Quantcast

Truck...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
H8R said:
Mazda B series. Anyone?
Identical to Ford ranger w/ a smaller dealer base. Ford will probably have better pricing and financing options if you're looking for new.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
'nuther vote for the taco. Had mine since 00 and it's been through thoughtless mods like a corny suspension lift, useless bumper thumper, etc. I bought it new in 00 and have put every bit of the 75k+ miles on it with really no problems except a pesky intermittent ABS problem. Motor runs smooth, shifts well, handles decent, good power (enough for pulling my zero turn mower on a trailer), ample room for a couple bikes and plenty of gear in the bed. Overall, I'm happy and would buy another one in 15 years when this one is ready for a rebuild...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Brian HCM#1 said:
I love my 2001 Chevy Silverado Z-71 that I bought in October of 2002 with 13000 miles on it and scored it for $25K. Full leather, heated seats, on-star etc.
now, i do love Zs, and would gladly trade my Taco for a 98 Z...but i don't think they're exactly "small or midsized".

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We used to have a Dakota and it didn't give us any problems. Now we have a RAM and we've had a few issues (transmission, and front ball joints replaced). I also have a Chevy Equinox and I am lovin' it thus far. I've had a recall, and Chevy/GM dealt with it fast and their service is outstanding (of course, I have only had the vehicle since September)!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ridemonkey said:
I've had two Rangers and they were good trucks. Make sure you get the 4 liter engine, the 3 liter is gutless.

I second that. 3.0 lacks power. Look at the Mazda trucks too. Basically the exact same truck as the ranger (built on the same chasis, same engine, etc) for a little less $$$. I have a '96 B3000 with about 198K on it. Its been a great truck. It's lost almost all the power it ever had now but other than that no major problems. (knock on wood). Just change your oil every 3-5K miles and you are good to go.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok - I'll narrow it to:

1) Tacoma
2) Ranger
3) Dodge - if the deal is as sweet as I think it is. -1% off dealer invoice. What's a standard dealer mark-up on new trucks?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
H8R said:
Ok - I'll narrow it to:

1) Tacoma
2) Ranger
3) Dodge - if the deal is as sweet as I think it is. -1% off dealer invoice. What's a standard dealer mark-up on new trucks?
Since you dont' seem to have a brand preference (which is in your favor as a buyer), then look at it scientifically:

Guess how many miles you'll be driving and compare that to the MPG to guage fuel costs.

Call your insurance company and get quotes for all three.

Go to each dealer and beat the snot out of them on price. :devil:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ian F said:
Since you dont' seem to have a brand preference (which is in your favor as a buyer), then look at it scientifically:

Guess how many miles you'll be driving and compare that to the MPG to guage fuel costs.

Call your insurance company and get quotes for all three.

Go to each dealer and beat the snot out of them on price. :devil:
Also, do some research on cost of ownership. This usually accounts for basic maintenance, fuel, repairs, etc. Edmuds might be a good place to start for that. Consumer reports also... not real sure though.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I own a 94 Ranger xcab, 2wd with the 4.0 litre V6. Iv'e had it since 96, and it's around 90,000 miles right now. Has a teeny oil leak, and I've put maybe $2000 into it in repairs in 9 years. It gets about 26mpg on the highway, but really burns through it in town, especially with the A/C on.

My sis has the same model, but a 4x4 with the 3 litre V6. She likes it but says it's pretty gutless.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
H8R,
I bought the Dakota SLT+ 4 x 4 loaded with all the options, leather, 5-speed, heavy service group, tow, interior, ect. for 33k. The base price plus 70k warranty and tax and lic. The sticker on the truck was 35k. If you are willing to buy one with 20k or so miles you could probaly get one for between 20-25k. The only downside to the Dodge or any domestic for that reason is resale. I don't care because mine is for work and to write it off I have to keep it for the whole five years, the Toy will keep a better resale if you plan on selling in the next couple of years. I prefer the Dodge because it feels like a truck, you don't sit on the floor like a Toy or Ford Ranger and you get more interior room. Go sit in the Toy and Ranger and then sit in the Dodge. I don't think you can go wrong with the Dakota.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
H8R said:
Ok - I'll narrow it to:

1) Tacoma
2) Ranger

Just curious why the GM trucks were left off? They can be had for cheap with all the rebates and dealer incentives.