Quantcast

Truing contemporary wheelsets

I have laced and trued motorcycle and bicycle wheel sets, but have not spent enough time at it to become competent and efficient.

Being as I'm now stuck at home a lot, I decided that I wanted to true the rear wheel on my 2015 Intense Tracer 275 Alloy Pro, so I just got a Park Tool TS-2.2P truing stand.

The first thing that I observe is that I'm going to need a 15mm shaft longer than the axle of the bike and a spacer to get the hub properly positioned in the stand for centering and truing the rim.

I presume that there must be kits for this; Park doesn't seem to have one.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have laced and trued motorcycle and bicycle wheel sets, but have not spent enough time at it to become competent and efficient.

Being as I'm now stuck at home a lot, I decided that I wanted to true the rear wheel on my 2015 Intense Tracer 275 Alloy Pro, so I just got a Park Tool TS-2.2P truing stand.

The first thing that I observe is that I'm going to need a 15mm shaft longer than the axle of the bike and a spacer to get the hub properly positioned in the stand for centering and truing the rim.

I presume that there must be kits for this; Park doesn't seem to have one.
Or, just flip the bike upside down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't know if the vee is wide enough on the park but with my old school stand I just put the axle in the hub and rest the axle in the vee. Works great no parts required.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, from what I understand, only a 157mm hub doesn’t work with its own axle in a Park Tool truing stand (too wide).

There are a 12, 15 and 20 mm axle living on my truing stand.

Those qr inserts are probably more solid than a 20mm axle sitting in the V slot.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I just have some domed Park adapters with mine that clamp into the V's and then press into the end of the hub opening...

edit:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I just have some domed Park adapters with mine that clamp into the V's and then press into the end of the hub opening...

edit:

This one looks decent as well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
seriously tho. i just flip the bike and eyeball it. if i want to go crazy i'll tape a wooden shish kebob skewer to the bike. matters a whole lot less in the golden age of NRB*

*NotRimBrakes

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
seriously tho. i just flip the bike and eyeball it. if i want to go crazy i'll tape a wooden shish kebob skewer to the bike. matters a whole lot less in the golden age of NRB*

*NotRimBrakes
Not only that, but you get the wheel true with the frame, which tends to vary a bit from frame to frame, so true it in the frame I say, better than stand.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Not only that, but you get the wheel true with the frame, which tends to vary a bit from frame to frame, so true it in the frame I say, better than stand.
You are right, and I usually use some combination of both. Either true in the stand then fine tune on the bike, or get the dish right on the bike then bring to the stand to finish true/tension.

As to adapters, when I don't use the axle itself I prefer a design like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144523610897?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=u98ZUwn9SrC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY