Quantcast

Trust me...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd still love to try one, but I don't want to pay for one.

I think it's very interesting that they talk about not being able to ride as fast because they don't know what to expect from the fork. Isn't this what killed DWs motocross aspirations? Even if the suspension is fundamentally superior, if you can't ride it as fast, then it's not better. I wish they would tone down the "trust effect" marketspeak, and focus on why this fork is better, or price is competitively to the vastly superior forks that are already on the market.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That quote of yours is taken from the Marketing Manager of Trust. Which puts into another light immo.

Kazimer's final thoughts are a bit different.

"If the Shout's on-trail performance trounced that of a traditional telescoping fork it'd be easier to look past its price, weight, and looks. Unfortunately, that's not the case. While there are intriguing elements to its handling, they're not quite enough to outshine the current crop of high-end telescoping forks on the market."

Make of it what you want. Maybe they didn't pay enough, maybe the testers weren't open enough for the change in riding feel, I don't know. 4 months is a relatively long testing period I think. I would give it a try if I had the chance, but I would never spend the amount of cash for one.
i find it curious that the review included no timed testing

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's funny the review also mentioned steep smooth trails. Do those even exist?

I guess when no one got the message, they had to shout. What's next, a Scream?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Works like sports-car suspension...not like trophy-truck. Would be perfect for cross-racing evidently.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Works like sports-car suspension...not like trophy-truck. Would be perfect for cross-racing evidently.
i'm curious to see how it compares to suspension tuned for top level pro racers, who are known for running their suspension much stiffer than mortals.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Shout was designed to provide riders with unparalleled traction, stability, and control at speed. It wasn’t designed to mimic the feel of a traditional telescopic fork. It’s a linkage system—a fundamentally different platform that allows the front of your bike to reap the benefits the rear has for years. So, hell yes it feels different! Sure, you may feel sensations you’ve never felt before—but that’s performance at work.

If you can ditch your years of telescopic experience and accept that Trust suspension will change how you ride, it’ll likely come down to this: looking for something that’s soft and comfortable? Get yourself a Buick. But if you can handle high-speed and crave performance, get a Porsche. Here at Trust, it's straightforward: we're all about riding and making shit for those who like to go fast.—Ben Craner, Marketing Manager Trust Performance

damn, that's some cringey marketing wank. feeling sensations i've never felt before? oooh, i'll pay double for that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Twice the $ for a heavier fork that underperforms in terrain where it matters!
but does it? that review was purely subjective (not that there's anything wrong with subjective opinions on something, that's pretty much all we do here), and is why i'm asking why there were no timed runs on it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've noticed a bit of an interesting trend with the Trust

Reviewers who get the fork for free because they work for big media companies and generally good riders and have ridden just about everything are decidedly unimpressed with it, the comment section is always full of people who paid for them telling the reviewers that they're wrong. My conclusion, the more you pay for something, the better you think it works and most people really can't tell the difference between good and bad suspension.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Reviewers who get the fork for free because they work for big media companies and generally good riders and have ridden just about everything are decidedly unimpressed with it
i remember reading at least one article on their original fork that included timed testing, and the trust fork was indeed faster despite not "feeling" as "good"

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
but does it? that review was purely subjective (not that there's anything wrong with subjective opinions on something, that's pretty much all we do here), and is why i'm asking why there were no timed runs on it.
Newsletter subscribed. Can we give this man a trust fork and a stopwatch. A lot of words written about this fork but not a lot of numbers

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
i remember reading at least one article on their original fork that included timed testing, and the trust fork was indeed faster despite not "feeling" as "good"
While a valid point, I suspect that the people singing it's praises haven't timed anything either, so it's a subjective opinion countering a subjective opinion. For 99.9% of the cycling world being a bit faster while on the clock is irrelevant, being more comfortable however is very important.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While a valid point, I suspect that the people singing it's praises haven't timed anything either, so it's a subjective opinion countering a subjective opinion.
that's a bingo!

For 99.9% of the cycling world being a bit faster while on the clock is irrelevant
have you heard of an app called strava? :clue:

we're on the same page here really. i'm looking at it purely from a performance aspect (ie timed runs), and i do agree with you on the comfort aspect. i'd bet if we had PB or some other reviewers ride some world cup pro tuned suspension, they'd likely have similar similar takeaways regarding comfort as the trust forks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Shout was designed to provide riders with unparalleled traction, stability, and control at speed. It wasn’t designed to mimic the feel of a traditional telescopic fork. It’s a linkage system—a fundamentally different platform that allows the front of your bike to reap the benefits the rear has for years. So, hell yes it feels different! Sure, you may feel sensations you’ve never felt before—but that’s performance at work.

If you can ditch your years of telescopic experience and accept that Trust suspension will change how you ride, it’ll likely come down to this: looking for something that’s soft and comfortable? Get yourself a Buick. But if you can handle high-speed and crave performance, get a Porsche. Here at Trust, it's straightforward: we're all about riding and making shit for those who like to go fast.—Ben Craner, Marketing Manager Trust Performance

damn, that's some cringey marketing wank. feeling sensations i've never felt before? oooh, i'll pay double for that.
#ItsAFeature

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
It was a Trust article, so couldn't help myself but dig into the comments section...and oh man are there a lot of panicked Trust owners responding in there. Its like they are experiencing a mental street fight between their ego, buyer's remorse, and inner carbon/DW fanboy

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
i'd bet if we had PB or some other reviewers ride some world cup pro tuned suspension, they'd likely have similar similar takeaways regarding comfort as the trust forks.
But they're not comparing it to WC pro tuned suspension.
They're comparing it to high end consumer suspension, which is exactly where the trust fork is positioned in the market.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
"we're all about... making shit." —Ben Craner, Marketing Manager Trust Performance

Sums it up!

Actual quote "we're all about riding and making shit for those who like to go fast".—Ben Craner, Marketing Manager Trust Performance

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
But they're not comparing it to WC pro tuned suspension.
They're comparing it to high end consumer suspension, which is exactly where the trust fork is positioned in the market.
High end consumer suspension isn't $2k though...

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Back when I used to have disposable income to play with cars, I took my old Buick Riviera out to race tracks a couple of times just for fun. The day this picture was taken, my lap time was faster than the guy in the white 993, just because I was a better driver.
BuRPsmall.JPG

I'll stick to my Buick-equivalent fork. I think I'll have more fun spending $2k on MTB vacations than shaving 5 seconds off my Strave PR.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Was wishing dw had a smash hit on his hands. Isn't there quite yet.