Quantcast

Trucks that seat 4-5 people and don't suck...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How about a COMPACT compact pickup with awd, IRS, enough space to haul dirty bikes and MAYBE a motorcycle, and small enough to be parked in the city?
Compact pickups used to be compact. Now even the Tacomas are approaching mid to full size. WTF?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Compact pickups used to be compact. Now even the Tacomas are approaching mid to full size. WTF?
i went thru this last summer and wound up buying a used '01 Taco 4 door. The thing about it is that the bed it tiny.. the new gen Tacos have a lot deeper bed and they are wider too.

But, if you want compact, then look at the previous gen Tacos... but good luck finding a good quality used one, and if you do, be prepared to pay top $ for it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But, if you want compact, then look at the previous gen Tacos... but good luck finding a good quality used one, and if you do, be prepared to pay top $ for it.
That's what I just went through on Saturday. I had a list of 6 trucks, all 4cyl 89-94 (I don't care for the Taco body lines and the early V6's suck ass without a ton of upgrades). Book is $2k but all of them were asking $4k or more.

One truck was a bone stock standard cab standard bed DX model without a radio. Sticker was $4999 and it had 305k miles! Guy said it will be gone in a week.

I did finally get an '89 with 175k for $2400. A little more than I wanted to pay, but it runs like a champ.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Actually same guy used to haul LOTS of drywall in the grand Caravan. The grand Caravan is big enough to lie 4x8 sheets flat on the floor with the gate closed. And the stow&go seats...it is what you need. You should just accept it.
I say pick up a used sh!tty hatchback that you won't care about getting mulch in the back of, and rent a truck from HD for $20 when you need to haul anything bigger. We fit 50 retaining wall blocks in my wife's Focus a couple weeks ago, handled the job just fine (twice, actually).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We fit 50 retaining wall blocks in my wife's Focus a couple weeks ago, handled the job just fine (twice, actually).
I fit nearly a half cord of split firewood in the back of my old CRX one year. I still wish I would have kept that little car, 50mpg was awesome.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I say pick up a used sh!tty hatchback that you won't care about getting mulch in the back of, and rent a truck from HD for $20 when you need to haul anything bigger. We fit 50 retaining wall blocks in my wife's Focus a couple weeks ago, handled the job just fine (twice, actually).
I haul big items often. Renting a trailer or truck from U-haul or HD is not feasible, I'd be dropping $200 a month on rentals.

No minivan, no hatchback.

Get it through your thick skulls people, I NEED A TRUCK.

Option I just thought of: Sport Trac or similar with a lumber rack....hmmm.....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've read that it's largely the U.S. consumer perception that diesel is "dirty" - no one buys them here so it's not cost effective for manufacturers to bring them to market.
Its because it is higher in some emissions and the cost engineering and certify them to pass emission is expensive for a demand that is hard to gauge. VW stopped selling them for a while until they made a new emissions system. Their urea system for larger engines still isn't out.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I haul big items often. Renting a trailer or truck from U-haul or HD is not feasible, I'd be dropping $200 a month on rentals.

No minivan, no hatchback.

Get it through your thick skulls people, I NEED A TRUCK.

Why not buy your own trailer? That is what most people do in Denmark were nobody has pick up trucks. They are easy to load and clean too.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

That's waht I did. 6ft bed is plenty for gear and dump runs but doesn't cut it for drywall, plywood, or 16ft pieces of siding. The lumber rack is a pain to load compared to a fullsize, but it has never let me down and it can carry just about anything.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's waht I did. 6ft bed is plenty for gear and dump runs but doesn't cut it for drywall, plywood, or 16ft pieces of siding. The lumber rack is a pain to load compared to a fullsize, but it has never let me down and it can carry just about anything.
Why not just get Yakima style rails and take off the bike stuff when not in use? Lumber racks are a pain in the ass and make a truck handle even worse than a truck.

I helped make a bridge for a friend that went into the stake pockets on the back of the bed and was level with the roof rack bars. That way you can run crap from the roof to the back. Toss up a couple of 2x4's to support things like drywall, too. Because it was just a bridge, it didn't take up space when not in use.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Its because it is higher in some emissions and the cost engineering and certify them to pass emission is expensive for a demand that is hard to gauge. VW stopped selling them for a while until they made a new emissions system. Their urea system for larger engines still isn't out.
No its because the EPA does whatever CARB says and CARB hates diesels for their own reasons (PM linked to cancer). So in effect they forced the EPA to legislate diesels right out of the light-duty market. Then the went after the light heavy-duty market (full-size pickup trucks).

In addition to legislating ridiculous emission levels within unreasonable time scales, they also legislated technology. For the longest time they were only going to allow LNX technology and not UREA based after-treatment. I think in recent years they have started to lighten up but for awhile it was a mess.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i've seen full 4'x8' sheets of gyp board easily hauled in a ford Windstar..
You *can* haul drywall and all kindsa other crap in a minivan.

If you don't mind the interior getting thrashed and the carpet getting filthy.

And not having enough room for giant drum cases. Or lumber.

Or easily being able to load and scoop out bulk materials like mulch, sand and soil.

It's not a vanity thing. I drive a base model Ranger for fvck's sake. I don't worry about looking like a nerd, so that's not the problem.

Minivans suck eggs out of a donkey's ass, that's the problem.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
that is true.. that windstar blew an engine with 150k on it...

a real POS.

i've thought about getting a lumber rack made for my Taco so I can actually haul something with it.. as i said the bed it tiny and even more so now cuz i put a tool box on the bed.

look at a commercial grade 4 dr taco.. all white, no bells and whistles priced to sell.

http://www.toyota.com/businessfleet/vehicles/tacoma/coo_vehicle.html

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
If ONLY there was some tarp-like item one could by inexpensivley to protect carpet and such....Damn!

I slay me,,,

You *can* haul drywall and all kindsa other crap in a minivan.

If you don't mind the interior getting thrashed and the carpet getting filthy.

And not having enough room for giant drum cases. Or lumber.

Or easily being able to load and scoop out bulk materials like mulch, sand and soil.

It's not a vanity thing. I drive a base model Ranger for fvck's sake. I don't worry about looking like a nerd, so that's not the problem.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
look at a commercial grade 4 dr taco.. all white, no bells and whistles priced to sell.

FYI,
They don't make a "fleet" level double cab. In order to get the double cab, you have to get the Prerunner and upgrade to the real truck chassis. Not a bad thing since the GVW on the 5 lugs is much lower.
It's a nice truck though and they can be had all day long for $25k.

And MMike, you're just grumpy because your wife won't let you buy a truck.