Quantcast

Trust me...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Now that trails are closed building a curb smasher seems like a good idea.

Just kidding, I only huck off curbs, I use the wheelchair ramps to get up them.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Who knew trying to run an MTB company the same way you run a shitty app company in Silicon Valley wouldn't pan out? You'd think that gaggle of industry vets would realize how insignificant this industry is. RIP, luckily they're probably too small to have had any actual employees in the first place, so nobody innocent lost their job here.

I still want one of these stupid things so I huck curbs and collect dust, I just need more depreciation.

Give it a week, they'll be $83 before you know it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i’m amazed they even found 1000 suckers
Not that surprising, only about every 200th dentist in the US bought one, even less if you consider the forks sold abroad and those 100+ forks that were given for free to youtubers and bike media outlets. So there is a huge market waiting to get the message! Maybe a gravel fork in collab with Rapha?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Not that surprising, only about every 200th dentist in the US bought one, even less if you consider the forks sold abroad and those 100+ forks that were given for free to youtubers and bike media outlets. So there is a huge market waiting to get the message! Maybe a gravel fork in collab with Rapha?
nope, we only collab with quality brands (or make our own)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Exactly.

Trust guys read too many issues of Fast Company.

Following that thread...I wonder if they ever intended to run a linkage fork business long term or was the plan to ultimately sell the IP to Spec, Trek, whoever.

“Serial Entrepooneur”

Who knew trying to run an MTB company the same way you run a shitty app company in Silicon Valley wouldn't pan out? You'd think that gaggle of industry vets would realize how insignificant this industry is. RIP, luckily they're probably too small to have had any actual employees in the first place, so nobody innocent lost their job here.

Give it a week, they'll be $83 before you know it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm still wondering why didn't they go straight with a gravel/XC fork, given the platform's characteristics. They could have ended with a much lighter end product, with a simpler damper, and probably with a cheaper MSRP. TBH their speech for their trail offering "it has 135mm of travel but yields the same performance of a 160mm telescopic fork" was hard to digest.

Most if not all of the XC bikes are already 29ers, so they would have had a much more specific product. And deriving a gravel version would have been trivial.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Exactly.

Following that thread...I wonder if they ever intended to run a linkage fork business long term or was the plan to ultimately sell the IP to Spec, Trek, whoever.

“Serial Entrepooneur”

Happens a lot around these parts.

Not just tech industry either. Alta motors is a prime example of this failure. The owners/founders never intended to run it long term. Just to start, get it going, and sell it. Sold some IP to Polaris now they are gone.
RIP best electric dirt bike ever made.

People just want to put in the initial effort and "cash in". Few really want/can to deal with the realities of running a company for the long term. That involves effort and stuff and sometimes you "gasp" might lose money.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not just tech industry either. Alta motors is a prime example of this failure. The owners/founders never intended to run it long term. Just to start, get it going, and sell it. Sold some IP to Polaris now they are gone.
That most certainly was NOT alta's business plan.

they let in some shit head investors that did the stupid

And it tanking had to do with harley, not polaris.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Wasn’t someone here working for them?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Exactly.

“Serial Entrepooneur”
Just about any company in Silicon Valley would be testing for product/market fit before major investing. It would be really tough to get a second round of funding without it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Trust picked the right market IMHO. Gravel dorks and XC guys are weight weenies first and foremost, and the thing just was t going to compete with a Sid or 32SC on weight, marginal suspension improvements wouldn’t be able to overcome that. Plus the Lauf already exists and does everything the gravel geezers and those oddballs who buy Black Sheep abd Moots Ti softails want, but it costs and weighs less than the Trust.

Harley ruin an otherwise awesome motorcycle company, are you sure? That just doesn’t sound like something they would do.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The lauf also makes horrible shrieks when ridden slightly aggressively. It's entertaining.

Trust picked the right market IMHO. Gravel dorks and XC guys are weight weenies first and foremost, and the thing just was t going to compete with a Sid or 32SC on weight, marginal suspension improvements wouldn’t be able to overcome that. Plus the Lauf already exists and does everything the gravel geezers and those oddballs who buy Black Sheep abd Moots Ti softails want, but it costs and weighs less than the Trust.

Harley ruin an otherwise awesome motorcycle company, are you sure? That just doesn’t sound like something they would do.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

Hmm, not quite sure about that. Not mentioning names, but I am pretty familiar with the main players. Most of them had done this in the past, started and then sold businesses off, multiple times. Pretty sure one of them told me to my face that was the intention (but I had been drinking).

Harley was the "customer", but then backed out/screwed them over or whatever. Polaris or someone similar came in and grabbed the IP scraps after they shut the doors. But they were hurting for cash way before that. If the owners/founders really wanted to create and own an electric moto company for the long run, they would not have acted as they did.

For a comparison, look at Zero motorcycles. Started in 2006, still around, still run by the guy that started it. Not started to sell off and move on to the next project. I am sure he had some lean years and maybe some offers to buy it, but didn't dump the company.

Such a shame because those Alta bikes were killer!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
That's Laufter.

At the owner.
fixed.

in all seriousness has anyone actually ridden one of these? Hideousness aside it *seems* like it has a few logical benefits. *But* a complete moron such as myself can’t help but wonder why, if the supposed benefits are so great it never went anywhere with motocross bikes?What with their r&d budgets that have to make anything done on a bicycle seem completely laughable by comparison... don’t mind me...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
fixed.

in all seriousness has anyone actually ridden one of these? Hideousness aside it *seems* like it has a few logical benefits. *But* a complete moron such as myself can’t help but wonder why, if the supposed benefits are so great it never went anywhere with motocross bikes?What with their r&d budgets that have to make anything done on a bicycle seem completely laughable by comparison... don’t mind me...
A good friend did test one a few years ago. He said once you leave any IMBA style trails and find moar irregular terrain the front wheel starts jumping side to side. In his own words, "The steering precision gets driven by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hmm, not quite sure about that. Not mentioning names, but I am pretty familiar with the main players.
Unless it's marc derrek or jeff they came on later. Sounds like you know one of the investors or someone they brought in.

Marc is a good friend of mine. Literally the CEO going back 8 or 9 years to founding BRD after jeff and derrek got together and decided to do electric bikes. I've been skiing/biking with marc for about 15 years after I met him on here. I know that they were mixed on relinquishing controlling interest which is where they brought in the investment douchebaggery that eventually sunk them. I don't really know jeff or derrek but I definitely know what marc thought of it the whole time.

Besides it was BRP/skidoo you're thinking of, not polaris.

I agree though, those bikes are fuggin sweet and it's painful to know they're not getting further developed.

Last edited: