Quantcast

Trump 2012!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It's not clear to me that "genius" would be an important qualifier. Genius in what category? The success of an executive, in government or another endeavor, depends on the nature of the cats they herd, the containing environment plus the ten percent that the executive contributes, by luck or skill, to help focus a legislature and communicate a vision of the value of what they're doing to those of us who bother to vote.
I like this statement, JBP.

Trump is a bully. Admittedly, he is a smart personality only in the respect that he knows what people want to hear that will fire them up, but ultimately will be an utter failure when the rubber meets the road.

We can't have anymore representatives of our country going around the world saying the things he says.

This is all a dog and pony show designed to bump the Trump into the spotlight lest we forget for a second that he exists. Palin's fans have migrated to Bachman, as will Trump's....and when Bachman fades into the background in about 8 months, their support will shift to Romney.

I feel awful for Huckabee. He's like the kid who is doing everything right--studying hard for the test, making B-pluses in all the classes, and Trump is like the guy who smokes weed all night, comes in and does just as good on the test.

Obama will crush Trump. I'm no Obama fan, but he'll get another run at it and succeed. I would just like to see some more backbone from a guy who comes from Chicago. Let's see some fire outta that Dijon-loving community organizer.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Donald Trump: Troll in Chief?
It has come to my attention that there are still a few people in the world that I have not offended. I'd like to fix that by endorsing Donald Trump for president. But not for the reasons you might think.

This morning I read a news item saying that some folks at NBC think Trump might be pretending to run for president to boost ratings. The story noted that ratings for his TV show are up 20% lately. I laughed out loud because sometimes I forget that at least half the country doesn't realize he's just screwing with the media.

The magnificent part of this whole thing is that he's putting no effort whatsoever into concealing his prank. That's what I love about the guy. He knows that no level of clownery in a field of clowns will single him out as the one clown that doesn't really mean it.

Take Trump's recent empathy with the so-called birthers. That's the most brilliant part of his plan. It's a dead giveaway that he's just screwing with the media, and it has the added benefit of concentrating most of their attention on that one trivial issue. He doesn't even need to study up on the other issues. While Romney is writing position papers, Trump is golfing.

If you are not a student of practical jokes, you might not know they have a specific formula. A proper practical joke is more than a surprise or a lie. The magic part of the prank formula involves leaving enormous clues that are obvious to everyone but the target of the prank.

For example, if you have a coworker who likes to whistle little tunes in his cubicle, his blind spot is that he imagines other people are impressed and delighted by his whistling prowess. You could use that blind spot to engineer your prank. For example, you might have a friend call this fellow at work, pretending to be the director of the local symphony. Your co-conspirator could say the symphony is looking for an accomplished whistler to do a solo when the President of the United States' is in town next month. The payoff is getting the whistler to show up at the local symphony and ask the receptionist where he should go for the whistling audition.

The thing that makes the prank work is that no one in the solar system, except for the whistler, would find this scenario credible. He alone could imagine that word of his whistling talents have started to get around town. And he alone would imagine that the President of the United States would want to hear his whistling solo.

Back to Trump. He's a graduate of the Wharton School, which means his intelligence is in the genius range. He's a world-renowned businessman with attention to details. He's also famous for a trademark form of self-parody that has boosted his brand for decades. There isn't the slightest chance that this man hasn't looked at the birther evidence. He knows the President of the United States is American. That's the hiding in plain sight part of this prank. It isn't the least bit credible that Trump thinks the birther issue is real.

Some of you are thinking he's gone too far with the joke. Or maybe he went too far when he said we should take Iraq's oil by force as payment for a war they didn't ask for. This is not a man who thinks he might someday debate serious politicians in a public forum. This is a man who is winking at the camera and daring you to see the obvious.

Normally I wouldn't call out a prankster while the prank is in play. But this is a special case because the people who think he's serious have made up their minds. In order for them to accept that this is a prank, they'd have to accept that they can't tell the difference between a real candidate and one who is yanking their chains. Brains are not wired for that sort of 180 turn. In the history of humankind, no one has ever said, "I thought I was a brilliant observer of politics but this new information proves that my brain is the size of a tiny mouse turd." Trump's prank literally can't be exposed by anyone but him.

Trump is smart enough to never admit that his presidential aspirations are no more than marketing. To admit the trick would damage his brand. But he has no need to ever expose the prank. Trump, the magnificent bastard, has figured out a way to have his cake and eat it too. The people who are in on the joke find it entertaining. The people who will never know it's a joke have raised their opinion of him so much that he's the leading Republican presidential contender. And his TV ratings are up, so from a marketing standpoint it's working.

Granted, many people are turned off by Trump's pomposity. He knows that. But he also knows that success doesn't come from bland acceptance by the entire world. It comes from the ability to inspire the few. He's nailing that part. I just spent my morning writing about him.

The other genius part of his marketing is that he knows people are influenced by repetition more than reason. The attention he gets for his alleged presidential ambitions allow him to tell you over and over again that all things Trump are amazing. That part of the plan is working too.
http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/donald_trump_magnificent_bastard/

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
He's a graduate of the Wharton School, which means his intelligence is in the genius range.

Scott Adams is a retard. Just suck his dick already, Dilbert.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
he had the same pissed look when Obama tore into him for several minutes.

edit:
What was really funny is while Obama was mocking Trump's decision on who to fire on Celebrity Apprentice and how it would keep him up at night, he was deciding on to pull the trigger on Bin Laden, not such an easy decision considering received no approval from Congress or Pakistan and there was a chance that OBL was not there.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Americans: Stupid enough to vote for a alcoholic and cokehead because they'd like to have a beer with him.
I'm fine with the alcohol and the coke... as long as he makes it to work, those don't really affect me. It's the born-again willful ignorance and self-perceived infallibility that ****ed this country to high heaven.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What was really funny is while Obama was mocking Trump's decision on who to fire on Celebrity Apprentice and how it would keep him up at night, he was deciding on to pull the trigger on Bin Laden, not such an easy decision considering received no approval from Congress or Pakistan and there was a chance that OBL was not there.
he probably had a chubby behind that podium. he's one cold blooded killer(though he phoned this one in.) telling jokes when you are acting on killing the most wanted man in the world.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The Donald said:
"Well, I really understood what I was getting into -- I didn't know that I'd be virtually the sole focus," he told Fox and Friends, adding, "I had no idea it would be to that extent, where you know, it was just joke after joke after joke. It was almost like, is there anyone else they could talk about?"
Sorry buddy you were the biggest joke in the room. Also did I read that wrong or are you completely contradicting yourself?