Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When are the new Senators (from GA) sworn in? Could this be the first order of business for Senate Majority Leader Schumer, with Vice President Harris casting the deciding vote?! (#winning indeed! - though if I'm not mistaken, a vote to impeach requires a 2/3 majority?)
After he's gone, there might be enough folks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I assume they could convict and sentence, but suspect no republicans would support jail time. But stripping him of Presidential benefits and any further political office will suffice. Could you imagine a Trump Library? What would they do when all the coloring books got filled out?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
When are the new Senators (from GA) sworn in? Could this be the first order of business for Senate Majority Leader Schumer, with Vice President Harris casting the deciding vote?! (#winning indeed! - though if I'm not mistaken, a vote to impeach requires a 2/3 majority?)
Requires 2/3 of the senators present when the vote is scheduled - meaning if 25 Republicans get lost on the way to the Chamber when the vote is scheduled and all 50 Dems turn up and vote Yes versus the remaining 25 Repubs - he's convicted.

There will then be a second vote to bar him from holding a Government position again - that just requires a majority.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just realized something... The longer the senate pushes off the trial, the longer there is to collect evidence against trump

:popcorn:
Or the longer it's pushed off the sooner the Senate Repubs who might currently have a conscience about the incident might slink back to their normal voting pattern.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Or the longer it's pushed off the sooner the Senate Repubs who might currently have a conscience about the incident might slink back to their normal voting pattern.
Unlikely, but ok. Maybe if evidence comes to light that d2s was complicit in the planning.

Also we get closer to when the new Dem senators from GA get sworn in.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I heard a semantic argument earlier that stated in impeachment is against a president, and conviction wouldn't be possible because he would not be a current president but rather an ex-president. Interested to see how that plays.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I heard a semantic argument earlier that stated in impeachment is against a president, and conviction wouldn't be possible because he would not be a current president but rather an ex-president. Interested to see how that plays.
That's a bullshit argument for a lot of reasons, but mainly because legally speaking an impeachment is akin to an indictment.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
That's a bullshit argument for a lot of reasons, but mainly because legally speaking an impeachment is akin to an indictment.
Agreed, and the argument was that it's pointless because they could not convict on a charge that is only applicable against a sitting president.

Again, semantic argument.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Agreed, and the argument was that it's pointless because they could not convict on a charge that is only applicable against a sitting president.

Again, semantic argument.
Again, bullshit, an indictment isn't invalidated because the individual's term of office is over.

The Nixon situation was different. He resigned before he was impeached. If he resigned after he would have been impeached it wouldn't have invalidated the impeachment (indictment).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Again, bullshit, an indictment isn't invalidated because the individual's term of office is over.

The Nixon situation was different. He resigned before he was impeached. If he resigned after he would have been impeached it wouldn't have invalidated the impeachment (indictment).
Not to mention the fact that Ford immediately Pardoned Nixon for his Watergate Crimes