don't get the crew cab and short bed. You can't haul a whole lot of stuff in the back. It just looks like a minivan with the back top quarter missing.

I say keep the Subie if you really like it and get a beater pick-up for utility purposes, and shuttling.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Jonkrankipants is right. Keep subie for commuting and road trips, but beater truck for local riding and projects.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
Thanks for the replies. I'm still not sure because I would like a truck for offroading and overlanding just for fun and exploring mountain roads near my house and in West Virginia. My plan was to get a cheap truck for such and keep the Subaru, but my dad wants a small MT car now that he is retired and my wife said I would have to sell it to get a truck. So, I have been looking a trucks a little nicer (around $10K). I plan to pay for half and finance half through my credit union with a small loan and pay it off in a year.

My grand plan is to buy a fun car once my students loans are paid off (have about one more year). Something with 300-400 HP and rear wheel drive, maybe a new mustang gt or a used m3. That would be in addition to either my Subaru or truck. I'd love to have three vehicle but that would require building another garage and wifey REALLY isn't thrilled with that idea.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I went from a Outback Wagon to a Ram 1500 recently, with almost identical motivation. I loved my Subby,and the Ram is quite a bit different. Hauling stuff is a plus, but it is quite a bit different on the highway and in town. For me the jury is still out. I think if I had been stateside and able to do so I would have kept the paid off running like a top Subby and picked up a mid 90s truck for work days...

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
Replaced the head gaskets yet? :D
No, I have not. My last Subaru (a 2002 OBS) needed them replaced around 88K miles. I would hope they got the headgaskets sorted by 2011, but it is pretty much the same motor as the old OBS.

I had the timing belts replaced at 120K and the clutch at 130K. The clutch was actually fine, but the throw out bearing was toast.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The thing about a pick up is, your pals without one will all want your help or to borrow it for their projects/moving.
If you are into bartering for beer this could work in your favor.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The rumor is that the head gasket issue went away as of the 2011 model year.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

:D
I have a 2007; at 75 K I had the gaskets replace by the local Subaru dealer who informed me that it was routine every 100 K or so. My parents drove Subarus from the early 80s to the late 90s and they also had gasket issues and they still consider the 3 they had as the best cars they have owned. I guess people just get used to it - it's the only maintenence I've had to do in 8 years and I drive the car hard through the mountain passes on a regular basis.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
The rumor is that the head gasket issue went away as of the 2011 model year.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah. dont hold your breath. 'Buddy who owns a machine shop and does work for a few foreign auto dealers in the area says he's already decked & checked a few 2014 & 2015(!) suby heads...

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have a 2007; at 75 K I had the gaskets replace by the local Subaru dealer who informed me that it was routine every 100 K or so. My parents drove Subarus from the early 80s to the late 90s and they also had gasket issues and they still consider the 3 they had as the best cars they have owned. I guess people just get used to it - it's the only maintenence I've had to do in 8 years and I drive the car hard through the mountain passes on a regular basis.
Head gaskets are NOT "maintenance" items. That said - our '97 Outback has been a pretty good vehicle all things considered.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I really liked the Legacy. It was fast and handled nicely. 4 doors was nice. Seats were comfy. Kick ass sound also....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah... like Toyotas. They need oil changes. Occasionally.

And sometimes a Frame Replacement.

A buddy of mine got a new Tacoma. Brought it to the dealer for the first oil change. When he got home there was oil everywhere. Dealer didn't understand the "change" part, they just added 5 or 6 quarts of the fresh stuff and the engine was basically overflowing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Yeah... like Toyotas. They need oil changes. Occasionally.

Yeah, or they need new accelerator pedals, or like the 22re in trucks they need timing chains and guides all the time, or the frames are paper thin and they rust away and have to be replaced, or.....

The list goes on. Like my Ford fuckus that ford was just forced to buy back, worked in my favor, but was a giant headache for 3 years.

I'd have rather changed a $20 gasket.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I guess if you have an engine hoist you could get all Stoney on your Subaru... it ain't like changing your oil, though...
It's also not "that" difficult, it's time consuming. Changing hard physical parts on cars is not bad, there are directions out there for everything, just like wrenching on bikes.

Driveability, electrical issues, Ford Focus DCT transmissions, etc. That stuff is a bitch.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yeah, or they need new accelerator pedals, or like the 22re in trucks they need timing chains and guides all the time, or the frames are paper thin and they rust away and have to be replaced, or.....

The list goes on. Like my Ford fuckus that ford was just forced to buy back, worked in my favor, but was a giant headache for 3 years.

I'd have rather changed a $20 gasket.
I would have preferred a $20 gasket as well but I am not capable of such a feat, I had to have the dealer do it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
And sometimes a Frame Replacement.

A buddy of mine got a new Tacoma. Brought it to the dealer for the first oil change. When he got home there was oil everywhere. Dealer didn't understand the "change" part, they just added 5 or 6 quarts of the fresh stuff and the engine was basically overflowing.
On one of my Tacoma forums a guy was posting to ask about his truck running rough and having to keep on the gas at stop lights so it wouldn't stall. Turns out he had just "changed his oil" but instead drained the transmission and put in another 5.5 quarts of oil. :rofl:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
haha, yeah I can't wait for that. Ford can;t even program a transmission to work properly, I can't wait to ride with one of their self driven cars. I can only imagine the whiplash we're all gonna feel.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I think that the Big 3 are going to be the Big Losers in the self-driving car game.
I think that General Motors will be able to hold their own, their software and calibration game is on point in comparison to Ford and Chrysler.

Toyota already tried to make self driving cars, they just didn't tell anyone :teehee:

I always thought VW/Audi was doing pretty good, til they got busted not being able to do what they were claiming.

I work for Nissan, I don't drive one. They seem to do ok with infotainment programming, but i don't know about engine cal and trans cal.

Tesla has some guys with some knowledge, but they can't get off the ground to sell cars yet.

Ford is a clear loser, their infotainment systems and trans cal is terrible, would argue their motors aren't breaking any ground either.

In the end you have to look at who's got decent software guys in place now and making reliable stuff (from that standpoint)

I could see Toyota/Lexus figuring the shit out at some point, maybe Honda/Acura, and GM.

But I dunno, that's just me being an outsider with out any knowledge of the subject just passing the time during another boring work day.