Quantcast

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
I can't get my nissan 1986 d21 pick up to crank over! It just would randomly do this at first...you go to try and start it up but no go.. then come back a hour later and it would fire right up, but now it won't crank at all.. been stuck at my work for a few days now. All the relays click and I've checked the ignition switch. still nothing. its fuel injected and a manual btw I can answer any computer questions any time if you help me out :]

just give me some ideas what to look for?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
seriously? asking this on Ridemonkey?

how about calling a CAR REPAIR SHOP or at the very least ask this question on a automotive forum, not a BIKE forum?
I'm sure there are some car-heads around here, but if you want a quick answer instead of a bunch of smartasses (like myself), I'd recommend looking into one of those other options.

just sayin'...seemed like common sense to me...

p.s.- lol @ Kids in the Hall , damn I miss that show!

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

Seriously... hit the starter with a hammer with about the same force as you'd use to break a window.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
push start? see if that works? if it does, it's probably the starter. It's likely the starter or the battery, try jumping it as well. if it clicks but doesn't turn over, the starter isn't doing it's job or getting the juice it needs.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
heh i forgot about hitting the starter.. I'll do that on my lunch. It's a pain to get too.

would that be the same has rocking it in gear to free up the starter?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
heh i forgot about hitting the starter.. I'll do that on my lunch. It's a pain to get too.

would that be the same has rocking it in gear to free up the starter?
I think hitting the starter only helps if the starter won't engage while rocking the truck in gear is to disengage a stuck starter.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seriously, get some strong friends, push the truck down a hill or across the lot, then drop the clutch in gear. you really haven't tried this yet?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Funny the engine doesn't have a hole rusted through it yet. Does the truck still have a bed? Check if the bed is connected to the cab?

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

Seriously... hit the starter with a hammer with about the same force as you'd use to break a window.
Haha kept a hammer in my passenger seat for about 6 months for the same reason. Didnt have enough cash/time to buy and replace it at the time. Hammer worked every time. Got some strange looks in the parking lots tho.