Quantcast

Trucks that seat 4-5 people and don't suck...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh, I like the explorer sport trac suggestion. Forgot about those. Nice trucks.

Edit: Short bed though.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Why do companies even make pickup trucks that are 2 wheel drive? Its an oxymoron... like a chick that is both fat and hot.
First off, there's some pretty hot beefy chicks out there, IHMO of course.

And secondly, I have no real use for 4x4, though it would be nice I guess... the security of knowing it's there. But it drives the cost way up and isn't particularly useful 99.9% of the time.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
I say if your ranger is to small then any midsized truck wont be much better. Any one who says 4 or 5 adults fit comfortably in a midsize is either full of **** or they re the driver in which case their seat is all the way back and the poor bastard in the back seat has his knees up by his ears trying to fit back there.

So that really only leaves full size. Find a one or two year old GM Silverado or Sierra. People buy them and then realize they cant afford it so you buy it as a used vehicle with 8000 miles and save $10-15 000. I had three (two Silverados and one Sierra) they regularly got 18 mpg driving aggressively and 20 mpg was doable with the right person driving. I personally think they re the best looking trucks out also but thats only an opinion.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
First off, there's some pretty hot beefy chicks out there, IHMO of course.

And secondly, I have no real use for 4x4, though it would be nice I guess... the security of knowing it's there. But it drives the cost way up and isn't particularly useful 99.9% of the time.
I bought my truck when I was living in Upstate NY. I would turn 4 wheel drive on in early November, and not turn it off until about May.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
FWIW, I love my Silverado crew cab. I've had it for 3+ years and have had ZERO problems with it. I looked at every fullsize crew cab on the market and liked the Silverado the best. The biggest thing to me was the rear seats were more comfortable and seemed to have the most room than any of the others. I have taken many road trips with 4 people with no complaints about being cramped.
I also pull a trailer fairly often and I don't notice huge decreases in fuel economy, even when towing 3000lbs+. I typically average 14 in town and 19-20 on the highway and I have 35" tires on it.
The biggest negative I have about it is the short bed, but it still gets the job done. I can put a motorcycle in the back, but I have to leave the tail gate down.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Silverado crew cab.
Does that have the multi-displacement or whatever they called it? I rented a new Silverado that said it was getting 23mpg average on a short hwy road trip, but my math said different.

But my math could be faulty.

My daughter wanted to keep it, but it was too spendy for my cheap ass.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Does that have the multi-displacement or whatever they called it? I rented a new Silverado that said it was getting 23mpg average on a short hwy road trip, but my math said different.

No, it doesn't have that, but my Yukon does. I think they started putting that on GMs in '07.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole

GM uses instant MPG and actual MPG (at least thats the way I remember it) . If you have the display set to instant reading it always reads high. The actual mpg read out is usually pretty accurate.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
ford f-150 . i get 13 road mph and 15 hwy. great truck mine seats 6 , but one time when i was shuttling i had 8 homies in my truck. i'm on my 2nd f-150 and i think there great trucks . i haven't had any major issues and would reccomend an f-150 like i'm doing now.
F150 is a great truck, I loved mine. Liked it a lot better than the Tundra I got after it. Anyway, I bet hippy wants a smaller truck. Suzuki unveiled a new truck at 24 hours of Moab this past weekend. Quality is probably good and who knows - maybe it's cheap.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
ford f-150 . i get 13 road mph and 15 hwy. great truck mine seats 6 , but one time when i was shuttling i had 8 homies in my truck. i'm on my 2nd f-150 and i think there great trucks . i haven't had any major issues and would reccomend an f-150 like i'm doing now.
man that's insane: 13 mpg translates into 18 l/100km!!! :eek:

you obviously don't give a fvck about stuff like environment or gas prices.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I say if your ranger is to small then any midsized truck wont be much better.
Ever sat in a Ranger 2 seater? Most any crew cab would be better. Even a king cab with micro seats.

Any one who says 4 or 5 adults fit comfortably in a midsize is either full of **** or they re the driver in which case their seat is all the way back and the poor bastard in the back seat has his knees up by his ears trying to fit back there.
I am 6'3" but the wife is tiny and then there is my beanpole daughter and a baby boy.

Not trying to seat 4-5 adults, just a small family.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
My old boss had a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. He would pull a 20 foot camper trailer with it. He put the rubber booster springs in it, just in case.

The minivan really would suit your needs far better than a pick-up.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My old boss had a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. He would pull a 20 foot camper trailer with it. He put the rubber booster springs in it, just in case.

The minivan really would suit your needs far better than a pick-up.
Ever hauled mulch or drywall or trash in a minivan?

NO FVCKING MINIVAN.

Ok?

