Quantcast

True of False: Mechanical Disc brakes

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
OK, just ordered my first set of disc brakes. I remember reading (years ago) that if the brake lever is pulled while the rotor is removed, I'll seriously screw up my calipers.

I need to store my bike with the front wheel removed, so this is a concern.

True or false?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
There is nothing to worry about if you have mechanical disks. If you squeeze the lever with regular disk brakes the pistons will push out and you may have to destroy the pads in order to get the pistons back in enough to remove the pads.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
It's unclear if you have mechanical or hydraulic discs. With mechanicals you have nothing to worry about. If you have hydros, it's not the biggest deal in the world. Just take a big flathead screwdriver and push the pads apart if you accidentally squeeze the lever. Better yet, get a pad spacer or shove a piece of cardboard in between the pads when the wheel is out to prevent the problem from occurring in the first place

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
In case you were wondering why this happens with hydros... It is because hydros automatically adjust to pad wear and self center. So whether your pads are new or about to go the pull will always feel the same and both pads will always touch at the same time. With mechanicals you will have to dial it down as the pads wear (just like you did with rim brakes) and manually center them.

BUMP

Chimp
Mar 19, 2008
North-West Jersey
if there mechanical your fine. if they're hydrolic save the little plastic inserts that come with your brakes and put them into the calibers whenever you take the front wheel off.