Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:tinfoil:
watch for Venezuela military action red-herring and hollow flexing of muscles towards Russia (who by the way DT is SO WAY tough on) to offer much needed distraction....

/end :tinfoil:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
FAA just shut down La Guardia inbound due to staffing.

LaGuardia Inbound Flights Halted as Shutdown Crimps FAA https://www.bloomberg.com/news/live-blog/2019-01-24/u-s-enters-day-35-of-government-shutdown
The original article said delays, not shutdown. We'll see how this progresses. Often, in the case of emergencies, these centers have the ability to pass on their functions to other geographic centers, although I'm sure they have less excess capacity right now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The original article said delays, not shutdown. We'll see how this progresses. Often, in the case of emergencies, these centers have the ability to pass on their functions to other geographic centers, although I'm sure they have less excess capacity right now.
They changed it. Originally said shut down.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They changed it. Originally said shut down.
Thing about ATC is they are very skittish, usually the last to take a stand/strike. Ever since Reagan fired all of them in the 80s, they are pretty adverse to making a scene. The union has been screaming for the past few weeks, but this is one of the areas where it's easy for managers to convince workers to "work without pay" because "remember what happened last time you acted out".

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thing about ATC is they are very skittish, usually the last to take a stand/strike. Ever since Reagan fired all of them in the 80s, they are pretty adverse to making a scene. The union has been screaming for the past few weeks, but this is one of the areas where it's easy for managers to convince workers to "work without pay" because "remember what happened last time you acted out".
But are there enough ATC to replace the existing number? Between military and retirees who will cross, are there enough to cover the need? From what I've read, the answer is no.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But are there enough ATC to replace the existing number? Between military and retirees who will cross, are there enough to cover the need? From what I've read, the answer is no.
But that's like any industry. Really, if the people could do something en-mass, they'd always make the business bow to their demands unless they were totally unrealistic (like pay everyone 1 million dollars). With ATC, they are extra-skittish because management really did follow through with the "we'll replace you threat". Even if it's not realistic, I doubt we'll see those guys drawing the line in the sand, maybe TSA or some other government agencies. I could be wrong, but that's been my view of ATC. There are plenty of other critical FAA functions that the public doesn't see which could affect transportation, it would be more likely there, such as Tech Ops, the guys that go around fixing navigation aids and instrument landing systems (although that makes an even bigger push to switch everything to GPS), but simple stuff like approach lights break and need to be fixed and affect when you can land during weather events.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do they hire for meekness? Because that's kinda bullshit. If I had *any* manager-type say that sort of horseshit to me, I'd tell them, "Well, <manager>, let's just consider this my two-week notice. And by two-week I mean you can pay me for the next two weeks, but I'm walking out that door right over there right now. Ski ya later."

:D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Trump: "I demand that you fund my wall that I said I would shut down the government over that I also said Mexico will pay for!"

Dems: "no"

Trump: "okay"

ART OF THE DEAL!
I have the feeling that La Guardia shutting down was a big lever that drove the party to tell him "we're doing this. You find a way to make it look better for you".
At least people will be getting checks for a while here.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Do they hire for meekness? Because that's kinda bullshit. If I had *any* manager-type say that sort of horseshit to me, I'd tell them, "Well, <manager>, let's just consider this my two-week notice. And by two-week I mean you can pay me for the next two weeks, but I'm walking out that door right over there right now. Ski ya later."

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
How can this shit actually be true??

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-claps-back-at-sarah-huckabee-sanders-2019-1

Sanders: "I don't think we're going to listen to her on much of anything, particularly not on matters that we're going to leave in to the hands of a much, much higher authority," Sanders said on Sean Hannity's Fox News program on Tuesday night. She argued that the country should leave the fate of the planet in "the hands of something and someone much more powerful than any of us,"

May the @FSM have mercy on her soul.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
How can this shit actually be true??

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-claps-back-at-sarah-huckabee-sanders-2019-1

Sanders: "I don't think we're going to listen to her on much of anything, particularly not on matters that we're going to leave in to the hands of a much, much higher authority," Sanders said on Sean Hannity's Fox News program on Tuesday night. She argued that the country should leave the fate of the planet in "the hands of something and someone much more powerful than any of us,"

May the @FSM have mercy on her soul.

* Requires a soul.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

An ATC has the skills to work for exactly one employer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
An ATC has the skills to work for exactly one employer.
Serco

Now, most of the employees work as contract air traffic control either due to not being able to get on with the Gov due to not meeting the age limits or they use them as entry-level positions to try and one day secure a government ATC job. There are big problems with accountability for the contract ATC services and towers, but the option does exist, especially if you want to be stationed in Bethel, Alaska. Controllers striking/not coming to work if they aren't paid-would probably make the case even stronger for privatization of air traffic control. There are certain government responsibilities that I believe can not be contracted out or deferred.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have the feeling that La Guardia shutting down was a big lever that drove the party to tell him "we're doing this. You find a way to make it look better for you".
At least people will be getting checks for a while here.
More likely to remive the stone Indictment as the top story.