:D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I had a 1st-model-year Nissan Frontier king cab (prior to introduction of the crew cab). Transmission (stick!) was made of soft cheese; otherwise it served me reasonably well. But I had to sell it after the 4th transmission or so. I think they might have beefed it up some in subsequent years, but still have a bad taste in my mouth about them. I got the Nissan based on reputation of the previous model Hardbody.

I'd get a Tacoma if I needed another such vehicle.

I'd actually want a diesel Hi-Lux crew cab if I could have one in the US. Have you seen Top Gear's attempts to destroy one? They culminated by putting it on top of a building which was being demolished, and it still ran when they fished it out of the rubble. (After having immersed it in the ocean, gone at it with a wrecking ball, dropping a trailer on top of it, etc...) But it at least speaks to Toyota quality in general.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ever hauled mulch or drywall or trash in a minivan?

NO FVCKING MINIVAN.

Ok?

:D
Actually same guy used to haul LOTS of drywall in the grand Caravan. The grand Caravan is big enough to lie 4x8 sheets flat on the floor with the gate closed. And the stow&go seats...it is what you need. You should just accept it.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I bought my truck when I was living in Upstate NY. I would turn 4 wheel drive on in early November, and not turn it off until about May.
I live in Upstate NY as well and I can count the number of times I had my Tacoma in 4WD on both hands over a 5 year span. I really miss the utility of a truck but four wheel drive is definitely not necessary. I used 4WD more often to get out of my driveway than anything else because I don't like to shovel.

Tacomas are available with the 6ft bed, 4 real doors and are head and shoulders above Frontier quality, fit & finish. I think Toyota has 0% financing right now if you're going new. Go for the Double Cab, Pre-Runner, Long Bed. With both my Tacoma extra cab TRD 4wd 3.4l V6 and now my 4Runner (4.0l V6) I've beat the EPA estimated mileage consistently.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We love our Silverado -- bigger than you want, but it's a 4 door (the back doors open and fold out), can seat 5 comfortably, 6 ft. bed, plenty of power and options for comfort and it gets relatively good gas mileage.

I would also suggest the Colorado too...we looked at them, but Sq-Earl wanted a full-size.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, yeah, I 2nd the no 4x4 option unless you're planning on using it primarily in off-road situations, which it doesn't seem you are. It's not worth the expense and weight in a country where nearly every road is paved and even the back tracks to a trailhead are graveled or at least graded.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Look at the nissan titan. I have nearly 100k and it is still running strong. Mine is the 2wd, and got 20.5mpg from colorado back to ohio this summer. Normally 15mpg city/19.5 hwy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh, yeah, I 2nd the no 4x4 option unless you're planning on using it primarily in off-road situations, which it doesn't seem you are. It's not worth the expense and weight in a country where nearly every road is paved and even the back tracks to a trailhead are graveled or at least graded.
true, and most modern trucks come with some sort of improved differential, be it an LSD or manual locker, which helps immensely in slick conditions.

I'm considering a similar truck for myself. I like the toyota's smallness and reliability, but I fear that it's used market values are too high because nothing really compares. I know that's kind of a :duh: comment, but when you can get an 05 chevy for the same price as a 99 tacoma, something's wrong, and it's not just because of quality or reliability. Perhaps the used market is flooded with rangers and the frontier is too rare or something.

I've heard very good things about the Nismo frontier, including better gas mileage than the standard version.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Perhaps the used market is flooded with rangers and the frontier is too rare or something.
If the earlier Sport Trac is indeed based on the Ranger chassis then I would look at those too. I think the Ranger gets a bad rap. They're awesome little trucks.

They're Mazda B-series trucks anyway. The only difference is trim.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the ranger isn't a bad truck, it's just not "new". There's nothing exciting about it, and there really isn't a whole lot differentiating today's from the same truck 20 years ago.

They are releasing a new pickup shortly. Suzuki is also releasing a frontier with their name on it...so it might be cheaper.

I like the sport trac, especially the latest one with independent rear suspension. Out of my pricerange through, and I'd like something smaller.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
If they made a diesel, 4-door Ranger I would have the perfect car for the rest of my life.

Get on the ball FORD!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's a nice looking truck...shame the manufacturers here can't figure it out. The subaru baja came close, but it fell short.

How about a COMPACT compact pickup with awd, IRS, enough space to haul dirty bikes and MAYBE a motorcycle, and small enough to be parked in the city?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I live in Upstate NY as well and I can count the number of times I had my Tacoma in 4WD on both hands over a 5 year span. I really miss the utility of a truck but four wheel drive is definitely not necessary. I used 4WD more often to get out of my driveway than anything else because I don't like to shovel.
Where I lived outside of rochester, pretty much as a rule they wouldn't plow the roads unless there was 4" of snow or more on the roads.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
WTF is up with the lack of diesels here in the US?

Unless you feel like driving a VW rabbit pickup, you're screwed.

Edit: Wonder if that came in Eggplant?

Last edited: