Quantcast

Trust me...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Except for the transmission in the Pacifica Hybrid, the e-flite or SI-CVT. That's the same two motor design invented by TRW and used by Toyota, Ford, etc. Very simple, very reliable, and very much not something Chrysler invented on their own.
Do they manufacture that design?

I've spent time in their Kokomo transmission plant, not the finest example of American manufacturing. Actually a fucking nightmare.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I saw one of these in person this weekend at the Philly Bike Expo. It was mounted on the front of a custom built steel hardtail for a guy who lives in SLC and apparently is buddies with the Trust gang. The framebuilder just received it on Friday before the show and mounted it that night for display on Saturday.

as one who's not afraid of unconventional tech and/or aesthetics (it's actually kinda sorta growing on me), i'd totally give one a go - if there were tangible benefits. but not at that price. even half the price would be a stretch.
I'd love to ride it too, but agree I wouldn't even consider buying one unless it was closer to 1/3 the price. I'm not sure I ride hard enough or am perceptive enough to notice subtle differences, so it would have to very tangibly different to justify it for me.

One thing though - it be feckin huge! Kinda makes the rest of the bike look a bit malnourished.
Exactly, I was initially shocked at how physically large it is, which makes it looks especially out of place on a steel hardtail. It is about the same or maybe slightly larger legs than a Fox 40.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It would be easy to introduce a new axle standard and/or new steer standard in combination with this fork. Clearly you don't think like a lizard.
Proper lizard form is to make the upcoming cheaper version use a new standard to make up for its cheaper-ness.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Call me crazy, but I kinda liked the way to old AMP linkage forks looked.

These ones are all wrong for me, from a design standpoint. I know they'll have thought of how this looks, but can someone explain to me why the linkage and damper has to be down low, instead of up around the steer tube? I'm guess it would have to do with frame clearance, and where to place the damper unit itself? I wonder if a straight 1.5" steerer tube would have room to fit a damper?

I'm still curious to see how these ride. especially in steep (really steep), low-speed, turning scenarios.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These ones are all wrong for me, from a design standpoint. I know they'll have thought of how this looks, but can someone explain to me why the linkage and damper has to be down low, instead of up around the steer tube? I'm guess it would have to do with frame clearance, and where to place the damper unit itself? I wonder if a straight 1.5" steerer tube would have room to fit a damper?
my guess is that it puts the mass, and therefor CoG, lower. and probably something about material deflection vs travel

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
A bit of a review from Lee Likes Bikes. Not sure if he's mounted it on his rip row yet. https://www.leelikesbikes.com/trust-message-fork-my-first-four-rides.html
The Trust Message fork went on my 2016 S-Works Stumpjumper. I’ve been riding this bike for three seasons on a range of trails, bike parks and even lift-served downhills. It’s a fantastic, versatile bike. It’s worn 27.5×3 tires, 29×2.3/2.5 tires and now 27.5×2.8 tires.
I don't TRUST the opinion of anyone riding 2.8 tires

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I want one, if I sold one bike I could afford it, sadly the only bike I have worth anything is the one I would put the fork on.

Gift of the message this season for me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Did anyone get one in the RM secret Santa? I thought we'd have at least a couple of generous dentists on here.

Edit- Puking oil is a bit of a stretch, if they use a DT Equalizer shock in there that would be a normal amount of oil.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They didn't count on somebody who actually rides a lot being able to afford one....the lacemine guy is pretty weird but he seems to know his stuff.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Oh, that's required? I suppose I should get in line. Dentists, outta the way.
DW is gonna need to develop a new breed of bike rider. The dental engineer will have the disposable income, lack of sense, and also the technical ability to properly set up this fork.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Nope, just not riding it correctly.
Right. Like the review of the other guy stated:
"It's so overdamped on compression that you can't go fast on anything other than buttery smooth dirt."
The trust effect only works on dentist approved smoooooth trails. Right on target. Nothing wrong here.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Right. Like the review of the other guy stated:
"It's so overdamped on compression that you can't go fast on anything other than buttery smooth dirt."
The trust effect only works on dentist approved smoooooth trails. Right on target. Nothing wrong here.
Most pro level suspension is overdamped and harsh for us mere mortals. I'm not saying this is the case with this fork, but maybe that's why a competent rider is able to perform as the one on Trust's promotional video.

Or maybe it's just the trail is tamed as fuck :D.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I don't trust anyone who calls 13.5" high BB "too low".

He most def knows his shit. And for where/what he rides, a higher BB isn't a bad thing. I say that as someone who has ridden a lot of the same stuff, and really like lower BBH.

IMO, if he thinks the fork is fucked up, it's fucked up. Now, due to a his/their/manufacturing/pre-production error is still unknown.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
He sometimes comes across as a condescending and will make snap-judgements on how and where people ride, as do I, but I think I'm a little more aware of it. There are numerous examples, one where he was trying to say that "any rider" can ride the stuff he rides. Well, no, they can't, some have physical limitations where body parts just don't work like designed, not just mental handicaps, and it was a bit of an ass-move to say that "everyone" can ride it in the context he did. Still, he's got a lot of experience and miles and is generally a trustworthy guy. We cheered his wife on this year as she passed our impromptu iditarod drinking party out on the trail in the middle of nowhere (were we were offering racers cookies and adult beverages). He seems to get called on the snap-judgement a little more now and seems to have throttled it back some. When you boil it all down, at $2700 this fork should damn near set itself up and it shouldn't be very hard to dial in. I've been through the "tried every setting" thing recently myself on the 34, which in the end according to Push had a "crazy heavy" stack on the piston that accounted for the terrible performance and crazy pressures I was running. Once you get to that point where you've tried everything it's hard to come back and say "you didn't set it up right" or "you just don't get it". At this price it should have at least a semi-custom tune job on it to dial it in close.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I just started reading, but they put it on a 150mm bike that came with a 160 fork that was an inch longer a-c? That seems like a wierd way to test it. If you were interested in this fork wouldn't it be for a shorter travel frame that came with a fork the same length? Sometimes people upgrade to a fork 1cm longer but nobody goes 2cm shorter.

Okay, I finished and if sounds like the damper was broken but Trust wouldn't admit that. How else do you explain only getting 80% travel with no air in it and then Trust saying they could get full travel.
The steerer tube thing is just weird and makes Truat sound like an odd company to deal with.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just started reading, but they put it on a 150mm bike that came with a 160 fork that was an inch longer a-c? That seems like a wierd way to test it. If you were interested in this fork wouldn't it be for a shorter travel frame that came with a fork the same length? Sometimes people upgrade to a fork 1cm longer but nobody goes 2cm shorter.
That is The Message™ that Trust™ has supplied, since it doesn't sink when you brake, you have moar travel and it is supposed to be moar better than conventional forks.

We also found with trailing multi-link design that the numbers aren’t as critical as they once were. After years of riding prototypes, we learned that our contour travel is more versatile than telescopic travel and that one product is suitable for a wider range of axle-to-crown lengths and travels.

Trust Performance front suspension works differently, so changes to steering angles and axle-to-crown heights (called “AC heights”) have less influence on how your bike will handle. For example, the Message can replace 29/27.5+ telescopic suspension forks with 110mm to 150mm of travel, and 27.5 telescopic forks with 130mm to 150mm of travel.

Skeptical? We don’t blame you, we felt the same way. We didn't set out to build a product that replaced a wide range of forks—it’s something we learned from riding it. But one thing is remarkably clear: it’s caused us to question everything we thought we knew about front suspension fit.